Worst SB ever?

Chiefer

6 hours ago, The LBC said:

Yup.  I feel like even considering this question as being valid shows the age (or lack thereof) of a lot of people.  At the very least, the Rams defense made this game (appear) competitive.

I like a good defensive performance dont get me wrong.

It seemed more like inept offense than great defense. Goff looked like a goof and Brady looked old until the 4th.

Oh and get off your age high horse. Back in my day super bowls were won 2-0. Men were men and they got paid in nickels and dimes for the love of the game.

As a Vikings fan, I can think of four that were definitely "worse".  This one was one of the most boring ever though.  It could be one that historians look back on as BB's best one when you consider the roster he was working with.  The Rams were a great team this year and Belichick and the Patriots just plain stopped them. 

10 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

If you combine everything, the game, the halftime show, the commercials, for me it was the least entertained I've ever been by a superbowl, for sure.

That's a good point.  The halftime show and the commercials were horrible.  I still don't know who the guy was that was singing at halftime.  That probably says more about my being an old goat than it does about the singer, but still.

13 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I like a good defensive performance dont get me wrong.

It seemed more like inept offense than great defense. Goff looked like a goof and Brady looked old until the 4th.

Oh and get off your age high horse. Back in my day super bowls were won 2-0. Men were men and they got paid in nickels and dimes for the love of the game.

Two of the top four offenses in the NFL don't suddenly become inept. The defenses and the gameplans were just that good.

Great defensive battle. It truly showed just how great Brady is.

In a game where it was nearly impossible to gain the Red Zone, let alone a TD, Brady showed up just in time with a beautiful touch pass to Gronk in triple coverage to score what proved to be the game winner.

THAT is what greatness means. Not gaudy numbers or highlite reels. Instead, when it matters most, on the biggest of stages, against an immovable object, you FIND A WAY! You use your talent to elevate your team to a higher level, overcome, adapt and prevail.

I LOVED IT! That is why he is the GOAT. A game like this, He showed just what it means to be great.

It wasn't the least competitive game but there weren't any great displays from championship players like you see in some of those blowouts. Edelman was really the only offensive player who impressed me. Hightower played a really good game and if he didn't drop that easy pick he probably would have got some MVP consideration. Suh had some plays, Cooks put up some numbers but if by chance the Rams won I don't know who could have been MVP unless they just gave it to the guy who scored the TD no matter how he did it.

Probably not the worst ever just because it was scoreboard close but occasional pressure, little running room and good coverage on a lot of plays isn't the same as defensively dominating like we saw with the Broncos or Seashawks in recent years, this just felt like a week 2 game and everyone was still trying to get in a groove. They all can't be great and saying it was great and those that don't agree don't understand football is pompous and goofy.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get people saying saying Super Bowl XLI. Yeah the QB play is probably in the conversation for worst all time, but there were still a bunch of exciting plays throughout the game. It began with a kickoff returned for a touchdown! That will likely never happen again. There were some great defenses plays on both sides of ball. Thomas Jones was running effectively for the Bears. Super Bowl XL was the worst one I've ever seen. One of the most poorly officiated championship games I've seen in my lifetime across any sport. I didn't even have a rooting interest in either team and I loathed it. 

This last one was the worst IMO without a doubt. I didn't see the Steelers/Seahawks because I was working so I can't speak to that one. The Broncos/Seahawks SB was a blowout but there were still a bunch of exciting plays, including Percy Harvin going HAM. Any game where the strong majority of drives by one team is 3-4 plays, punt. That's as boring as it gets.

Think of every SB you've seen. There' usually 1 or 2 plays that immediately come to mind, right? What's that play for this past SB? Gronk's 25 yard catch that led to the games only redzone play?

Worst SB? How about 1978, Dallas vs Denver in the Louisiana Dome.

Roger Staubach vs Craig Morton, former backup in Dallas.

Morton was pulled in the second half after being ineffective.

The game was never in doubt.

The only SB until the '90's not seen. We were in the Carribean and listened on Armed Forces radio.

Archived