The Moore Identity - Kellen promoted to OC, Kitna to QB coach

D82

Our play caller is going to be Jason Garrett. It's going to be majority his offense. Moore will have the title and be part of the brain trust. Much like Garrett has been to Linehan on offense but without any of the power.

They aren't bringing in a real candidate, and are equally unafraid to give Moore the title, because Jason Garrett is going to be your OC/HC with Moore assisting.

25 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

dude, there is no way I would know what prospective coaches were available as I don't watch much CFB. Let the "pros" do that. There has to be some brilliant and innovated minds out there who just need that chance.

My point was whoever you're going to come up with, it makes no sense for them to leave the comfort and security of their college job unless they'll get a HC gig. And even then, guys like Lincoln Riley, Matt Rhule, Matt Campbell, and others decided they'd rather have their college HC jobs than an NFL job right now - given some coaches get one year and then are fired. If you want a young offensive mind, you have that in Moore. And my personal thought is we should give him a chance to share his ideas since Linehan never did.

55 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I guess my meaning of "outside the Box" means not some one that has brought up through THIS organization. and he is not "up and coming" because he has ZERO OC experience.

You do not understand the meaning of the phrase "outside the box" then. 

But anyway, let's go with the definition you intended. You said "outside the box for once". Scott Linehan was an outside hire...

You want another team to allow their young, rock star OC to make a lateral move and come be OC for the Cowboys. Good luck.

46 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You do not understand the meaning of the phrase "outside the box" then. 

But anyway, let's go with the definition you intended. You said "outside the box for once". Scott Linehan was an outside hire...

You want another team to allow their young, rock star OC to make a lateral move and come be OC for the Cowboys. Good luck.

How is it a lateral move for an offensive coordinator of a college program becoming the Dallas Cowboys OC a lateral move? It is neither in pay or in prestige.

21 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

How is it a lateral move for an offensive coordinator of a college program becoming the Dallas Cowboys OC a lateral move? It is neither in pay or in prestige.

You keep moving the goal posts, but that's fine.

Ok, then, you want a college OC. Not sure why you didn't just say that. They are considering James Coley. Wisely, they have a wider scope of who they are willing to consider as well.

I'm willing to legitimately give Moore a chance if he's the OC.

Most young QBs have gone through the ringer of different modern philosophies and are more open to innovation and forward-thinking.  Not only that, but he's also come from a Boise State program that's absolutely had to throw the kitchen sink and pull out all the stops to gain CFB relevance (much like an undersized lefty with a poor arm making it to the NFL).  So I think that lends to some positive traits for an OC.

One thing I will comment on, someone mentioned Linehan was an 'outside the box' hire because he was outside the organization.  I'd argue that's absolutely NOT an outside the box hire.  He was always an "old school" style coach on the offensive side of the ball, and had crossed paths with Garrett previously in Miami.  

3 hours ago, BigD88 said:

I'm willing to legitimately give Moore a chance if he's the OC.

Most young QBs have gone througha ringer of different modern philosophies and are more open to innovation and forward-thinking.  Not only that, but he's also come from a Boise State program that's absolutely had to throw the kitchen sink and pull out all the stops to gain CFB relevance (much like an undersized lefty with a poor arm making it to the NFL).  So I think that lends to some positive traits for an OC.

One thing I will comment on, someone mentioned Linehan was an 'outside the box' hire because he was outside the organization.  I'd argue that's absolutely NOT an outside the box hire.  He was always an "old school" style coach on the offensive side of the ball, and had crossed paths with Garrett previously in Miami.  

Linehan was far from an out of the box hire. He and Garrett coached together in Miami under Nick Saban. He was a nepotism hire.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

This is a good read.

That article, all by itself, has given me faith in Moore.

With that said, Sanjay Lal is interesting, too. I like his over-the-top nuanced approach to fundamentals and technicalities. It is fun to think how that could translate into passing-game schemes.

Whoever the choice, they need to let it all hang out. 

13 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Linehan was far from an out of the box hire. He and Garrett coached together in Miami under Nick Saban. He was a nepotism hire.

This is the result of someone not knowing what "out of the box" meant. This is what happened:

He said: "I want an outside of the box hire"

I said: "If Kellen Moore is anything, he'd be an outside of the box hire"

He said: "I meant I want to finally hire someone from oustide of the organization."

I said: "Scott Linehan was outside of the organization".

Nobody thinks the Linehan hire was "outside of the box" according to the (nearly...) universal understanding of that idiom.

I for see a situation where together in off season Garret - Moore — Kitna with  Dak Zeke Coop involved  work off season to create a play book that fits our offense then come game day Garret will script out a series of plays for Moore to call to start the game first 20 or so based on situation then adjust from there as the game progresses 

frankly to me the real frustration I have with the Garret situation was besides his bad clock and game management skills is he started out as such a skilled offensive guru and we seemed to loose that when he became head coach I hope this gets it back

Archived