2019 MLB Regular Season Discussion

Thelonebillsfan

17 hours ago, mse326 said:

Just watched the streamable posted. Yeah those were horrible. Though I think the Cole one was higher than that thing indicates it was definitely a strike. Cintron really has no business saying anything though and definitely not continuing. Hinch did nothing wrong. He is absolutely right to tell the ump not to keep staring into the dugout. Then the ump saying "I can do anything I want." He needs to be suspended because that attitude is a problem.

15 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

Tonight's Astros/Rangers game was, with no exaggeration, one of the worst ump shows of all time. 

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Just saw the video on the Astros/Rangers. Unreal. The Astros as a team should demand a formal apology. It doesn't do anything, but sets the precedent that it's unacceptable and sticks up for their players and Hinch.

Theres more:  https://streamable.com/0zzf4

This has to be a point of contention in the next CBA. We have the technology.  This needs to be automated. Figure out some sort of portable system so teams can have backups if the primary system goes down.

33 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Theres more:  https://streamable.com/0zzf4

This has to be a point of contention in the next CBA. We have the technology.  This needs to be automated. Figure out some sort of portable system so teams can have backups if the primary system goes down.

As bad as those strikes are and as much as I'm in favor of performance reviews for umpires, I'm asking for the formal apology for the conduct, not the calls. Staring down players, shoving a player, and quotes like "I can do anything I want" are all completely out of line from a basic professional standpoint.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

That ump should be suspended...and I thought the Ump in the Cards/Pirates game was bad.....yikes. 

100%. He shoved Max Stassi with his mask to get him back to the dugout. You could say the first conduct was incidental with his mask was incidental, but the second time he bends his elbow to specifically stick his mask square in the middle of Stassi's chest protector, and pushes it forward.

If Stassi did that to an umpire, he'd be suspended. Any contact with an umpire is a suspension, and intentional contact like that probably gets him 5 games.

Why in the world should that not go both ways? He wasn't breaking up a fight or doing anything related to his job.

• Like 1

You know what sucks though is there are these like handful of guys who try to be bigger than the game. There are quietly many great umpires who get lost in the shuffle. Many umpires who the players respect. It's a shame that those handful ruin it for the others.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

As bad as those strikes are and as much as I'm in favor of performance reviews for umpires, I'm asking for the formal apology for the conduct, not the calls. Staring down players, shoving a player, and quotes like "I can do anything I want" are all completely out of line from a basic professional standpoint.

Totally, 100% agree. But this isnt an isolated incident. It's not all umpires,  but I feel like this happens too often. And it's an easily avoidable issue.

But more than that, I think a standard, automated strike zone would assist in increasing scoring in baseball. It would take a season or two, but hitters would have a steady zone to work with game in and game out.

15 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah, I mean, even players are relatively forgiving of umpires for the most part, especially during regular season games. I've had umpires seek me/teammates/opponents out between innings or at the next at bat, whether themselves or through a coach, to admit a missed ball/strike call and say "my bad". My favorite exchange in college went something like this (I was a catcher):

*Set up on the corner, here's the wind, and the pitch (2 strikes on the hitter)*

*SMACK! My glove doesn't move

Umpire: Ball...

Me: *Hesitates and sticks the pitch/holds the ball for 1-2 seconds, not enough to show up the umpire, but enough to hold it an extra split second to let him know that I thought he missed it, tosses ball back to the pitcher*

Umpire: "What do you think? You think I missed it? I dunno MWil, I think that one was close, what do you think? Ah, ***** it! That's my bad, have him throw that there again!!!!!!!!"

Me: No problem, will do

Also, to be completely fair, as a catcher, when I hit, I got the benefit of the doubt on about any close pitch due to my as a whole positive relationship with umpires, so I don't have a lot to complain about.

That said, if we EVER got that type of behavior/reaction, you'd better believe that umpire's crew chief would be getting a phone call and post-game report from our coach and AD.

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, I mean, even players are relatively forgiving of umpires for the most part, especially during regular season games. I've had umpires seek me/teammates/opponents out between innings or at the next at bat, whether themselves or through a coach, to admit a missed ball/strike call and say "my bad". My favorite exchange in college went something like this (I was a catcher):

*Set up on the corner, here's the wind, and the pitch (2 strikes on the hitter)*

*SMACK! My glove doesn't move

Umpire: Ball...

Me: *Hesitates and sticks the pitch/holds the ball for 1-2 seconds, not enough to show up the umpire, but enough to hold it an extra split second to let him know that I thought he missed it, tosses ball back to the pitcher*

Umpire: "What do you think? You think I missed it? I dunno MWil, I think that one was close, what do you think? Ah, ***** it! That's my bad, have him throw that there again!!!!!!!!"

Me: No problem, will do

Also, to be completely fair, as a catcher, when I hit, I got the benefit of the doubt on about any close pitch due to my as a whole positive relationship with umpires, so I don't have a lot to complain about.

That said, if we EVER got that type of behavior/reaction, you'd better believe that umpire's crew chief would be getting a phone call and post-game report from our coach and AD.

I'm not even saying the relationship has to be a positive one like that interaction or how NHL refs interact with the players, because each sport has their own ump/ref culture. But they all have to be professional and not distracting from the game. Baseball and soccer are the two biggest screw ups in that regard,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm not even saying the relationship has to be a positive one like that interaction or how NHL refs interact with the players, because each sport has their own ump/ref culture. But they all have to be professional and not distracting from the game. Baseball and soccer are the two biggest screw ups in that regard,

As an umpire, I'm a firm believer, both as a former player and now coach, that if no one realizes that you're there, you've done an outstanding job.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, tom cody said:

I saw that tweet from the Blue Jays. That was pretty cool. Hopefully the team learns how to hit soon. The pitching's been really good so far but the hitting has been awful. 

Also, can't wait until some team trades for Giles, thinking he is fixed, and then he implodes in a crucial moment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slateman said:

Also, can't wait until some team trades for Giles, thinking he is fixed, and then he implodes in a crucial moment.

As long as he implodes after we trade him. He should fetch us something nice if he keeps pitching like he is