Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Jason Verrett $3.6M 49ers deal $1M gtd, $400K signing bonus, $1.1M salary ($600K gtd); $31,250 per game 53-man roster bonus; $62,500 per game 46-man, up to $600K playtime incentive

>:(:(

Common Pace.  This was a deal you should have made.  

Isn't Verrett like always injured?  Hasn't played 1 full season in all 4 NFL years.  I'd rather have Skrine.

14 hours ago, soulman said:

I'm also curious about what kind of money Houston is looking for and how much of an attraction is playing on a top shelf defense and for a ring he missed with KC vs getting top dollar and a starting role as opposed to being in a rotation with Mack and Floyd where he's no longer "the main guy".

My gut hunch tells me not to count on Houston.  The guy has been pulling down around $15 mil a year and he just turned 30 so he could still be in line for another major contract that would keep him in that range.  That's way to rich for our blood if that's what he's looking for.  Even $10 mil may be too rich.

I don't see Mack or Floyd coming off the field that much.  Both are in their prime physically so they won't need to sit out much especially if the offense can control the ball more now.  We paid Lynch $4 mil last year as a 3rd OLB and I really can't see Pace going much beyond that this year either.

So, I'm thinkin' he's shoppin' guys he can get for maybe 2yrs/$10-$11 mil or less.  Lynch is a possibility if he doesn't follow Fangio to Denver.  The Giants just signed Markus Golden so he's off the list.  Other than Lynch who can't stay whole the best option might be Shaquil Barrett whose also just 26.

Not much left to pick over now so unless things are looking up with Irving and Fitts we may be looking at drafting yet another edge guy this year or we shop the waiver wire later on.  Houston is definitely "the main guy" but I don't think we can even come close to managing it with Floyd due for an extension before next year.  Can't afford a Mack, a Floyd, and a Houston.

Ansah or Houston would be TERRIFIC  !!!!!

40 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Isn't Verrett like always injured?  Hasn't played 1 full season in all 4 NFL years.  I'd rather have Skrine.

Verrett is a baller. He's also only played in 5 of the last 48 games. I'd rather have a starting safety that hasn't missed a single game for that money

43 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Yeah, but a pro bowl corner for 1 year at a million dollars is like getting him for free.

3 hours ago, SLCbear said:

Ansah or Houston would be TERRIFIC  !!!!!

The concerns with Ziggy are his injuries and he's another guy like Willie Young who'd need to be converted from a DE so he's gonna be of no help in coverage initially.  He play strictly as a rusher.  Like Houston he's also been in that $15 mil per year range and he's 29.

Maybe a team can get him cheap on a 1 year deal where he takes a shot at re-setting his MV but is he able to play as a 3-4 OLB?  Lynch was more on an OLB who SF tried to make a DE out of and Houston is a 3-4 OLB.  Ziggy has always been a 4-3 DE we'd need to convert to an OLB.

Never say never but I don't know that we'd want to deal with that on a one year deal.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Cassius Marsh was cut by the 49ers. He had 5.5 sacks last season and is a little undersized for a 4-3 defense, but he would be a nic3 #3 OLB and has played special teams most of his career.

I think he's more at the level of guys Pace may be looking at.  We've got young guys like Irving and Fitts were developing so another vet whose been productive and who can come in and compete with them for a spot in a rotation seems more likely to me than a big money guy.

28 minutes ago, soulman said:

I think he's more at the level of guys Pace may be looking at.  We've got young guys like Irving and Fitts were developing so another vet whose been productive and who can come in and compete with them for a spot in a rotation seems more likely to me than a big money guy.

Plus we’d get to see him do that roundhouse kick celebration every time he gets a sack. 

4 hours ago, soulman said:

The concerns with Ziggy are his injuries and he's another guy like Willie Young who'd need to be converted from a DE so he's gonna be of no help in coverage initially.  He play strictly as a rusher.  Like Houston he's also been in that $15 mil per year range and he's 29.

Maybe a team can get him cheap on a 1 year deal where he takes a shot at re-setting his MV but is he able to play as a 3-4 OLB?  Lynch was more on an OLB who SF tried to make a DE out of and Houston is a 3-4 OLB.  Ziggy has always been a 4-3 DE we'd need to convert to an OLB.

I don't think we need to convert him at all,  just put his hand in the dirt on 3rd down. If he gets subbed in then rush him, he is an athlete and a passrusher. I don't think he is going to be crippled by standing while on a rush, especially if he gets to be part of a twist with a 5T. He be mostly a nickel rusher rather than a starting OLB in base. 

I mean Lamarr Houston and McPhee both played OLB, and they aren't athletic for that position in any way. 

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Cassius Marsh was cut by the 49ers. He had 5.5 sacks last season and is a little undersized for a 4-3 defense, but he would be a nic3 #3 OLB and has played special teams most of his career.

He looked pretty good against us last year.  Think he had a sack and a couple of hits on Tru

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Someone named Tony Nagle on twitter said Houston is signing here on a 1 year deal

Outside of Mack that would probably be the most exciting FA signing I've seen since we got Peppers. 

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I don't think we need to convey him at all,  just put his hand in the dirt on 3rd down. If he gets subbed in the rush him, he is an athlete and a passrusher. I don't think he is going to be crippled by standing on a rush, especially if he gets to be part of a twist with a 5T. He be mot3 of a nickel rusher than a starting OLB in base. 

I mean Lamarr Houston and McPhee both played OLB, and they aren't athletic for that position in any way. 

Yeah but we weren't a top 5 defense with them either.

I'm not opposed to Ziggy but we still gotta be developing our younger cheaper guys and that's hard to do when older vets are taking their snaps.

Archived