Vontaze Burfict facing five game suspension

Dome

6 hours ago, OleXmad said:

As a ravens fan, This seems a bit excessive but the dude is dirty as hell. Fines haven't worked and he already got suspended 3 games for it, seems only right to escalate it. 

Then again I'm biased so....He'll probably get a game knocked off or something. 

At this point it's hard for Burfict to even play football without fear of doing something accidental and getting a huge suspension.  I get looking at past history, but the league is on an impartial witch hunt with the guy.  They're obviously building to a year long suspension after a low or high hit.  A low or high hit that happens several times/game with just a fine.  But he'll get a 8 game or season long suspension.

Anyway, this is bogus.  But it's the NFL, so i've come to expect bad suspension decisions like this.

8 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

Make a football play (a little excessive, but still just making a play).. 5 games

There is no "football play" there.

If this was some random player with no prior history, sure it would be a fine, not even a 1 game suspension, but Burfict doesn't tone it down. He consistently does things like this as "part of his game". The league should have used this type of treatment years ago on Brandon Merriweather, but it's earned here too. *Is he probably going to keep getting bigger suspensions and eventually be out of a job because of it? He hasn't made any adjustments yet, so I expect so, but you can't let players play like that, consistently over the edge of self control, if you are at all serious about player safety.  It's not an impartioal witch hunt at all. It's earned by his continued play.

8 hours ago, titans0021 said:

It looks like a shoulder to the jaw. Beyond that, helmet to helmet hits usually occur as part of the play. They can certainly be more damaging, but at least you can argue that the defender is typically attempting to make a play on the ball or at least on the intended receiver.  Burfict is targeting a guy that is nowhere near the play. The ball has been out for two steps by the time Burfict is crushing Sherman.

He also once did virtually the same thing to Maxx Williams a couple years ago and got fined $50,000.

With that said, five games seems high. But Burfict has been fined eight times for illegal, on-field plays. He was suspended the first three games of 2016. If he continues to not get the message, he's really not leaving the NFL with much of a choice. He's been fined for hits in over 14% of the games he has played in the NFL. Which is pretty incredible.

Edit: And actually, looking back, all eight have been since 2013. So eight fines (now nine) in his last 42 games.

Wasn't aware that his "penalty rate" was that high, that's borderline insane, and I can see the league laying down the hammer on this one.

But as others have said, 5 games is way too much... even Brady got 4 games...

2 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Wasn't aware that his "penalty rate" was that high, that's borderline insane, and I can see the league laying down the hammer on this one.

Brady had no prior suspensions. In this case he's already been suspended for 3 games at the start of last year so consider 2 games of the "escalation penalty".

1 minute ago, kramxel said:
8 hours ago, titans0021 said:

It looks like a shoulder to the jaw. Beyond that, helmet to helmet hits usually occur as part of the play. They can certainly be more damaging, but at least you can argue that the defender is typically attempting to make a play on the ball or at least on the intended receiver.  Burfict is targeting a guy that is nowhere near the play. The ball has been out for two steps by the time Burfict is crushing Sherman.

He also once did virtually the same thing to Maxx Williams a couple years ago and got fined $50,000.

With that said, five games seems high. But Burfict has been fined eight times for illegal, on-field plays. He was suspended the first three games of 2016. If he continues to not get the message, he's really not leaving the NFL with much of a choice. He's been fined for hits in over 14% of the games he has played in the NFL. Which is pretty incredible.

Edit: And actually, looking back, all eight have been since 2013. So eight fines (now nine) in his last 42 games.

Is it really that high?  1. I'd like to see the average fine rate for a defender.  The league hands out dozens of them every week.  2. Burfict gets fined or suspended for everything that's borderline, while some lesser defenders can get away with a bit more.

There's absolutely no question the hit was illegal, and would have drawn a personal foul for anybody. The suspension isn't based on this hit. It's the fact that he's already been suspended for it and the past, but continues to do it. With all of the CTE reports coming out, player safety is a HUGE thing right now. The NFL isn't going to be forgiving to people that continue to put other players at risk. His next PF for a dirty hit will end his career. 

3 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

There's absolutely no question the hit was illegal, and would have drawn a personal foul for anybody. The suspension isn't based on this hit. It's the fact that he's already been suspended for it and the past, but continues to do it. With all of the CTE reports coming out, player safety is a HUGE thing right now. The NFL isn't going to be forgiving to people that continue to put other players at risk. His next PF for a dirty hit will end his career. 

Cmon Drew, you should know better than to make definitive statements like that: http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/246090/fair-question-was-vontaze-burficts-hit-legal

4 hours ago, Counselor said:

Keep your head on a swivel even running routes. This is football. 

That is what I said when Hines Ward keyholed Keith Rivers:/  Then the NFL made a rule that you can't do that.

I can't tell from the replay but the rule is

A 15-yard penalty will be enforced if a player delivers a blindside block to the head of a defender using his helmet, forearm or shoulder. The penalty will be enforced if a helmet, shoulder or forearm strikes the head or neck of the defender.

Article 7, Section a, part 2 where the league lists players who qualify as defenseless: A receiver running a pass route when the defender approaches from the side or behind.

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him

Archived