• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Vance
    • Mac

25 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I've seen a few of these polls around the web and I'm curious what our small, highly-informed lot of fans thinks of the Broncos current head coaches. 

Can you separate the choices?   Fangio gets a much higher grade than Kubs for me (others may feel differently).

I mean, apparently we hired 2 guys to run the team, so.....:D

I am impressed you put Mac below VJ, though.  Right call lol.

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Can you separate the choices?   Fangio gets a much higher grade than Kubs for me (others may feel differently).

I mean, apparently we hired 2 guys to run the team, so.....:D

I am impressed you put Mac below VJ, though.  Right call lol.

The one thing that I do like about it though is that at least Kubiak seems unlikely to go anywhere. I mean, that's always the fear with a defensive head coach, right? You get the OC, your offense balls out, and then you lose your coordinator and everything goes to crap. 

I give the Fangio selection at HC a B+. I would have rolled the dice on Zac Taylor personally, but only if we went rebuild and were ready for a rough patch that leads to healthy internal growth. That isnt what Elway wants. Fangio was the best avaliable for 'win right now' options. He should whip this defense into even better shape, and with some luck our offense could be good enough for us to make the playoffs and get beat by a truly good team.

Kubiak is a D. I want fresh blood and a clear structure that has top down accountability. And no possibility of favorites being an issue. Elway put himself into a tough situation, especially is the defense underperforms. Does he boot Vic? Do the coaches go behind each others backs and approach Elway if things get bad? Whats the backup plan? And is Kubiak, and his 1998 style PA offense, really worth all this friggin trouble? I dont think so, but I have been wrong before.

7 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

If anyone feels that these are C hires, I would like to hear their alternative options they would have preferred. Or heck even if you rate it A or B. 

So, @Royal_VT I can't really imagine rating the hires at less than a solid B. To me thats simple. They're easily in the top 10 OC's and DC's in the league. IMO, thats an easy B. Whether or not they perform above or below that level is yet to be seen. In a few years they could be an A or a D, no way to tell.

In a vacuum these are very “meh” hires. Unfortunately this was not a year to be  in need of a new HC. 

Compared to what other teams are doing (looking at you Browns, Jets, Cardinals) by trying to roll the dice on the next Sean McVey? I like what we did. Tampa (thus far) is the only team who made coaching changes that I would prefer to who we’ve hired.

Compared to what other teams are doing (looking at you Browns, Jets, Cardinals) by trying to roll the dice on the next Sean McVey? I like what we did. Tampa (thus far) is the only team who made coaching changes that I would prefer to who we’ve hired.

The Jets and Cards hires were bad, but Cleveland made the right move. Kitchens and Baker have a great relationship, he got that team playing their hearts out the 2nd half of the season and while he may look old he is early 40's. I think he is probably the best hire of the offseason for any team honestly. They didnt get cute, trusted their guy and got continuity with their QBs relationship w/ the FO. Easy, but far from guaranteed to be made, type of move.

I made it a singular question because we’re really going to have co-HCs in all but title. 

There are positives and negatives, obviously. Vic seems like the kind of guy I’d like to have a beer with, I think the players will like him. But I also question whether an old-school, back-to-basics approach will work in the modern NFL. When you don’t have a franchise QB and no easy means of acquiring one, an elite defense is your best bet to go a long way. I think we will get that with Vic. 

Because of the Ellis/Elway need to win now, pairing these two and hoping to recreate the 2015 magic with Kubiak and Wade, this was safest course to take. 

As has been said, the crop of HC candidates this year was as bad as I’ve seen. It’s also a fact, whether we like it or not, that this team can’t roll the dice and try to find the next Sean McVay. Safe and conservative is the route we had to go given the business reasons I’ve discussed many times. 

Are we going to win a Super Bowl with this group? Probably not. But we also won’t see the staggering ineptitude we’ve seen the last two years. So I give it a solid C. 

On the surface I gave it a B barely a b. Because of candidates not wanting coming to Denver.  I think Vic did deserve a chance to become a head coach. I do like the offense being able to have continuity that has to help. Have a wait and see approach. 

But as I uncover the layers and take my fandom off I wanna give it a D. I hated this whole search I feel dirty as a fan. To me Elway went Fangio because it's the closest thing to rehiring Kubiak as the HC as he could get.  I think it's bs when he said he was casting a wide net.  Like come on he had this plan from the start and no one can convince me otherwise.  That's not casting a wide net.

You know, when Elway became the gm back in 2011 he stressed transparency.  And the worse the  team got the less transparent he became. Coming to a head this offseason when he flat out lies to the fans with the casting a wide net comment. 

I was listening to Cecil Lammey's midnight podcast from last night, and he basically said something about how Fangio didn't have an agent, and he didn't come across as, for the lack of another description or word, charismatic. That is maybe why he didn't get an HC job before yesterday.

Also, Lammey said that Elway will be gone in three years no matter what happens (that's when his contract expires), and Brittany Bowlen will take over as owner at that time.

D. Because of the overall structure of Elway hiring a respected coach then assigning him an OC who happens who he has deep ties with. I'm not a fan of the GM picking the coaches staff. I don't think Fangio's 90's hard-*** style will relate to todays players in the long term.

Archived