Redskins believe Alex Smith will be out all of 2019

49erurtaza

Worst case scenario for them - they're still paying Smith a ton of money, so getting an upgrade via FA is not in the cards. They're picking smack dab in the middle of the draft so if they want a top tier guy they're going to have to move up (and give up a ton via draft picks) to get their guy. Trading down makes sense, but that leaves them susceptible to someone specifically jumping them to draft a QB.

They might have to stay at 15 and overdraft a 2nd tier guy such as Drew Lock or Will Grier.

This could have been avoided if they paid Kirk Cousins...

46 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Worst case scenario for them

Good, they’re terrible at running a football team and deserve to pay for making terrible moves since the dawn of time (or at least the dawn of recent memory).

Feel awful for smith, though he’s still getting paid so he’ll be alright.

and sucks for their fans, I think lots of them saw this (i mean a similar catastrophe, it this specific) coming for years 

10 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

If he cant play he annihilates their cap for 3 years.

If they cut him this year, they lose 27% of the cap, which as a Redskins fan I am fine with.  Losing 13% of the cap over the next three years is worse.  Trade away what veterans you can for draft picks, tank the year and get to pick between Herbert and Tagavailoa next year.  

Knowing our front office, they will trade up for Kyler Murray to push tickets and merchandise instead. 

53 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Worst case scenario for them - they're still paying Smith a ton of money, so getting an upgrade via FA is not in the cards. They're picking smack dab in the middle of the draft so if they want a top tier guy they're going to have to move up (and give up a ton via draft picks) to get their guy. Trading down makes sense, but that leaves them susceptible to someone specifically jumping them to draft a QB.

They might have to stay at 15 and overdraft a 2nd tier guy such as Drew Lock or Will Grier.

This could have been avoided if they paid Kirk Cousins...

Yet another thing to blame Bruce Allen for, alienating Cousins.  Actually, if you want, it's something else to blame Mike Shanahan for, since he insisted Bruce Allen coming with him to oversee the front office was a must to get him to coach the Redskins.  

As a lot of us have been saying in the Redskins forum, just cut Smith, take the penalty all this season and tank.  Next draft, we would be assured of drafting #1 overall and get to pick Herbert or Tagavailoa, and not have to give up any extra draft picks.  

14 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also the second time Andy Reid has ripped off a Bruce Allen-led Redskins front office for a QB.  He did the same with the McNabb trade.  

The man just knows how to play to their strengths and get the most out of them. 

What's funny about the McNab is that, at the time, I had thought that is was actually REID who was holding them back from winning a title. But as I see it now in hindsight, it was actually Reid who probably got the most of them. (edit from him) Maybe neither were actually cut out to be SB QB's.

This ofcourse is not to say that Reid is not without faults in the playoffs but still nonetheless.

17 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Dalton to Washington

Tannehill to Cincinnati 

I doubt we trade Dalton. We value him quite a bit, and he's been playing really well the older he gets. It would take quite the package for us to consider a move like that. Something crazy like a 2nd rounder in 2019, and possibly a potential 1st next year. It wouldn't be worth it for Washington. 

That QB swapping scenario though does have some potential. Dalton was MVP caliber under Jay Gruden in 2015, and Zac Taylor has coached Tannehill both at Texas A&M and Miami. If Taylor wants his own QB prospect to mold next season, or this season, Tannehill could act as the bridge between the two. But I doubt our front office goes for that though. 

Is Gruden fighting for his job? Is he that desperate? Maybe part of the reason Taylor took the job was because he really likes Dalton - who knows?

Perhaps Kyler Murray at 11, OL and LB in round 2, and pick up a premium pick next year?

Archived