Raiders Defense

Rolni

On 2/16/2023 at 2:04 PM, Geezy said:

need to come away from FA with one of Payne, Hargrave or Tomlinson. Im also going in on a top end OG. 

Dalvin Tomlinson or DreMont Jones would be my preferred crown jewel of the free agent class. 

Followed by Byron Murphy, Drue Tranquill, and Jabrill Peppers. 

Crosby - Billings - Tomlinson - Jones

Tranquill - Deablo

Murphy - Hobbs - Ya Sin

Moehrig - Peppers 

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The vast majority of first round LBs have been underwhelming. 

Yep, it’s why I really don’t like drafting LBs in the first. RBs, TEs, Strong Safeties and Guards too. There are the exceptions - your boy Jacobs has proven to be one - but I would be looking at more valuable position unless there is an exceptional guy there.

5 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, it’s why I really don’t like drafting LBs in the first. RBs, TEs, Strong Safeties and Guards too. There are the exceptions - your boy Jacobs has proven to be one - but I would be looking at more valuable position unless there is an exceptional guy there.

I think the main reason a lot of LBs don't translate well is because they're extremely dependent on the DL to keep them clean to make plays. Most of the finesse "modern" LBs that have been drafted early have flopped. How do you define "valuable player" RB's are basically always the league leaders in yards from scrimmage and TD's scored. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think the main reason a lot of LBs don't translate well is because they're extremely dependent on the DL to keep them clean to make plays. Most of the finesse "modern" LBs that have been drafted early have flopped. How do you define "valuable player" RB's are basically always the league leaders in yards from scrimmage and TD's scored. 

Exactly, the LBs depend upon the DLine which basically makes them more valuable usually. There are exceptions to the rule.
Jacobs proved he was not beholden to the Oline and in those circumstances that is valuable, those guys are worth first round consideration. Guys that can perform and are not over reliant on another position would be a valuable player.

QB, OT, DT, DE, CB, FS are to me the most ‘valuable’ positions. Of course, it’s wrong to be too rigid as a great WR can open up the rest of the offence for example. Also, CB and FS can look better with great DLine so there’s nuances everywhere. I guess I’d rather have a Good DT than an all pro OG basically. I wouldn’t write a law in stone but just use it as a guide if I have two guys I think are similarly talented, I go with the more valuable position to me.

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

Exactly, the LBs depend upon the DLine which basically makes them more valuable usually. There are exceptions to the rule.
Jacobs proved he was not beholden to the Oline and in those circumstances that is valuable, those guys are worth first round consideration. Guys that can perform and are not over reliant on another position would be a valuable player.

QB, OT, DT, DE, CB, FS are to me the most ‘valuable’ positions. Of course, it’s wrong to be too rigid as a great WR can open up the rest of the offence for example. Also, CB and FS can look better with great DLine so there’s nuances everywhere. I guess I’d rather have a Good DT than an all pro OG basically. I wouldn’t write a law in stone but just use it as a guide if I have two guys I think are similarly talented, I go with the more valuable position to me.

QB is probably the most "dependent" position in all of sports though, a lot of times they live and die based on what their teammates do. To me the premium positions are QB, OT, DE, CB, and WR. It's a passing league now and you have to be able to throw the ball / stop teams from throwing the ball to win at a high level. I remember a couple of years ago there were debates about if WR's provided good value as FRPs. 

• 4 weeks later...

DE - Jones | Koonce 

DT - Nichols | Tillery | M Butler

NT - Farrell | A Butler | Jenkins 

DE - Crosby | Willis 

LB - Deablo | Masterson 

LB - Spillane | Butler

CB - Faycon | Long

CB - Shelley | Webb

CB - Hobbs | Amik

SS - Epps | Teamer 

FS - Moehrig | Palo-Malo

Looks garbage lol

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

DE - Jones | Koonce 

DT - Nichols | Tillery | M Butler

NT - Farrell | A Butler | Jenkins 

DE - Crosby | Koonce 

LB - Deablo | Masterson 

LB - Spillane | Butler

CB - Faycon | Long

CB - Shelley | Webb

CB - Hobbs | Amik

SS - Epps | Teamer 

FS - Moehrig | Palo-Malo

Looks garbage lol

🤮

Horrible. 

But, hey, we have like 20 WRs and RBs!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

🤮

Horrible. 

But, hey, we have like 20 WRs and RBs!

Still unreal to me how little we've invested into the defense this offseason. Epps, Spillane, and a bunch of random CB's on minimum deals isn't going to get it done.