Browns hire Mike Priefer as STC

TheKillerNacho

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

other than Prierfer worked out the college kickers prior to the draft and recommended they be drafted. he bears responsibility.

Ouch, I'm hoping we sign a veteran. Still happy to have anyone other than Amos. Our kickers were Zane Gonzales and then he selected Greg Joseph from a tryout.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Special teams coaches aren't supposed to make your kicker not poop down their leg in games. They scheme up returns and kick coverage plays. You pray your GM hands you a quality kicker. It's not like those kickers were ruined because of a ST coach. That logic is hilariously flawed. Coaches can't improve kickers that fold under pressure. That's a trait that doesn't get trained out of these guys. Kickers are who they are.

I'm not wishing the Browns ill will here, I hope this works out for the best. But it was clear as day he needed to get out of Minnesota. Scared me that management thought about bringing him back after all the blocked punts and kicking game woes.

19 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Well, er ... I wish the Browns luck with him, but suffice it to say Vikings fans are not sorry to see this guy go.

Vikings Special Teams DVOA under Priefer

2018 - 20th

2017 - 18th

2016 - 10th

2015 -  4th

2014 - 10th

2013 - 6th

2012 - 5th

2011 - 27th

Just gotta find him a good kicker in the draft or FA and I think he'll be okay lol

ST play has typically been average to good for the Vikes under Priefer. The last couple of years it seems have been a struggle. I'm fine parting ways, I don't think this is a bad hire for Cleveland either.

Years ago there was chatter that maybe Priefer could be a HC candidate but then the Kluwe stuff happened.

Even if our ST unit is slightly below average under Priefer, that will be a huge improvement over what we've had in recent years.

For years we thought we had it bad with Chris Tabor. And then Amos Jones came along... 

2 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

I'm not wishing the Browns ill will here, I hope this works out for the best. But it was clear as day he needed to get out of Minnesota. Scared me that management thought about bringing him back after all the blocked punts and kicking game woes.

Blocked punts seem like an issue that a ST coach should be blamed for.

Not the kicking woes, IMO.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Priefer's success with the Vikings was inflated due to Spielman drafting Cordarrelle Patterson and Percy Harvin.

i mean, what special teams coach wouldn't do well with them.

"Who is Amos Jones.....Alex"

arizona-cardinals-special-teams-coach-am

"That is Correct"

trebek.jpg

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Blocked punts seem like an issue that a ST coach should be blamed for.

Not the kicking woes, IMO.

They coach the kickers every day, and the common element between all of the Vikings kickers struggles (they are even trying to ruin Dan Bailey) is Priefer. The WR coach gets fired if the WRs get a case of the dropsies.

I'm not saying he's not worthy of another ST coaching job, maybe a change of scenery would be good for him.

Archived