2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

14 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I don't get the drafting of RBs this year. They won't see the field we still have Jones and J.Williams. We re-signed Ervin and we have still have D.Williams. If we keep none of this lot for next year then that is the time to draft their replacements, as RBs are so plug and play, we don't need to sit them for a year. Drafting a RB this year will just eat up a draft pick and a roster space, just simply not worth it.

I wouldn't do that unless the value is there.  And that wouldn't be until R3 at the earliest.

13 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

That only works for me  if you are convinced that Dexter Williams is garbage and you are already planning on life without Jones. Otherwise we are having potentially 5 spots for RBs on our roster and that is without a fullback.

Has Dexter Williams shown that he's rosterable?  If he wasn't a former draft pick, would we even be thinking anything of him?

11 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

We could have $50m -$60m in cap space next year. Interesting to see what we are willing to commit to our players.

Bhak I'm torn on, great player not sure I like giving 3rd contracts out. if we extended him now to add another two years at $14m a year I could live with it.

I'm guessing Kenny wants minimum $16m a season.

Kevin King again I'm torn on, is he worth a $14m a year contract? I'm guessing that is what he is after, something similar to what Bradberry or Waynes signed this offseason.

Then there is Jones, there is talk he wants an extension. If he takes something similar to Austin Ekeler $6m - $7m I would do it. 

If we could keep Williams at around $3m a season I would do it. Linsley I'm less bothered about. 

Anyway depends how we view our own and whether they are giving any home discounts. I have a feeling they would want to retain all of them if the cash is there as it seems it is.

The market for Bakh is pretty set.  It's $16M/year.  Anything less, and you're getting a bargain.  Kenny Clark's agent is likely using Grady Jarrett as his comparison.  Kevin King isn't getting $14M/year.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Has Dexter Williams shown that he's rosterable?  If he wasn't a former draft pick, would we even be thinking anything of him?

He hasn't had a sniff yet of playing time.  Why go down the same route with another drafted RB, unless Jones and Jamaal get injured they ain't playing.

That's the thing with being drafted, you are less likely to give up on a player prematurely

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Kevin King isn't getting $14M/year.

I hope not, but Kev graded out higher than Bradberry last year based on PFF ratings, and Kev got more interceptions, and in terms of targets, receptions allowed and tackles was virtually identical to Bradberry. Bradberry is also older than King but he signed a 3 year $45m deal

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's all about how he shows up mentally tbh. This COVID situation won't help him that's for sure. Guy has all the physical tools, but you have to be very sharp with LaFleur and 12.

22 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

TBD 2020

I really like Kevin King and think he has some serious star potential, but he might have the shoulders of a 60 year old.  I'm just not sure the Packers would be wise to pay up given that injury history.  If he takes another step in 2020 and remains healthy it will be tough to let him walk.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

50 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This is the first draft in a while where I think I've changed my mind basically every day on who I'd like to see us take at 30 (reasonably assuming certain players are gone). 

Me too. There are so many guys we could reasonably take at #30 who on another day might go in the top 15-20. The draft really gets interesting at that point. You have a clear top tier of QB, OT, WR, DL, plus Simmons and Okudah — after that it’s so muddled. 

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

But didn't Smith play a power end, more or less in a 4-3?

I don't recall him playing inside near the guards.  And we really don't have that type of scheme.  And that's my fear, the scheme fit.  I think the player is useful in the right system, I just don't see it here.  I think we'd put him inside and regret the pick.  And he cannot flip outside, just doesn't have the movement.

He started as a power end with Cincy, but when he moved to SF, he was moved to the 3-tech in a 3-4 scheme. His sack numbers weren't as consistent, but you could argue he had a bigger impact on the game because his AV numbers practically doubled. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitJu20.htm

8 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Pretty interesting breakdown on the WR class. Some surprises in the rankings.

What do you guys think about Bryan Edwards? He makes some crazy catches but I don't see the crazy athleticism that people talk about.