Pick one; Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson

Kiwibrown

Julio vs Calvin  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Julio vs Calvin

Anybody who says Julio Jones is wrong. 

Julio has had Matt Ryan at QB every single game of his career.  Not just every single year, but every single game. 

Calvin Johnson had Jon Kitna and Daunte Culpepper and Drew Henson, Dan Orlovsky and Drew Stanton. 

Additionally, Julio Jones came into the league when Matt Ryan was entering his third year as a starter. 

Matt Stafford started ten games as a rookie.  Then, in Stafford's second year, he missed 13 games due to injuries, meaning Calvin Johnson had to play with Shaun Hill. 

In spite of the WILDLY huge gap between QB play and teams, Calvin had .14 more touchdowns per game and ten yards less per game. 

With all of those terrible quarterbacks, Calvin Johnson had 4 double digit TD seasons.  Julio Jones has one. 

When comparing players, I always like to wonder what would happen if they had switched teams.  Calvin would have dominated in the current Falcons team.  Julio Jones on those crap Lions teams?  Don't think he'd fair so well with some of those other quarterbacks throwing to him or with some of that complete lack of talent on offense compared to the Falcons. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Malik said:

You don't think Odell, Hopkins, Antonio, or AJ Green get that type of coverage? Gronk didn't? Tyreek Hill might be the only elite receiver that doesn't and that's because he score 30+ yard receiving TDs half the time when he reaches the endzone.

I've only seen Gronk and Megatron actually get this coverage at the goal line. Even if those others have (or one day will) that still fits what I said.

On 2019-04-14 at 8:19 AM, Outpost31 said:

Anybody who says Julio Jones is wrong. 

Julio has had Matt Ryan at QB every single game of his career.  Not just every single year, but every single game. 

Calvin Johnson had Jon Kitna and Daunte Culpepper and Drew Henson, Dan Orlovsky and Drew Stanton. 

Additionally, Julio Jones came into the league when Matt Ryan was entering his third year as a starter. 

Matt Stafford started ten games as a rookie.  Then, in Stafford's second year, he missed 13 games due to injuries, meaning Calvin Johnson had to play with Shaun Hill. 

In spite of the WILDLY huge gap between QB play and teams, Calvin had .14 more touchdowns per game and ten yards less per game. 

With all of those terrible quarterbacks, Calvin Johnson had 4 double digit TD seasons.  Julio Jones has one. 

When comparing players, I always like to wonder what would happen if they had switched teams.  Calvin would have dominated in the current Falcons team.  Julio Jones on those crap Lions teams?  Don't think he'd fair so well with some of those other quarterbacks throwing to him or with some of that complete lack of talent on offense compared to the Falcons. 

Why can’t I figure out how to “like” a post?

Should I be wearing a special hat?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

Why can’t I figure out how to “like” a post?

Click the little Football to the bottom left of the post.

5 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

Should I be wearing a special hat?

We ALL should be wearing special hats.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, sammymvpknight said:

Lol. Sure bud. Julio is AWFUL within the red zone, nobody is double teaming him down there. You know with the invent of red zone opposing fans do actually get the opportunity to watch the Falcons. 

Roddy White and Calvin Ridley have no problem catching passes in the red zone from Ryan. Some good receivers are poor red zone targets. Andre Johnson was another was. Julio is still a good receiver but little things like TDs do make a difference in comparisons. 

My goodness what an atrocious take. How many Falcon games do you typically watch in a season? Calvin Ridley almost always had 1-on-1 coverage last season. When teams started to catch on mid-season, he had a no touchdown streak. I've seen teams put their best corner, a safety, and an outside linebacker on Julio while approaching the end-zone to the point where he essentially becomes a decoy. Without Julio's presence, Calvin Ridley doesn't sniff 10 touchdowns. 

Julio is an unreal receiver, but it's equally amazing what he does for the other weapons on the field. There's a reason why even though Julio is never at the top of the league in touchdown receptions, Matt Ryan has no trouble finding the end-zone. Julio clearly showed he didn't have red-zone issues in 2012 when he had modest coverage due to Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White and led the team with double-digit touchdowns. It was the year after that teams quickly realized he was elite everywhere on the field and Roddy White's health started to decline. 

Edited by Monoxide

On 4/13/2019 at 4:28 PM, sammymvpknight said:

TD magnet. maxresdefault.jpg

why can every other good WR in the NFL find a way to catch red zone TDs except Julio? Are you trying to tell me that Ryan is that bad? Because if you are...you’re full of it

*Posts photo of Joe Thomas missing a block against James Harrison*

See?!?!? Joe Thomas was littered with pass rushing woes during his career!!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Monoxide said:

My goodness what an atrocious take. How many Falcon games do you typically watch in a season? Calvin Ridley almost always had 1-on-1 coverage last season. When teams started to catch on mid-season, he had a no touchdown streak. I've seen teams put their best corner, a safety, and an outside linebacker on Julio while approaching the end-zone to the point where he essentially becomes a decoy. Without Julio's presence, Calvin Ridley doesn't sniff 10 touchdowns. 

Julio is an unreal receiver, but it's equally amazing what he does for the other weapons on the field. There's a reason why even though Julio is never at the top of the league in touchdown receptions, Matt Ryan has no trouble finding the end-zone. Julio clearly showed he didn't have red-zone issues in 2012 when he had modest coverage due to Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White and led the team with double-digit touchdowns. It was the year after that teams quickly realized he was elite everywhere on the field and Roddy White's health started to decline. 

By double digit TDs you mean 10 TDs. Why not just say 10 TDs instead of keeping it ambiguous for readers in hopes of helping your argument. And even though 10 TDs is pretty darn modest for an elite NFL receiver, you treat the other 7 years like the outliner. Oh, he has so many other targets taking away targets from poor Julio who is quadrupled every play. Get real. Every good WR in the league draw just as much attention as Julio. That’s no excuse.

There are elite WRs who simply aren’t great in the red zone. That’s ok. Julio is still one of the best WRs in the NFL. But this is a comparison between two great WRs, and in my opinion, TDs matter. 

It is Calvin hands down. Stafford is a great QB but the rest of the Lions supporting cast has been regularly suspect throughout his career. We have rarely had a combination of complimentary WR's/TE's, a competent rushing attack play-calling and a defense that can keep the team in the game. Some years we've had a decent defense but then Calvin is pretty much the only guy on offense. We've had years where Calvin has had some help but the defense was a spaghetti strainer. We've had years where Stafford had to throw for 5,000+ yards because we had no chance in a game otherwise.

The Falcons have been a much better and more consistent organization. Julio is a great player but he's also benefitted from having more around him in comparison to Calvin.