Around The League V.2

Totty

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They have a nice 3 year window between 2020-2022 where he won't be taking up more than 15% of their total cap. And even with that considered when he starts making $40M+ in 2023 the salary cap should be significantly higher because the NFL's TV deal will likely increase from $3B to $6B annually. 

And he'll renegotiate like everybody does

Looking at Mahomes contract it's interesting to note that they can pretty much get out of the deal anytime after the 2022 season. He only has $4M in dead cap in 2023 and $2M in dead cap in 2024 with zero dead cap from 2025-2031. 

29 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

What team has a better 1WR, 2WR, TE and QB than the KC?

Ill take browns saints cowboys and bucs offense as a whole. Oline and rb and wrs and tightend over the chiefs. Mahommes and andy is the reason they are

28 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Ill take browns saints cowboys and bucs offense as a whole. Oline and rb and wrs and tightend over the chiefs. Mahommes and andy is the reason they are

KC has the best deep threat WR, the best TE and the best QB in the NFL.

21 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

KC has the best deep threat WR, the best TE and the best QB in the NFL.

Yeah i know they got best qb in the league thats the point of this debate. But without mahommes what is this team with winston or brees or dak. Thats kinda the point. 

Just FYI the “cheap ‘21 cap number” is the same amount as he would have gotten from the 5th year option.

I also don’t believe the cap will jump as highly they once expected it to due to a new TV deal.

This was a very cap friendly deal for KC. While it likely means they won’t be able to keep Chris Jones it won’t impact their ability to win more Championships.  What it will do is limit the a degree of error in assembling their team.

Every year teams “waste” 20-40M in cap due to poor FA signings (like Joyner last year), keeping highly paid players an extra year when they could have been cut and replaced at the same level by a much cheaper player (Gabe Jackson / Denzel Good), or just “excessive dead cap”.  Note: the examples i used are just that examples of situations on our team, their not perfect examples but we’re familiar with them.

KC unfortunately can continue to win if they:

1) lock up their key players early, before they hit FA market and cost more.

2) replace highly paid starters “average” (Sammy Watkins $17M, Anthony Hitchens $13M, Alex Okafor $7M) with some good “value” FA signings or draft picks that are developed.  That’s $37M right there.

3) Hit on mid to late round picks to replace “highly paid Marginal starters/backups” like Daniel Sorenson $5M, Damien Wilson $5M.  That’s $10M right there.

4) Hit on 1-3rd rounders you get solid starters on cheap 4+1 deals.  (Luckily for us KC hasn’t drafted to well in this regard:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/draft.htm )

Paying Mahomes just makes the margin of error in building the team much lower and a few bad moves and the team can go from competitor for SB to a barely playoff team, albeit Mahomes + Hill + Kelce make the floor a perennial playoff contender at least.

Edited by jimkelly02

2 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Yeah i know they got best qb in the league thats the point of this debate. But without mahommes what is this team with winston or brees or dak. Thats kinda the point. 

Did you forget that Alex Smith led this team to the playoffs 3 years ago? That's how strong KC is.

KC would of probably still won the super bowl if Brees or Wilson where the QB. I doubt Mahomes could of won with any other team because the underneath stuff is not his strong suit.

35 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Did you forget that Alex Smith led this team to the playoffs 3 years ago? That's how strong KC is.

KC would of probably still won the super bowl if Brees or Wilson where the QB. I doubt Mahomes could of won with any other team because the underneath stuff is not his strong suit.

Meh or maybe give props to Andy Reid maybe... 

Yeah it's painfull.

The end of the AL Davis era was very hard, but seeing how both the Broncos and Chiefs in that time go from the McDaniels- & Haley/Crennel-disasters to ending up in 3 Superbowls winning two of them and knowing the Chiefs have Mahomes tied up is probably even harder. Especially considering that for a brief moment i thought we had a 5 year window to compete for a SB.

Ravens said that the max fans allowed for their home games would be 14,000 if they're able to have fans at all. I think we're at a point where we will see some fans in the stadiums and cant wait to see the 3rd party ticket sites and how much the prices go up. 

Edited by agarcia34