Playstation 5

showtime

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:14 PM, Xenos said:

Man reading all this makes me feel so out of the loop. The last console I ever owned was a PS2 and half the games were PS1. Probably won't be involved in this new generation either. Part of me wish I still had the time and commitment especially for certain games like the Witchet and Zelda. But hats off to everyone here. 

I have the newer systems only because of my kids.  I rarely every get time to game, and when I do, it's usually to help my youngest.  Still enjoy keeping up with what's going on though.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Ton of rumors going around about backwards compatibility. I'll be more than shocked if we're able to finally get PS3 emulation. Then it would most definitely push the PS5 as a day one purchase for me. If the rumors are true about

• PS1/2/3/4 BC
  • A graphics card comparable to the AMD 5700XT
  • A 1TB SSD drive
  • Finally 60FPS

Then I can't see the PS5 being anything under $500

28 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Ton of rumors going around about backwards compatibility. I'll be more than shocked if we're able to finally get PS3 emulation. Then it would most definitely push the PS5 as a day one purchase for me. If the rumors are true about

• PS1/2/3/4 BC
  • A graphics card comparable to the AMD 5700XT
  • A 1TB SSD drive
  • Finally 60FPS

Then I can't see the PS5 being anything under $500

I really liked the rumor about this thing possibly being able to remaster the game on the fly.

It will absolutely be expensive, that's for damn sure. Do we have any knowledge on when they're going to drop some actual info on it?

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

I really liked the rumor about this thing possibly being able to remaster the game on the fly.

It will absolutely be expensive, that's for damn sure. Do we have any knowledge on when they're going to drop some actual info on it?

Some are saying Sony will unveil more info on PS5 on the 6th at CES. Sony put out a twitter response saying "The Future is now" with a few Playstation developers liking the tweet. I personally think it will be about TVs and pushing that 8K narrative, but its possible we get PS5 info. I actually hope that's the case so I can see what I'll be getting myself into since I want to purchase I new graphics card for my PC and a PS5 if it has some awesome specs.

• Like 1

I was listening to something that said the PS5 is reportedly going to be 9 teraflops in power, while the Series X is going to be 12 teraflops in power.  That's a pretty big difference in power, generally speaking.  I wonder if that's actually going to be true.

39 minutes ago, showtime said:

I was listening to something that said the PS5 is reportedly going to be 9 teraflops in power, while the Series X is going to be 12 teraflops in power.  That's a pretty big difference in power, generally speaking.  I wonder if that's actually going to be true.

We will see, but until Microsoft comes even remotely close to the quality of exclusives Sony has, the power of the console doesn't matter much IMO.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

We will see, but until Microsoft comes even remotely close to the quality of exclusives Sony has, the power of the console doesn't matter much IMO.

I agree; however, exclusives are just a small part of gaming.  The majority of games, especially ones that a lot of people play, are third party games.  Lets say the Series X can play those games better - higher frame rates, higher resolution/frame rate, etc that's going to end up being a fairly significant deal to a lot of people. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, showtime said:

I agree; however, exclusives are just a small part of gaming.  The majority of games, especially ones that a lot of people play, are third party games.  Lets say the Series X can play those games better - higher frame rates, higher resolution/frame rate, etc that's going to end up being a fairly significant deal to a lot of people. 

Depends on if it also means a significant price difference, if the PS5 is considerably cheaper it won't matter that the series X is more powerful... Especially considering Sony has far more momentum coming into this generation than Microsoft does. The ps3 was more powerful than the 360 but the big price difference caused the 360 to have a much better launch and it took the entire console generation for Sony to finally catch up and end up outselling Microsoft and with a lot of people having a lack of faith in Microsoft after this current generation they cannot afford to have that kind of gap.

Yes hardcore gamers definitely care about power and would be enticed by the more powerful console but the fact is hardcore gamers represent a small minority of the consumer base and everyone else cares more about the impact on their wallet than they do frame rates or resolutions.

That being said I find it very hard to believe there would be that big of a power gap between the two anyway and seriously doubt the validity of those claims. 

49 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Depends on if it also means a significant price difference, if the PS5 is considerably cheaper it won't matter that the series X is more powerful... Especially considering Sony has far more momentum coming into this generation than Microsoft does. The ps3 was more powerful than the 360 but the big price difference caused the 360 to have a much better launch and it took the entire console generation for Sony to finally catch up and end up outselling Microsoft and with a lot of people having a lack of faith in Microsoft after this current generation they cannot afford to have that kind of gap.

Yes hardcore gamers definitely care about power and would be enticed by the more powerful console but the fact is hardcore gamers represent a small minority of the consumer base and everyone else cares more about the impact on their wallet than they do frame rates or resolutions.

That being said I find it very hard to believe there would be that big of a power gap between the two anyway and seriously doubt the validity of those claims. 

I agree with you, but that would only be initially.  You're right - the extremely high cost of the PS3 is what caused the Xbox 360 to dominate in the early-mid stages because the Xbox 360 was significantly cheaper.  Over time, though, that will change just like it did with the PS3 and Xbox 360.  Eventually, the PS3 started to sell much better towards the end when it started to become more imperative to own a Blu-Ray player.

I doubted the huge power gap as well, but then I started to think about the numerous reports that say Microsoft is going to release more than one next gen console and that the Series X is going to be the more powerful option.  If that is true, Microsoft could be releasing another console (lets just call it the Series S) that is more in line with the reported power of the PS5 and will sell for the same price.

The Series X version of the console might be a 'pro' version, which will release immediately instead of a year or two down the road like most 'pro' versions of consoles tend to do.  That would be really interesting because you give consumers the option at launch to choose which console they want to own.

I really can't wait to see the full specs for both consoles. Even if the Series X is at 12 teraflops and the PS5 at 9.5, that's still kinda close. You'll be talking semantics at that point because we need to see what the rest of the hardware looks like. And we still gotta hope the developers are able to maximize the profits of the "powerful" hardware.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Good point.

There is also another rumor, however, that Sony may be releasing 2 versions of the console, one being a more expensive Pro version for hardcore gamers.   I dont know if the specs on that would be more comparable to the supposed Series X specs, but I could see them doing that.

Have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Good point.

There is also another rumor, however, that Sony may be releasing 2 versions of the console, one being a more expensive Pro version for hardcore gamers.   I dont know if the specs on that would be more comparable to the supposed Series X specs, but I could see them doing that.

Have to wait and see.

Ah, that makes sense.  I have not heard that Sony would be releasing two versions of the PS5.  If that's true, that seems on par with what Microsoft is reported to be doing.  That would mean four consoles released late this year.

:o

So how long do they generally continue making games for the console which is being "replaced"? I won't get a PS5 any time soon after it's release bc I'm not a big gamer by any means. How long do you think they will be making games for the PS4 after the 5 is released? 

Edited by JTagg7754