Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

Just now, BlondeonBlonde said:

I punted once in high school. Completely shanked it, and it ended up as a net loss of 2 yards. I never punted again. 

I saw a guy punt straight up from his end zone and nobody knew where the hell the ball was until a guy on return jumped on it.

I always wondered if that was scored a zero yard punt return touchdown.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Everything Peyton and Brady threw was over the top. That arm flexion isnt something you just do some drills and have. That's a God given gift. The other video I embedded where he is throwing side arm, which naturally takes power out of your throw, and then he double clutches during his cockback stopping all momentum and still puts that velocity on that ball. That just doesn't naturally occur. Aaron's arm is an as rare as they come from a purely genetic standpoint. Mahommes may have it, he's going to be fun to watch. Russ is close, but not quite to that level. Favre's was stronger, but not from as many arm slots. Aaron can throw any ball full velocity from any arm slot, without stepping into the throw, just stupid.

Let's just say we agree to disagree on some of this stuff.

This much I will say, definitively.  Aaron Rodgers has unreal talent.  And he can spin it from any angle.

That sidearm one?  With the double hitch?  You gotta be careful throwing too many of those.  It puts different stress on the arm and elbow.  You are kind of torquing your elbow away from your natural body weight.  It's almost like moving your body forward then backward on a golf swing (that slices).  

3 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

I punted once in high school. Completely shanked it, and it ended up as a net loss of 2 yards. I never punted again. 

I held on extra points and our kicker whiffed once.  I didn't Lucy him, he just missed the ball on the kick.

I had to pivot out of there, yell "Fire" and pray a receiver got out on a route.

He didn't, and I was crushed.

We always went for two after that.

And...I was playing frisbee with my wife about a year ago.  Actually, we were just throwing the frisbee around.  She managed to throw it 10 yards backwards, behind herself and hit my truck.  

Only in sports....

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Let's just say we agree to disagree on some of this stuff.

This much I will say, definitively.  Aaron Rodgers has unreal talent.  And he can spin it from any angle.

That sidearm one?  With the double hitch?  You gotta be careful throwing too many of those.  It puts different stress on the arm and elbow.  You are kind of torquing your elbow away from your natural body weight.  It's almost like moving your body forward then backward on a golf swing (that slices).  

The common man would blow their UCL 100 times over trying to throw like Rodgers. He's 35, if it was going to happen it would've by now. That arm is a genetic gift and it's extremely rare.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The common man would blow their UCL 100 times over trying to throw like Rodgers. He's 35, if it was going to happen it would've by now. That arm is a genetic gift and it's extremely rare.

Agreed.

Is that what happened to Ben?  I didn't catch his exact injury.  Looked like a non-contact arm injury.

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Barry Sanders of QBs? 

36 minutes ago, Norm said:

I saw a guy punt straight up from his end zone and nobody knew where the hell the ball was until a guy on return jumped on it.

I always wondered if that was scored a zero yard punt return touchdown.

I think South Dakota HS football would fit in nicely with a lot of Wisconsin HS football. Do the coaches scream a lot? To me, it's like, dude, your screaming does nothing but highlight how much you have failed to teach when you had the chance.

So, I am really enjoying the Aaron Rodgers ride this year. MLF has the fresh approach. Aaron seems kind of serious this year, like he is a little preoccupied with this process of making his old body and the new offense work. I don't know if this defense will afford him the opportunity to go off on some poor team for 375 and four tuddies, though. MLF strikes me as another "take the foot off the gas, we're up by twenty" kind of guy. Still, at some point this season, I would love to see Aaron and the offense figure things  out and get let off the chain to run some poor defense right up a tree.

Edited by Uffdaswede

No joke I can punt the hell out of a football.  I was recruited in high school because we played this one game in gym and I could kick the **** out of the ball it wasn’t a football, but I still got recruited because the gym teacher was the football coach.  I can do it with a football, too.  I still do it to impress people and I still got it.  

I probably missed my calling as a professional football player because I can absolutely crush a football and in a straight line, too.  

If you don’t believe me, put some money on the line and I will prove it.  

I could probably hit at least a 40 yarder realistically.  Maybe more.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just like his Favre, this is not how you throw a slant.  It's a great completion, but look at it.

He's got the most perfect pocket to make that throw.  Huge lane.  No obstruction of the lane, action away from the slant is moving a defender to the right.

He's staring down the receiver.  Don't give me that anticipation stuff.  It's a designed slant.  He's looking right at the area.  Never takes his eyes away from it.

It's bad mechanics.  Feet aren't what they are supposed to be.  No step into the throw.  He double hitched.  He double hitched because it wasn't working out as it should.  It took a tick longer.

This is just Rodgers releasing the ball like Rodgers can.

Other QB's make that play and it isn't "gasp" worthy because they would step into the throw and it would look more "normal".

I get the Rodgers love.  But I've been more impressed with some of his other throws this year.

Highlight the G-MO TD grab.  I thought he threw that ball perfectly.  High, where GMO could get it, and if not?  Out of bounds.

I thought he had a great play on the first TD, he faked a screen to the left with Aaron Jones, only to come back to the right and get a pass through the fray and into Williams' hands.  That was a very, very pretty play.

Those are off the top of my head.

I'm not trying to take away these other throws, just pointing out that I was more impressed with some of his other throws.

The way he's falling back on that slant is how he throws every ball now. The long bomb to MVS against the Bears was the same way.

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The way he's falling back on that slant is how he throws every ball now. The long bomb to MVS against the Bears was the same way.

Yup.

You see his Super Bowl victory lately?  Mechanically it is a completely different quarterback.

23 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No joke I can punt the hell out of a football.  I was recruited in high school because we played this one game in gym and I could kick the **** out of the ball it wasn’t a football, but I still got recruited because the gym teacher was the football coach.  I can do it with a football, too.  I still do it to impress people and I still got it.  

I probably missed my calling as a professional football player because I can absolutely crush a football and in a straight line, too.  

You get them to spiral and turn over?

55 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I think South Dakota HS football would fit in nicely with a lot of Wisconsin HS football. Do the coaches scream a lot? To me, it's like, dude, your screaming does nothing but highlight how much you have failed to teach when you had the chance.

So, I am really enjoying the Aaron Rodgers ride this year. MLF has the fresh approach. Aaron seems kind of serious this year, like he is a little preoccupied with this process of making his old body and the new offense work. I don't know if this defense will afford him the opportunity to go off on some poor team for 375 and four tuddies, though. MLF strikes me as another "take the foot off the gas, we're up by twenty" kind of guy. Still, at some point this season, I would love to see Aaron and the offense figure things  out and get let off the chain to run some poor defense right up a tree.

Every coach in the conference around here is loud and annoying, yes.

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

was it a baseball?