NBA MVP Race Thread

the lone star

Just now, beekay414 said:

That's a lot of "what if" variables in there. Based on where we are RIGHT NOW, I don't think there's any question who the NBA MVP is.

Right I was trying to project ahead because obviously right now he’s second to Giannis and I can’t make a real argument for him being ahead of him. The arguments I’ve stated are the general arguments for Harden to be MVP that people will use and right now that doesn’t give him the MVP I think he is in the discussion as being the only real contender to Giannis right now. 

Right now Giannis is MVP. Harden is #2 and the only real challenger but things need to continue to break right for him. I can’t call him a no shot contender for this award right now like I can for basically the other 8 guys I brought up they have a ton of work to do and need even more things to go right so they are basically done. 

58 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

To whoever think Greek Freak is the favorite I would LOVE to see your points.  I need a good laugh this morning.

Better record
Better defender
Higher TS%
More WS/48

I mean, they both have arguments.  James Harden definitely has better box score numbers and an astronomical usage rate.  I mean if that's your argument then you must agree that Westbrook deserved MVP in 2017, yeah?

1. Giannis
  2. Harden
  3. Kawhi
  4. Jokic
  5. Embiid
  6. Curry
  7. Lebron
  8. Durant
  9. PG
  10. AD

Giannis and Harden only 2 legitimate candidates at the moment as they are very close, and very ahead of the pack. Curry's been historically good too, but I mean, hard to put him very high when he's playing alongside KD, Klay and Draymond. AD having MVP-caliber year, but if your team isn't in the playoffs you ain't even in the race

edit- I double checked to see if Lakers were in the playoffs... they're not, lol... still gonna keep my list the way it is, I mean assuming Lebron doesn't get banged up again when he comes back they will 100% make the postseason, right? Ehh, maybe move AD up and knock Kyrie outta there just to be consistent.

Harden talking about a 'legacy' in a regular season game vs a team that sucks lol.  How about you actually play well in the postseason when your teams back is against the wall instead of pulling your yearly disappearing act.

^That's much more apart of his legacy than scoring a crap ton of points in the regular season.

On 1/24/2019 at 2:43 AM, beekay414 said:

If you wanna add the entire year to this, Giannis is still fractionally ahead of Harden on a PPS basis.

Harden: 1596 points on 1575 shots (1052 FGA, 523 FTA)
Giannis: 1138 points on 1123 shots (728 FGA, 395 FTA)

1596/1575 = 1.013333333
1138/1123 = 1.013357

Again, best record in the NBA. Best defense in the NBA. Produces at a nearly identical PPS as his main competitor. Guys, this isn't even a debate.

Call me a homer, I don't give a ****. The numbers don't lie.

Giannis extends his PPS "lead" on Harden after tonight.

1631/1615 = 1.0099 for Harden

1172/1152 = 1.0174 for the MVP

Jesus Christ, I cut put up those Harden numbers if I took 35 FG attempts and 25 FT attempts per game.

Wake me up when he actually shuts his man down. 

Giannis easily deserves MVP. But the media is slobbing all over Harden's PPGZ!!!, so I'm sure he'll end up winning it. 

16 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Jesus Christ, I cut put up those Harden numbers if I took 35 FG attempts and 25 FT attempts per game.

Wake me up when he actually shuts his man down. 

Giannis easily deserves MVP. But the media is slobbing all over Harden's PPGZ!!!, so I'm sure he'll end up winning it. 

No, now you are just being silly. Very few players in the league could do what he can with his usage rate. Make no mistake, Harden is an absolute all time offensive player. Whatever you think of the foul calls he gets, no one draws fouls like him and now teams are so scared of his step back that they are literally giving him a free lane to the hoop hoping he gets a floater/lay up. 

This type of style obviously can't win you a ring and he needs to prove himself in the playoffs as he is right now one of the worst big time performers in the big stage with his type of talent. But his regular season has been INSANE and that is not disputable. 

USG doesn't always indicate value though. That's what people are getting clouded by. Harden's USG rate is the 2nd highest of all-time right now so, naturally, the volume numbers are going to come. People that said Westbrook wasn't MVP in 2016-2017 have no room to say Harden is the MVP now considering Westbrook put up a 30/10/10 triple double line on the highest USG rate ever (41.65) which is the only player ahead of current Harden all-time and only lead his team to 47 wins (which is exactly the pace Harden's Rockets are on).

So which is it? Harden's MVP now and Westbrook deserved it in 2016-17 or neither were/are MVP?

Archived