What are the smartest moves made to build your team?

Kiwibrown

36 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

With all due respect, we've been hearing that the Ravens have been a team on the decline since the year 2001. Don't remember a single offseason in the entirety of the time I closely followed the team where there wasn't a perception that we were falling off from something. Didn't matter both times we had a rookie QB and reached double digit wins and the playoffs. The defense had peaked and was going to crash and burn after 2008 as well**. 

So, I'm going to believe this crater when I actually see it* and we're picking Trevor Lawrence #1 in 2021.

*in real games, not offseason polls

**Yep "Ravens: 8.5 under—120" after Flacco's rookie season when we won 11 games and reached the AFCCG

src: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/165318-vegas-releases-2009-nfl-season-win-totals

Don't get it. The Ravens have been the most consistent front office of the last 20 years. Have had great to hall of players pretty much everywhere in that span outside of QB and WR and have still been consistently successful.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:10 AM, Shanedorf said:

HC Mike Holmgren leaving a message on Reggie White's answering machine: " Reggie, this is God, you should go to Green Bay"

Pissing off Favre and the HC Mike Sherman.... and drafting Aaron Rodgers

This is as epic as it gets. 

Doug Pederson convincing Nick Foles to come back to Philly and back up Carson Wentz has to be up there for the city of Philadelphia. 

As well for Nick both Personally  and now Financially.

Edited by Nabbs4u

9 hours ago, DawgX said:

Seems like that was a trade that worked out well for both teams considering we got Nick Chubb out of it.

That part stings a bit for me, but it's OK - Brock has a face you want to slam through a plate glass window, so he needed to go. 

• Like 2

I'm going ignore anything to do with Brady's draft position or letting him start even when Drew was healthy, because I think those aren't necessarily smart decisions - (certainly letting TB slide to 199 wasn't smart on anyone's part), so...

1. Got Randy Moss for a 4th round pick from the Raiders (which they used on John Bowie, CB...) 

2. Traded a 6th round pick to DET for Kyle Van Noy and a 7th round pick, which we ended up trading to Dallas to move up to get a backup OT. KVN is now a crucial piece of our somehow functional D

3. Acquired restricted free agent wide receiver Wes Welker from the Dolphins in exchange for second- and seventh-round draft picks. With Moss and Stall stretching field, he was a menace underneath for us. It is often argued (I don't know if accurately) that this move ushered in the slot-receiver trend

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm going ignore anything to do with Brady's draft position or letting him start even when Drew was healthy, because I think those aren't necessarily smart decisions - (certainly letting TB slide to 199 wasn't smart on anyone's part), so...

1. Got Randy Moss for a 4th round pick from the Raiders (which they used on John Bowie, CB...) 

2. Traded a 6th round pick to DET for Kyle Van Noy and a 7th round pick, which we ended up trading to Dallas to move up to get a backup OT. KVN is now a crucial piece of our somehow functional D

3. Acquired restricted free agent wide receiver Wes Welker from the Dolphins in exchange for second- and seventh-round draft picks. With Moss and Stall stretching field, he was a menace underneath for us. It is often argued (I don't know if accurately) that this move ushered in the slot-receiver trend

All the Patriots posts are sickening. 

1. Drafted best QB in 50th round and had guts to stay with him over a former number 1 overall draft pick.  

2. Get HOF free agents at their best for one year.

3. Any O linemen magically becomes instantly good.

4. They take the wrong WRs and RBs and make them good.

5. No names on defense make plays.  

6. Docked high picks and pick at end of every round and it doesn't matter.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

All the Patriots posts are sickening. 

1. Drafted best QB in 50th round and had guts to stay with him over a former number 1 overall draft pick.  

2. Get HOF free agents at their best for one year.

3. Any O linemen magically becomes instantly good.

4. They take the wrong WRs and RBs and make them good.

5. No names on defense make plays.  

6. Docked high picks and pick at end of every round and it doesn't matter.  

Don't forget Revis' contract with the team option which I believe was the first time a team used an option to spread the cap, "cut" the player and still get a comp pick.

How about this one as well...

2003 Draft

Traded: Drew Bledsoe, Tebucky Jones, Picks #19, #75, and #193

Received: Ty Warren, Eugene Wilson, Dan Klecko, Vince Wilfork, Tully Banta-Cain, and Corey Dillon

:D

2007 Draft

Traded: Pick #28

Received: Randy Moss and Jerod Mayo

The Patriots dealt #28 to San Francisco in exchange for a fourth round pick (#110) and a 2008 first rounder. They then traded #110 to Oakland for a receiver by the name of Randy Moss, ever heard of him? The first round pick in 2008? Just a former team captain, and current assistant coach, Jerod Mayo. Probably the best trade in Patriots history, and other than the Herschel Walker dealmaybe among the better ones in NFL history.

Edited by Hunter2_1

Hitting on 1st round picks at a very high rate (Ryan, Baker, Weatherspoon, Julio, Trufant, Matthews, Beasley, Neal, Takk, Ridley all have at minimum shown flashes). Making smart signings to continue to build. But they need to really focus on lines for the next year or two.

Edit : misunderstood the question.

The smartest thing we’ve done is trade up for Sam Darnold. Our team has direction now. Before we were just fumbling around. Now everything we do revolves around him. From what coach to hire to what players will work with him best. 

Edited by SDotNova