Carson refutes earlier story from Philly Voice....and then confirms some of it

Jroc04

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25914549/eagles-qb-carson-wentz-says-been-better-teammate

Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz refuted multiple details in a story critical of him published last month by Philly Voice but did not dismiss the story outright, acknowledging that he could have been a better teammate as he navigated a trying year professionally.

"I know who I am, first of all. I know how I carry myself. I know I'm not perfect. I know I have flaws," he said during a sit-down interview with a small group of reporters at the Eagles' practice facility recently. "So I'm not going to sit here and say it was inaccurate and completely made up. I'm not going to do that. But at the end of the day, I will say our locker room is really close. If there were guys that had issues, in hindsight, I wish we could have just talked about them. But, again, I don't know how that all happened and everything with that."

Seems as if Carson sort of agreed with the story that was printed about him being selfish and egotistical but also refuted that it was a problem in the lockeroom. I don’t find it to be too much concern as franchise QBs often have to be that way to command a room and a team. However, the riffs between teammates and main offensive contributors is a bit concerning to me. I don’t think players have to be best friends but I think open communication and a willingness to listen and accommodate or be flexible to certain players’ wants are important to the team’s overall success. 

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

The only real problem I have with this is certain players anonymously airing their dirty laundry in public.

Yea I kinda agree. But I think openly criticizing the franchise QB is a risky proposition. Sometimes to protect their jobs but also air their grievances it’s really the only way to do it. But yea, the fact that players aren’t comfortable approaching Carson or coaches about potential issues is a bit disturbing. It really does paint the picture of Wentz being a stubborn, control freak.  

Personally, I really like Carson. But I can't help but think this whole situation is going to backfire and leave the Birds and us fans in a bad spot.  This is just a gut feeling but I still can't resolve these issues:

1. Carson's injury history and penchant for getting hurt

2. The mental aspect where - no matter what Carson does - he can only equal Foles, who bought the team their first SB and won SB MVP.  Even if Carson "pans out" the most he could do would be match Foles. I think this is something that will play on his mind all day and every day.  Like McNabb and the "booing at the draft." It's something that will always be there.  Carson is human.

3. Foles seems to play better with this "team" and uses his weapons better. Carson is all about Ertz and Jeffrey and others are mostly non-factors it seems.

4. Foles reminds me of a modern day Bernie Parent - the Flyers great goalie.  Same path, same story.  The Flyers plucked Parent from the expansion draft, had him the first time, then traded him for minimal parts to another team.  Then he bounced around to another team and even played in the WHA until the Flyers acquired him on the cheap for a second time.  When they did, they had a new goalie. He learned, grew, and ended up being the greatest goalie in team history... and being the main reason the Flyers won 2 Stanley Cups.  He was just magic.  IMO, this is Foles. Forget about the past, the draft position, and all the rest.  Right now, I think the Eagles are going to regret getting rid of him.  Just my opinion.

18 hours ago, Shoeless said:

This is just a gut feeling but I still can't resolve these issues:

Agree with everything.

Carson's starting to come off as an odd dude. You don't usually see players, much less a QB, address stories like this publicly. I don't wanna slam the guy for it. Just saying it's unusual because you'd assume this stuff would get taken care of (or not) in house. 

This upcoming season became more intriguing. At least we have two years to decide whether he's worth the longterm deal.

Couple thoughts on this...

On 2/4/2019 at 11:49 AM, Shoeless said:

Personally, I really like Carson. But I can't help but think this whole situation is going to backfire and leave the Birds and us fans in a bad spot.  This is just a gut feeling but I still can't resolve these issues:

1. Carson's injury history and penchant for getting hurt

2. The mental aspect where - no matter what Carson does - he can only equal Foles, who bought the team their first SB and won SB MVP.  Even if Carson "pans out" the most he could do would be match Foles. I think this is something that will play on his mind all day and every day.  Like McNabb and the "booing at the draft." It's something that will always be there.  Carson is human.

3. Foles seems to play better with this "team" and uses his weapons better. Carson is all about Ertz and Jeffrey and others are mostly non-factors it seems.

4. Foles reminds me of a modern day Bernie Parent - the Flyers great goalie.  Same path, same story.  The Flyers plucked Parent from the expansion draft, had him the first time, then traded him for minimal parts to another team.  Then he bounced around to another team and even played in the WHA until the Flyers acquired him on the cheap for a second time.  When they did, they had a new goalie. He learned, grew, and ended up being the greatest goalie in team history... and being the main reason the Flyers won 2 Stanley Cups.  He was just magic.  IMO, this is Foles. Forget about the past, the draft position, and all the rest.  Right now, I think the Eagles are going to regret getting rid of him.  Just my opinion.

1 - True he has ended 2 seasons in a row on the IR. 

2 - What about winning 2 superbowls? :D I doubt anyone is going to boo Wentz when he comes back. 

3 - Foles during the superbowl run had the team at full strength. We were winning it all if Foles just played to his abilities. Foles again last season took over when several players were coming back from the IR. Honestly when Wentz was in there, all he had left was Ertz and Jeffrey. Would you trust Adams or Smallwood to do anything other than run for 2-3 yards and fall down? Also lets not forget the O-line was beat up the whole season too. We started to get healthy when Foles took over. 

4 - I don't know much about the Flyers but yeah their are similarities from your story. If we did end up keeping Foles,, I'd love to see him get MVP again. 

Don't get me wrong I like Foles as much as the next guy but Wentz is a better QB and the rightful future of this team. The FO needs to trade Foles to an AFC team and reequip the offense with RBs, the O-line with youth, and the defense with a starter or 2 and some additional D-line depth. 

Just my two cents. 

Go Birds

Master "The Haul" Cheddaar

13 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Don't get me wrong I like Foles as much as the next guy but Wentz is a better QB and the rightful future of this team. The FO needs to trade Foles to an AFC team and reequip the offense with RBs, the O-line with youth, and the defense with a starter or 2 and some additional D-line depth. 

10 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Agree with everything.

Carson's starting to come off as an odd dude. You don't usually see players, much less a QB, address stories like this publicly. I don't wanna slam the guy for it. Just saying it's unusual because you'd assume this stuff would get taken care of (or not) in house. 

This upcoming season became more intriguing. At least we have two years to decide whether he's worth the longterm deal.

I disagree with the the addressing the story. I feel like He had to address it. Especially when it was all the media in PHI talked about. How he addressed i think was perfect. 

I think that Carson played it right here. You can tell that his answers are genuine and that he’ll be eager to fix these issues. He’s a good dude who will learn from these past two years and work as hard has he can so that he can lift the Lombardi one day.

Find it interesting that anyone at all is annoyed about how carson has been acting. Who wouldn't be frustrated in his position? Lead your team to 11 wins and was going to win the mvp, season ending injury. Foles wins the superbowl and gets pretty much all of the credit. Told that they aren't going to rush you back the next season, then they rush you back and you get injured again ending your season. Then foles again takes us into the playoffs. And now people are questioning if you should even have your job?

Who wouldn't  be pissed?

7 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

3 - Foles during the superbowl run had the team at full strength. We were winning it all if Foles just played to his abilities. Foles again last season took over when several players were coming back from the IR. Honestly when Wentz was in there, all he had left was Ertz and Jeffrey. Would you trust Adams or Smallwood to do anything other than run for 2-3 yards and fall down? Also lets not forget the O-line was beat up the whole season too. We started to get healthy when Foles took over. 

Uh we were pretty badly injured the past 2 seasons we had like 5 or 6 good players on IR for the superbowl.

Archived