TAET: This Ain't Eagles Talk | RIP Jlash

Phire

• 1 month later...

I don't know who gives a damn about basketball here, but I had an epiphany.

James Harden and P.J. Tucker
for
Mike Conley, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Kyle Anderson, 2024 1st round pick swap and 2026 2nd round pick

That leaves this:

Minnesota:

James Harden*    Jordan McLaughlin*        Shake Milton
Anthony Edwards    Wendell Moore Jr.        Jaylen Clark
Jaden McDaniels    Troy Brown Jr.        Matt Ryan        
Karl-Anthony Towns    P.J. Tucker        Josh Minott
Rudy Gobert    Naz Reid            Luka Garza*

Philadelphia:

Mike Conley*    De'Anthony Melton*+        Patrick Beverley*    
Tyrese Maxey+    Nickeil Alexander-Walker+    Jaden Springer+
Tobias Harris*?    Danuel House Jr.*        Furkan Korkmaz*?
Paul Reed    +    Kyle Anderson*        Filip Petrusev+        
Joel Embiid+    Mo Bamba*+        Montrezl Harrell*

It works under the current CBA.

It also could benefit both teams.

The starting 5 in Minnesota would rival the rest of the conference with a decent bench, minus a veteran presence in the backcourt (Danny Green, anyone?).
For the 76'ers it means planning for now and the future.

While Beverly would be a great mentor for Springer, his game does not translate to Maxey's game.
However, Conley's does, or could.
While it allows for Maxey to play off-ball for another season, it gives him the opportunity to adopt some of Conley's skills.

After next season I get the impression that many contracts are going to shrink.
Young superstars will still get paid, ala Jaylen Brown.
But, marginal veterans will have to settle for less.
Given the dearth of what is likely to be available, re-signing Melton, Bamba, Conley and Harris seems more likely than bagging a superstar.

I mean, do the following names excite you:  Klay Thompson (virtually impossible to sign), Buddy Hield (ew), Pascal Siakam (fine), Gordon Hayward (always hurt), Markelle Fultz (been there, done that), Kyle Lowry (older than me ... well, almost), Demar DeRozan (as old as Lowry), Spencer Dinwiddie (meh), D'Angelo Russell (a child).
The only real signing would be Miles "Samsonite" Bridges and he has some issues, to say the least.

I never consider a trade without considering the other side.
I've seen too many "let's trade three 500 yard backs for a 1,500 yard back" trades proposed.
I think this is more equitable as Harden affords Minnesota a serious offensive threat upgrade over Conley and all they really give up is a guard who will probably ascend to a marginal starter and decent reserve.

Thoughts?

16 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

I don't know who gives a damn about basketball here, but I had an epiphany.

James Harden and P.J. Tucker
for
Mike Conley, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Kyle Anderson, 2024 1st round pick swap and 2026 2nd round pick

That leaves this:

Minnesota:

James Harden*    Jordan McLaughlin*        Shake Milton
Anthony Edwards    Wendell Moore Jr.        Jaylen Clark
Jaden McDaniels    Troy Brown Jr.        Matt Ryan        
Karl-Anthony Towns    P.J. Tucker        Josh Minott
Rudy Gobert    Naz Reid            Luka Garza*

Philadelphia:

Mike Conley*    De'Anthony Melton*+        Patrick Beverley*    
Tyrese Maxey+    Nickeil Alexander-Walker+    Jaden Springer+
Tobias Harris*?    Danuel House Jr.*        Furkan Korkmaz*?
Paul Reed    +    Kyle Anderson*        Filip Petrusev+        
Joel Embiid+    Mo Bamba*+        Montrezl Harrell*

It works under the current CBA.

It also could benefit both teams.

The starting 5 in Minnesota would rival the rest of the conference with a decent bench, minus a veteran presence in the backcourt (Danny Green, anyone?).
For the 76'ers it means planning for now and the future.

While Beverly would be a great mentor for Springer, his game does not translate to Maxey's game.
However, Conley's does, or could.
While it allows for Maxey to play off-ball for another season, it gives him the opportunity to adopt some of Conley's skills.

After next season I get the impression that many contracts are going to shrink.
Young superstars will still get paid, ala Jaylen Brown.
But, marginal veterans will have to settle for less.
Given the dearth of what is likely to be available, re-signing Melton, Bamba, Conley and Harris seems more likely than bagging a superstar.

I mean, do the following names excite you:  Klay Thompson (virtually impossible to sign), Buddy Hield (ew), Pascal Siakam (fine), Gordon Hayward (always hurt), Markelle Fultz (been there, done that), Kyle Lowry (older than me ... well, almost), Demar DeRozan (as old as Lowry), Spencer Dinwiddie (meh), D'Angelo Russell (a child).
The only real signing would be Miles "Samsonite" Bridges and he has some issues, to say the least.

