What are the smartest moves made to build your team?

Kiwibrown

19 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Traded: Pick #28

Received: Randy Moss and Jerod Mayo

Everyone talks about Moss as if he won a SB for you guys... It was cool to see him put up numbers, but from the standard set by the Brady-led Patriots, he didn't get what everyone with NE gets.

I dunno, maybe it's just me?

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 1:38 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Doug Pederson convincing Nick Foles to come back to Philly and back up Carson Wentz has to be up there for the city of Philadelphia. 

As well for Nick both Personally  and now Financially.

I think what's even more so is Howie's move of going from 12 to 8 by offloading our dead weight DeMarco Murray and Kiko Alonso. That was such a swindling.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:39 AM, Malik said:

Don't get it. The Ravens have been the most consistent front office of the last 20 years. Have had great to hall of players pretty much everywhere in that span outside of QB and WR and have still been consistently successful.

The ravens are overrated in the sense the media always hyped them up as some type of dark house contender despite the fact they haven’t don’t anything of note in the playoffs since the Super Bowl. 

They have basically been a 500 team since the start of the 2013 season 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 11:31 AM, ET80 said:

Everyone talks about Moss as if he won a SB for you guys... It was cool to see him put up numbers, but from the standard set by the Brady-led Patriots, he didn't get what everyone with NE gets.

I dunno, maybe it's just me?

I think it's just you.  Yeah, Super Bowls are awesome (not that I'd know), but I would bet that the 2007 season will still go down as one of the most memorable and enjoyable seasons for the fans in New England.  While winning it all is the ultimate destination, the journey they took in the attempt to get there was still a very special one even though they came up short right at the end.

14 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think it's just you.  Yeah, Super Bowls are awesome (not that I'd know), but I would bet that the 2007 season will still go down as one of the most memorable and enjoyable seasons for the fans in New England.  While winning it all is the ultimate destination, the journey they took in the attempt to get there was still a very special one even though they came up short right at the end.

This makes sense if it wasn't New England. Winning championships is 2nd nature - I'm sure they'd take a SB season with Brady throwing for 1,300 10/15 and no WR going over 500 yards over 2007, simply because they won a SB.

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

This makes sense if it wasn't New England. Winning championships is 2nd nature - I'm sure they'd take a SB season with Brady throwing for 1,300 10/15 and no WR going over 500 yards over 2007, simply because they won a SB.

I mean yeah. I don't think the Broncos enjoyed winning SB 50 less just because Peyton was washed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

I mean yeah. I don't think the Broncos enjoyed winning SB 50 less just because Peyton was washed.

Likewise, they didn't care much of the 5,000/55 burger that Manning put up the year they got waxed by Seattle in the SB.

When you're a team that wins championships, numbers are nice - but if they don't culminate in a championship, they ring hollow.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:21 AM, jebrick said:

Hiring Chuck Noll and drafting Joe Greene ( 50 years ago :D )

NFL Films had a cool story about how the Steelers had the only tape of John Stallworth and when other teams asked for it, they said it was lost
Back in those days, the small schools ( and Historic Black Colleges)  weren't as well scouted as they are today and the Steelers essentially stole him from the rest of the NFL. Smart move

http://steelcurtainrising.com/2009/09/john-stallworths-improbable-journey-with-the-pittsburgh-steelers-from-player-to-owner.html/

"In his self titled autobiography, Steelers Chairman Emeritus Dan Rooney recounts how a team of BLESTO scouts had the ill fortune to time John Stallworth on a wet track. Ever wise, Steelers scout Bill Nunn feigned illness and stayed an extra day in Alabama, ran Stallworth on a dry track, and he got the time he wanted. Nunn, who had extensive connections with the HBC community, coaxed Alabama A&M into sending films of Stallworth to the Steelers. This was long before the days of Mel Kiper and the cottage industry that today envelops the NFL draft.

A single tape on John Stallworth existed, and it was so impressive that Bill Nunn conveniently “forgot” to return it, giving Pittsburgh an effective a monopoly on information about Stallworth "

• Like 1