Around The League V.2

Totty

On 7/1/2023 at 12:24 PM, bucksavage1 said:

I can’t wait to watch the Chiefs demise this season. I personally think their weapons outside of Kelce (who could show his age this season) might struggle. KC Offensive Tackles looks questionable with Mr Hold Donovan Smith at LT and Jawaan Taylor is serviceable but not at the level Orlando Brown was. Maxx is licking his chops

I do like some of their players on defense but none can guard Adams or even Renfrow 

KC before the deadline will be looking to acquire help on Offense 

i think Toney and Moore can be something for them. Also, Mahomes is that guy, unfortunately. 

22 minutes ago, Geezy said:

i think Toney and Moore can be something for them. Also, Mahomes is that guy, unfortunately. 

Mahomes is the best QB in the league no doubt. But KC needs someone to be a #1 WR outside of Kelce. Toney and Moore haven’t been more (no pun intended lol) than #3 WRs and would need to make a leap to ascend to #1. Losing Juju  could surprising hurt them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Mahomes is the best QB in the league no doubt. But KC needs someone to be a #1 WR outside of Kelce. Toney and Moore haven’t been more (no pun intended lol) than #3 WRs and would need to make a leap to ascend to #1. Losing Juju  could surprising hurt them

I agree. 

I don't care oif Mahomes is THAT guy, no one player cam do it on their own week in, week out. Some don't require the same level of skill around them as others do, but the Chiefs have been in a few years of diminishing value outside of Mahomes and Kelce. 

THAT guy can make a bona-fide #3 look like a low quality #1, yes. But the Chiefs are inching towards that point where age of the established stars is going to start to coincide with #4 types being treated like 1's (caveat being theybcould always get lucky and find that rare perfect fit or draft a star out-of nowhere). On paper, they're not as daunting as they were a couple years ago, and I wouldn't bet on them being more daunting in reality. 

Happens to most everyone at some point. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I agree. 

I don't care oif Mahomes is THAT guy, no one player cam do it on their own week in, week out. Some don't require the same level of skill around them as others do, but the Chiefs have been in a few years of diminishing value outside of Mahomes and Kelce. 

THAT guy can make a bona-fide #3 look like a low quality #1, yes. But the Chiefs are inching towards that point where age of the established stars is going to start to coincide with #4 types being treated like 1's (caveat being theybcould always get lucky and find that rare perfect fit or draft a star out-of nowhere). On paper, they're not as daunting as they were a couple years ago, and I wouldn't bet on them being more daunting in reality. 

Happens to most everyone at some point. 

They'll most likely become like the Packers with Rodgers.  Always have a shot because of Pat, but no guarantees because of the constant flux of the rest of the roster.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 11:15 AM, true2form said:

They'll most likely become like the Packers with Rodgers.  Always have a shot because of Pat, but no guarantees because of the constant flux of the rest of the roster.

Yup. 

With how QB contracts are going, it's just going to become yearly roulette at some point with the odd tier 2 QB with a stacked roster thrown into the mix. The great QBs will do enough to compete and it'll be a battle of midling overall teams. 

I forget the GM that said it (may have been a coach, actually), but the theory of "draft a QB somewhere every year" is probably going to slowly become "draft a 1st round QB every 3-4 years and avoid the cap hit". Get you a guy, let him get paid elsewhere. Grab a new guy. If he doesn't work, onto the next. We've seen way too many massive QB contacts hamstring would-be SB contenders for me to wanna pay anyone. GB being a prime example- if Rodgers could never get it done despite them not having a "bad" or even really a "mediocre" squad, nobody is going to with the consistency expected of the massive contracts and their fallout. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Eli Manning was never a top 5 QB in terms of play or pay*, but hovered more in the top 1/2 to 1/3 of the league and squeezed out 2 rings despite playing his best years against prime competition in the NFC QB arena and the shadow of Brady looming annually. 

QB is, as always, the sexy pick. Good trenches, solid D, and a well balanced attack coupled with competent coaching > Stat Gods every day for me though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yup. 

With how QB contracts are going, it's just going to become yearly roulette at some point with the odd tier 2 QB with a stacked roster thrown into the mix. The great QBs will do enough to compete and it'll be a battle of midling overall teams. 

I forget the GM that said it (may have been a coach, actually), but the theory of "draft a QB somewhere every year" is probably going to slowly become "draft a 1st round QB every 3-4 years and avoid the cap hit". Get you a guy, let him get paid elsewhere. Grab a new guy. If he doesn't work, onto the next. We've seen way too many massive QB contacts hamstring would-be SB contenders for me to wanna pay anyone. GB being a prime example- if Rodgers could never get it done despite them not having a "bad" or even really a "mediocre" squad, nobody is going to with the consistency expected of the massive contracts and their fallout. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Eli Manning was never a top 5 QB in terms of play or pay*, but hovered more in the top 1/2 to 1/3 of the league and squeezed out 2 rings despite playing his best years against prime competition in the NFC QB arena and the shadow of Brady looming annually. 

QB is, as always, the sexy pick. Good trenches, solid D, and a well balanced attack coupled with competent coaching > Stat Gods every day for me though. 

Mahomes Burrow Lawrence Allen Jackson Hurts. Do they all have in common? All of their defenses are in the top half the league in points allowed(all of them but the chiefs are in the top 11).

The inconvenient truth that nobody realizes nor wants to accept. You want to win in this league you have to stop people if you want to win. Simply changing the quarterback when you're perennially bottom half of the league in stoping people from scoring doesn't move the needle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Mahomes Burrow Lawrence Allen Jackson Hurts. Do they all have in common? All of their defenses are in the top half the league in points allowed(all of them but the chiefs are in the top 11).

The inconvenient truth that nobody realizes nor wants to accept. You want to win in this league you have to stop people if you want to win. Simply changing the quarterback when you're perennially bottom half of the league in stoping people from scoring doesn't move the needle.

It goes both ways. You named the best QBs which all can sustain drives with their feet (maybe not so much burrow) and not throw a lot of interceptions. A good QB can let his defense rest a little or give them confidence he gots their back if they fail and lets them play more loose. That being said we have not had a great def with our poor drafting but the QB hasn't done them any favors either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raiderlife24 said:

It goes both ways. You named the best QBs which all can sustain drives with their feet (maybe not so much burrow) and not throw a lot of interceptions. A good QB can let his defense rest a little or give them confidence he gots their back if they fail and lets them play more loose. That being said we have not had a great def with our poor drafting but the QB hasn't done them any favors either. 

The Saints didn't have a quarterback last year and they weren't bottom five in defense. The   commanders steelers & Jets weren't either. They were rotating quarterbacks. The defense has to stop people. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 12:32 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Seems to be the Eagle's plan even when Reid was coach. Always drafting in the trenches and having a decent D and no horrible coaches. 

11 hours ago, G said:

Seems to be the Eagle's plan even when Reid was coach. Always drafting in the trenches and having a decent D and no horrible coaches. 

Except that time Reid promoted offensive line coach Juan Castillo to defensive coordinator.