I never consider a trade without considering the other side.
I've seen too many "let's trade three 500 yard backs for a 1,500 yard back" trades proposed.
I think this is more equitable as Harden affords Minnesota a serious offensive threat upgrade over Conley and all they really give up is a guard who will probably ascend to a marginal starter and decent reserve.

Thoughts?

Conley is old as hell too. I always admired his game but he’s not what I or Morey would consider as a piece that keeps you in the Chip hunt. 

Also, could you imagine Harden when you tell him he’s going to play in Minnesota? lol He’d never go for it. 

You find another team to facilitate money and maybe some vet pieces and try to land a star or just run it back. Morey will just wait until the trade deadline until one of these guys inevitably turns disgruntled and something happens. I don’t see him trading Harden for anything less. 

On 7/28/2023 at 8:38 PM, Jroc04 said:

Conley is old as hell too. I always admired his game but he’s not what I or Morey would consider as a piece that keeps you in the Chip hunt. 

Also, could you imagine Harden when you tell him he’s going to play in Minnesota? lol He’d never go for it. 

You find another team to facilitate money and maybe some vet pieces and try to land a star or just run it back. Morey will just wait until the trade deadline until one of these guys inevitably turns disgruntled and something happens. I don’t see him trading Harden for anything less. 

What does "Harden going for it" have to do with anything?
He's a player.  Someone signs his check.

As for Conley being "old as hell," he is an expiring contract with no hope of signing anything near what he is getting now.  That means you may be able to get him back as a reserve for Korkmaz money.
Conley mentoring Maxey is the key component.  Maxey is 22.  I don't care if Conley is 67.  If he makes Maxey better, it is worth it.  It is Maxey to whom the money is going at the end of the day.

Sometimes I don't understand how people can't see beyond the end of their noses.

4 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

What does "Harden going for it" have to do with anything?
He's a player.  Someone signs his check.

Have you noticed how a disgruntled Harden handles himself? He forced himself out of Houston. He forced himself out of Brooklyn. He gave up money last year to facilitate the signing of FAs with the presumptuous notion Morey was going to give him max money this year. Morey isn’t giving him max money, and Harden is out. Problem is, Harden is overvaluing himself and the rest of the NBA agrees. Maybe Harden gets back on board. Maybe not. But you’re not going to be sending him to freaking Minnesota and then expect him to be happy? He’s trying to win. 

4 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

As for Conley being "old as hell," he is an expiring contract with no hope of signing anything near what he is getting now.  That means you may be able to get him back as a reserve for Korkmaz money.
Conley mentoring Maxey is the key component.  Maxey is 22.  I don't care if Conley is 67.  If he makes Maxey better, it is worth it.  It is Maxey to whom the money is going at the end of the day.

I mentioned his age because according to you Lowry and Derozan were off the board because they were “as old as me (you)”. 

So, you want to trade a top 20 player in the league for mentorship? Maxey is, for all I’ve and everyone else has seen, is an exceptional kid. I’m not saying he couldn’t use some NBA mentorship, but he’s plenty mature and responsible enough to hold himself accountable. He continued to get better from year to year and I don’t think that changes. He has to take another step and round himself into a star but this has more to do with coaches actually letting him be that player. Bringing in Harden stunted his growth. 

If this is your plan for the future, then knock yourself out but do you expect Joel to want to stick around? He’ll be 30 in March. How many more seasons at top level play do we expect him to have? 3 more maybe if we’re fortunate. You’re essentially tossing away this year incoming, hoping Maxey becomes a star under the tutelage of the great Mike Conley. While I think Maxey can be a good 2 or 3 on a championship team, Joel and Maxey might get you out of round 1 and that’s about it. If this is the route we go, Embiid is soon to follow Harden out the door. 

You are surprised people can’t see beyond the end of their noses yet you want to trade Harden with the notion of “he signed a contract, he’ll play for whoever signs his checks”. If you were calling into WIP I wouldn’t be surprised. It’s an antiquated opinion. You know that. Players run the league. Harden will force himself into where he wants to be. Even if somehow Morey trades Harden for Mike Conley (and the city doesn’t burn down), Harden would force himself out of Minnesota by the trade deadline. 

Trading a top 20 player in the league for supposed mentorship is one of the most short sighted things I’ve seen mentioned about all this. It completely takes you out of any title contention, wastes a year of prime play from your MVP and also forces his hand to possibly demand a trade. If your goal is to start over with Maxey as your star then I think this is a reasonable start to that vision. It’s not how the Sixers will win a championship, however. Not with Embiid anyway. 

• Like 1

Let me address your concerns individually.

Have you noticed how a disgruntled Harden handles himself?

