Who will be the 32 starting QBs on opening day?

UtahUtesFan

I think every starting QB remains the same, except for..

Jaguars - Foles
Dolphins - Draftee
Redskins - Fitzpatrick/Bridgewater/Tannehill/Flacco - whoever comes cheapest for a guaranteed 1 year starting job.

I think Giants and Skins draft QBs but sit them for a year. Dolphins start their QB immediately.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Who could possibly be in the market for an overpaid backup-quality QB?

Denver was when they invested in him.

Still not sure why they did that.  He was the second coming of Josh McCown.

But i don't see that kind of market this year.  Only teams really in the market are Bucs, Giants, Jags, Dolphins and Redskins.  Of those, the Bucs, Giants and Dolphins could stand pat with their current QB and get the same production.  That leaves the Jags and Redskins.  I don't see the Jags investing in him long term.  Leaving the Redskins, who have no reason to trade for him since they'll be the only team on the market looking for a short-ish term solution.

To answer the poll question, 27/32 are obvious.  The following 5 are wild arse guesses.

Bucs: Winston (for some reason)
Giants: Haskins
Jags: Bridgewater
Dolphins: Lock
Redskins: Tannehill

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Who could possibly be in the market for an overpaid backup-quality QB?

If that overpaid backup-quality QB comes along as a package with a free draft pick, i think there might be some potential takers.

A team like Buffalo seem like a good fit for that.  They've got oodles of cap-space from the looks of it, and aren't necessarily going to have the top-tier offensive weapons on the market this year to spend it all on.  They'll need a backup QB, and probably a good one with how much Josh Allen seems inclined to run.

Teams like them and the Jets who have young starters they're fully behind, aren't going to be the most attractive landing spots for guys who might want a chance to compete for a starting gig at one of the half dozen or so spots that's feasible.  So with Keenum, you'd be blowing a bunch of cap space on a backup caliber QB, but at least you'd be a getting a better backup than you probably otherwise would.  Getting a draft pick to spend on weapons in a deep draft for their young QBs on top of it?  I'd be interested if i were one of them.

What sort of pick it'd take to entice those teams, i'm not really sure.  Osweiler was essentially a 2nd, right?  And that contract was worse, on a less useful player.  I'm not sure much less than that would get 'er done though.  Not sure if the Broncos will be desperate enough to get out from under Keenum's contract that they'd give up that kind of pick value.

Kinda seems like the Broncos are just leaning more toward drafting a guy (Drew Lock from the sounds of it) and presumably just rolling forward with Keenum and the rookie competing for the job.  But giving away a draft pick to unload Keenum's contract and then dipping into FA with a guy like Flacco/Foles/Tannehill is an alternative playbook that could have legs if they're serious about it.

I guess it depends on what Denver think of the Quarterbacks in this years draft. If they really like a guy, they are high enough in the draft to make sure they land him, but they will have to get ahead of NYG to make sure they get him. Rookies rarely start week 1 so Keenum is probably still week 1 starter in this scenario.

If they don't particularly like anyone, they ride with Keenum for another year and go all-in next offseason for a QB.

On 1/31/2019 at 3:09 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Jaguars, Redskins, Dolphins, etc.

There'll be plenty of suitors for him. The only question is will a team trade for him or will everyone just fight each other in FA for him?

You cannot include the Redskins in this. Smith’s contract basically stops us from getting into any kind of contract battle. We will draft a QB because that’s the cheapest way to acquire one. We don’t really have a choice in the matter otherwise it’s the Josh Johnson and Colt McCoy show.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:15 PM, Tugboat said:

A team like Buffalo seem like a good fit for that.  They've got oodles of cap-space from the looks of it, and aren't necessarily going to have the top-tier offensive weapons on the market this year to spend it all on.  They'll need a backup QB, and probably a good one with how much Josh Allen seems inclined to run.

They have already re-signed Matt Barkley and Derek Anderson. For better or worse, those are the 3 they'll enter camp and likely the season with. 

On 1/26/2019 at 12:37 AM, Tugboat said:

I don't feel like "opening day starters" is even all that relevant a question.  We know with some degree of certainty all but what:  MIA, JAX, DEN, WAS, and to some extent, NYG?  That's like 27/32 basically gimmees?  Plus maybe PHI and CAR if "their guy" in Wentz/Newton isn't fully healthy and ready to go on opening week?

The real question is what's gonna happen with the rest of the QB carousel.  Between those ~5 "needy" teams, and the collection of well over 5 guys available between FA starters and the potential draft guys.

Carson wentz is probably healthy today bro he should be 100 percent for minicamps.

Coughlin is like... wow, I have such dynamic and amazing offensive weapons that Foles is all we need to put us over the top?

• Lets commit 40+ million to the QB position this year with Bortles' 15 million dead cap + Foles (or poison next year's cap with a June 1st designation)

Foles is like... wow, that's a really stable franchise loaded with... its the 2015 Rams again!

They could never afford him and he would never want to go there.

Jacksonville might go with a 1 year prove it deal for Tannehill / Bridgewater / Flacco or just draft a new QB.

Here's another garbage stat for the J.A.Gs

• Fournette had a wonderful 90 yard run his rookie season.
    • His other 400 runs have averaged 3.47 ypc
    • His 70 playoff carries have averaged 3.46 ypc.
  • He is a 3.65 ypc back on every NFL carry (including that 90 yarder)
  • TJ Yeldon is a 4.4 ypc back on the same team over 163 carries.
  • Fournette is not a top 20 RB in the NFL before you talk abut the 2019 rookies.

On 1/26/2019 at 2:26 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

Hopefully Goff will not be starting opening day because he will still be shaking off a 7 month hangover after being named Super Bowl MVP. That's all I got.

Man I still think he deserved MVP for the pats

Archived