2020 Needs and Free Agent List

ChaRisMa

16 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Spriggs would really have to show something this year for me to be cool with bringing him back on a starter's contract. 

Spriggs is JC Tretter Redux - only - JC showed more all around capability than Spriggs has at one primary spot: OT. I believe JC was liked - but he'd not clearly won a starting spot in GB yet - so CLE snagged him - plugged him in at C and not looked back.  He's started 32 straight games for them.

If Bulaga stays healthy this year and Spriggs sees limited action filling in........what to do?  Spriggs clearly wont have "won" the OT job. It would entail more projection than game tape confirmation.

Bulaga will be 31 next March and (calendar) age is less an issue at OT than other positions. With Bulaga - its more his "bodily injury age" that counts. He'd probably find more $$$ on the FA market than GB will be willing to offer.

Btw - as an aside - since I mentioned him, Tretter will be a 29 y/o UFA in 2020.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

Spriggs is JC Tretter Redux - only - JC showed more all around capability than Spriggs has at one primary spot: OT. I believe JC was liked - but he'd not clearly won a starting spot in GB yet - so CLE snagged him - plugged him in at C and not looked back.  He's started 32 straight games for them.

If Bulaga stays healthy this year and Spriggs sees limited action filling in........what to do?  Spriggs clearly wont have "won" the OT job. It would entail more projection than game tape confirmation.

Bulaga will be 31 next March and (calendar) age is less an issue at OT than other positions. With Bulaga - its more his "bodily injury age" that counts. He'd probably find more $$$ on the FA market than GB will be willing to offer.

Btw - as an aside - since I mentioned him, Tretter will be a 29 y/o UFA in 2020.

I'd say Tretter showed more starting potential than Spriggs has. Tretter's problem in Green Bay was that he was stuck behind Linsley, who had an additional year on his rookie contract. If Gute and co. believe in Spriggs and decide to re-sign him, I'll trust them, but IMO he's shown more "quality backup" potential than true starter potential.

To me, Spriggs is (as good as) already gone. I AM patient with players, but a rookies window (the time until he shines) should almost never be more than 3rd season, at the end of TC and maybe the first handful of games. If you can't do it by then, the chances are pretty miniscule that you ever will.

I'm not sure how Spriggs ties in with Tretter, who had shown he could play as a starter-level player. I was a bit surprised he was let go for Linsley (and I have to assume it was down to more than whose second contract came up first). To be honest, I thought at the time Tretter's versatility gave him the edge.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

2 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

He's is 29 at this very moment when this post is being made. If that's the wrong side of 30 this team is boned.

He will be on the wrong side of 30 when the season begins IIRC from another post...

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Here's my thoughts.

LB Blake Martinez - They're only going to do it if the money is right.  My guess is they're going to slow play it very similar to the way that they did with Corey Linsley.  I don't think they're going to pay top money for an ILB.  But if he's willing to take a reasonable deal, he's going to get another deal from Green Bay.

This is why the deal needs to be done immediately. Ink him to a 3 year deal before the price goes up. 

If he were to get a 3 year deal before TC starts, would 3/$25mil. sound good?

44 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I'd say Tretter showed more starting potential than Spriggs has. Tretter's problem in Green Bay was that he was stuck behind Linsley, who had an additional year on his rookie contract. If Gute and co. believe in Spriggs and decide to re-sign him, I'll trust them, but IMO he's shown more "quality backup" potential than true starter potential.

This is true.

30 minutes ago, Joe said:

He will be on the wrong side of 30 when the season begins IIRC from another post...

He's 29. When the season begins, he'll be on neither "side" of 30. The other post is wrong, and it only takes a second of actual thought and some kindergarten level math to prove it. Maybe 10 seconds to fact check on google.

Edited by HyponGrey

3 hours ago, Joe said:

This is why the deal needs to be done immediately. Ink him to a 3 year deal before the price goes up. 

If he were to get a 3 year deal before TC starts, would 3/$25mil. sound good?

Takes two to tango. Maybe he won't agree with their valuation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

To me, Spriggs is (as good as) already gone. I AM patient with players, but a rookies window (the time until he shines) should almost never be more than 3rd season, at the end of TC and maybe the first handful of games. If you can't do it by then, the chances are pretty miniscule that you ever will.

I'm not sure how Spriggs ties in with Tretter, who had shown he could play as a starter-level player. I was a bit surprised he was let go for Linsley (and I have to assume it was down to more than whose second contract came up first). To be honest, I thought at the time Tretter's versatility gave him the edge.

Tretter's problem was that he was always hurt.  He was less reliable than Linsley.  I saw them as pretty equal players, and in that case, I do think that the contract timing has at least something to do with it.  At the time I preferred Tretter, ever so slightly.  I completely understood the team rolling with Linsley at that juncture.

I think Spriggs mirrors more of Darryn Colledge at tackle, but without the good play at guard.  Almost good enough.  Not something that we want for starting tackle money.

3 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

He's 29. When the season begins, he'll be on neither "side" of 30. The other post is wrong, and it only takes a second of actual thought and some kindergarten level math to prove it. Maybe 10 seconds to fact check on google.

BEING 30 is on the wrong side of 30...

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 3:23 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Tretter's problem was that he was always hurt.  He was less reliable than Linsley.  I saw them as pretty equal players, and in that case, I do think that the contract timing has at least something to do with it.  At the time I preferred Tretter, ever so slightly.  I completely understood the team rolling with Linsley at that juncture.

I'd argue that Tretter was better than Linsley, and had a bigger impact but he wasn't reliable.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Spriggs will sign with NE for 1 year for like 4 million, then will get a 5 year 80 million deal the following offseason from a team like the Redskins.

Scarnecchia da gawd

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 6:04 PM, HyponGrey said:

Does it matter - you get the point he was trying to make.

I don't think you should spending your money on third contracts unless either

• a) its a one year deal
  • b) the player hasn't had any injury problems or sign of regression and even then I'm wary about anything long
  • c) its a QB or someone deemed irreplaceable

Daniels has had injury problems and has started to show signs of regression. I wouldn't consider cutting him this season and would happy to give him a 1 year deal but otherwise you walk away. Same with Bulaga, if he survives the season relatively intact and he is OK with a one year contract then so am I otherwise he should be on his way.

Martinez needs renewing*. Yes its probably an overpay but most contracts look like overpays. Decent starters who work well in your system are players you need to get signed up for a second deal. Lowry should be signed up and probably Geronimo at some point. If you don't keep your decent players on a second deal then you will always be chasing holes in the roster. I'd rather overpay someone like Martinez than have older guys on big contracts who are regressing and becoming more and more vulnerable to injury - he says glancing at the TE position. Fackrell is tricky because the other stats say he isn't a 10 sack player. There's a good chance we see regression to the mean next season. 

*As he didn't draft or sign him, this assumes that he is a player Gute 'wants' as opposed to someone he will tolerate as a starter whilst on a rookie deal

• Like 1