That's the point.  Harden's happiness is not the concern of the team trading him.
He doesn't have a no trade clause.
Meanwhile, Minnesota considers their "Big Three" to be Edwards, Kat and Gobert.
How is adding a Harden not going to make them better?
He had twice as many assists as Conley and 50% more ppg.

I mentioned his age because according to you Lowry and Derozan were off the board because they were “as old as me (you)”.

The difference here is that Conley isn't coming in as a high priced free agent like DeRozan.
You're depending on a lot from I guy like DeRozan and you'd have to pay him a such.
That keeps the team in the market for the Patrick Beverly's and Danuel House's of the world.  Ew.
Conley runs the point for a year and then transitions to a lower paid reserve.
If he doesn't want that, your in the same boat as keeping Harden.
Expired contract, bye.
As for Lowry, he's older than Conley and makes more money.
If Conley walks, I would have no objection to bringing Lowry in at a low number behind Maxey.
But, neither of them are to be here after 2025.

Maxey is, for all I’ve and everyone else has seen, is an exceptional kid.
I’m not saying he couldn’t use some NBA mentorship, but he’s plenty mature and responsible enough to hold himself accountable.
He continued to get better from year to year and I don’t think that changes.
He has to take another step and round himself into a star but this has more to do with coaches actually letting him be that player.
Bringing in Harden stunted his growth.

Maxey is great.
But, he's going to need to develop into a bona fide point guard.
I agree, Harden's presence retarded his growth.
He needs to be more ball dominant and look to distribute the ball more.
Harden's exit would contribute to that.
Conley's presence would facilitate that, too.

If this is your plan for the future, then knock yourself out but do you expect Joel to want to stick around?
He’ll be 30 in March.
How many more seasons at top level play do we expect him to have?
3 more maybe if we’re fortunate.
You’re essentially tossing away this year incoming, hoping Maxey becomes a star under the tutelage of the great Mike Conley.

The new CBA has teeth.
Teams aren't going to be able to build "superteams" like in the recent past.
The team I posted contends next year and the year after.
Again, there is the opportunity to re-sign players if they'll take a lower number.
If not, you have a bevy of expiring contracts, just like what you have with Harden, but to a greater degree.
Don't underestimate the value that veterans bring.
The young bucks will be getting the big bucks under the new system.
There's likely to be real value in keeping some of the older guys, not to mention the continuity it affords.

Trading a top 20 player in the league for supposed mentorship is one of the most short sighted things I’ve seen mentioned about all this.
It completely takes you out of any title contention, wastes a year of prime play from your MVP and also forces his hand to possibly demand a trade.

Is losing Harden after the season a more sane option?
His salary alone isn't going to yield much.
The Sixers will still be cap strapped.
And how are you not "starting over" if Harden walks after next season?
If Harden drags this this out and departs, what is Embiid going to do then?

If anyone has a better plan, I'd like to see it.

James Harden is not playing in Minnesota - you can throw every argument you'd like out there but he's not going to be playing there; he may not have a NTC but that doesn't matter in today's NBA. James Harden is going to play where James Harden wants to play whether that's Philly, LA or Houston is yet to be seen but he'll be the one making the decision. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 6:52 PM, babyatemydingo said:

Let me address your concerns individually.

Have you noticed how a disgruntled Harden handles himself?

That's the point.  Harden's happiness is not the concern of the team trading him.
He doesn't have a no trade clause.
Meanwhile, Minnesota considers their "Big Three" to be Edwards, Kat and Gobert.
How is adding a Harden not going to make them better?
He had twice as many assists as Conley and 50% more ppg.

The difference here is that Conley isn't coming in as a high priced free agent like DeRozan.
You're depending on a lot from I guy like DeRozan and you'd have to pay him a such.
That keeps the team in the market for the Patrick Beverly's and Danuel House's of the world.  Ew.
Conley runs the point for a year and then transitions to a lower paid reserve.
If he doesn't want that, your in the same boat as keeping Harden.
Expired contract, bye.
As for Lowry, he's older than Conley and makes more money.
If Conley walks, I would have no objection to bringing Lowry in at a low number behind Maxey.
But, neither of them are to be here after 2025.

Maxey is, for all I’ve and everyone else has seen, is an exceptional kid.
I’m not saying he couldn’t use some NBA mentorship, but he’s plenty mature and responsible enough to hold himself accountable.
He continued to get better from year to year and I don’t think that changes.
He has to take another step and round himself into a star but this has more to do with coaches actually letting him be that player.
Bringing in Harden stunted his growth.

Maxey is great.
But, he's going to need to develop into a bona fide point guard.
I agree, Harden's presence retarded his growth.
He needs to be more ball dominant and look to distribute the ball more.
Harden's exit would contribute to that.
Conley's presence would facilitate that, too.

If this is your plan for the future, then knock yourself out but do you expect Joel to want to stick around?
He’ll be 30 in March.
How many more seasons at top level play do we expect him to have?
3 more maybe if we’re fortunate.
You’re essentially tossing away this year incoming, hoping Maxey becomes a star under the tutelage of the great Mike Conley.

The new CBA has teeth.
Teams aren't going to be able to build "superteams" like in the recent past.
The team I posted contends next year and the year after.
Again, there is the opportunity to re-sign players if they'll take a lower number.
If not, you have a bevy of expiring contracts, just like what you have with Harden, but to a greater degree.
Don't underestimate the value that veterans bring.
The young bucks will be getting the big bucks under the new system.
There's likely to be real value in keeping some of the older guys, not to mention the continuity it affords.

Trading a top 20 player in the league for supposed mentorship is one of the most short sighted things I’ve seen mentioned about all this.
It completely takes you out of any title contention, wastes a year of prime play from your MVP and also forces his hand to possibly demand a trade.

Is losing Harden after the season a more sane option?
His salary alone isn't going to yield much.
The Sixers will still be cap strapped.
And how are you not "starting over" if Harden walks after next season?
If Harden drags this this out and departs, what is Embiid going to do then?

If anyone has a better plan, I'd like to see it.

You do understand there’s more to it than that right? It Harden is forced to be somewhere he doesn’t want to be he will simply tell the team that’s trading for him he has no desire. Why would a team give up asserts for a player that had no intentions of playing for them? 

Again, we’re trading a top 20 player for a mentor. Who frankly, we don’t need. Maxey is plenty mature to advance his skills on his own. There’s a team of vets and coaches to help him progress. We’re not sending Harden away for a guy that’s not going to help us achieve a championship with his play. You can find washed up, vets for plenty cheap to mentor if that’s actually the case. You have to do your damndest to maximize Harden or we’re set back a year or two. Not saying it’s achievable anyway. It seems it’s as if Harden will be in a Sixers uniform next year or we’re going to be deeply disappointed in what he returns to us.  

Maxey isn’t going to be a traditional PG. Hes more a small SG. He’s not a pure ball handler. It’s not his strength. There’s no reason to force a square peg in a round hole there. You just find a way to pair him with players that compliment him. (Strangely, Ben Simmons would have been good.) Harden is too ball dominant and the Sixers played too much two man game with Joel and James. If it was 4-5 years ago, it would have been something. Harden just isn’t that player anymore consistently. Maxey can run a pick and roll like they did. It’s not his game. I’d prefer a pure PG for this team and let Maxey cook as the #2 if we can’t land a superstar somehow. 

My main concern is shedding Harris next year. We would have room to add a max player. But is Joel going to patient enough to waste a year and depend on the FO to tempt a star to come here with  an older (and better) Maxey? I’m not sure if he can wait a year then try to make something work with an unknown. I think he’d be more interested in colluding and getting with a team that’s going to be able to put together a good group of upper echelon guys. That’s just what I foresee. 

Honestly, I don’t see this ending well for the Sixers. I’m assuming Maxey and whatever we can get from a Joel trade is about all we’re going to get. If that’s a couple years away, I guess we’ll see. Joel wants to win and the FO just hasn’t done enough to get him viable stars around him. He has some blame in the playoff shortcomings we’ve suffered but outside of Butler for that one year, it was never really substantial. The FO has to live with that. 

• 1 month later...

Yo bros. I’m thinking of extending my NFL viewing habits and getting the ticket and/or red zone. What are you guys doing and what’s the terms? Looking at you out of market fellas. @Nabbs4u @AZ_Eaglesfan @TheRealMcCoy @downundermike  @Jeezla Just off the top of my head, I know you guys don’t live in the area. What’s your plan of attack? 

7 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Yo bros. I’m thinking of extending my NFL viewing habits and getting the ticket and/or red zone. What are you guys doing and what’s the terms? Looking at you out of market fellas. @Nabbs4u @AZ_Eaglesfan @TheRealMcCoy @downundermike  @Jeezla Just off the top of my head, I know you guys don’t live in the area. What’s your plan of attack? 

I have Sunday Ticket. I got it discounted by $100 for signing up early I am not sure if that deal is still going on though. I know if you have Verizon and you upgrade your phone right now you get a year free of Sunday Ticket so if you are in the market for a new phone or you are open to swapping services that can be a decent deal.

I am not sure that I would sign up for it if I was in market tbh. It is really nice being able to watch any game you want obviously, but I only really have it so that I can watch the Eagles every week. If I was in market the Red Zone channel would be plenty imo. That is pretty much what I watch anyways when the Eagles aren't on, and most of the big games you want to focus on will be the national game anyways.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...