2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

13 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

DJ is pretty plugged in, and we need an OT. Anyone have any strong feelings about Wilson?

Judging from some scouting reports he seems like a better fit for a power blocking scheme.  He's lacking in foot speed, and doesn't seem to be cut out real well for a zone blocking scheme.  I think the Packers want nimble athletes at tackle, but what do I know.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

Wilson doesn't fit the Packers athletic profile at OL with an 8 second 3 cone and a 5 second shuttle. Like there's "misses thresholds but you make an exception based on the talent (like with Sherrod's 7.4 and 4.6) and then there's "not in the same area code as the thresholds."

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

DJ is pretty plugged in, and we need an OT. Anyone have any strong feelings about Wilson?

**** those thresholds, we need some nasty on the OL and Isaiah will provide that.  1st round is a tough one though, hoped we could get him in the second.  We will see more wiggle room from the norm because you are short sighted if you base all the measurables on one day of testing.  Wilson could play RT for the next decade.

Edited by Dubz41

53 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Don't think he'll be on our board honestly. Movement skills are poor. So good news if he goes in the first, hopefully before pick 30.

• Like 1

Messed around with the TDN draft simulator for the first time in a couple months and only did our first 6 picks but pretty happy with how it played out. 

30- OL Josh Jones (Houston)

62- DT Raekwon Davis (Bama)

94- LB Akeem Davis-Gaithers (App St)

136- WR Tyler Johnson (Minnesota)

175- CB Myles Bryant (Washington)

192- LB Jacob Phillips (LSU)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe said:

That's exactly who I was thinking about when I thought Epenesa could move inside. Another guy would be Brett Kiesel who played at that same weight as well.

But didn't Smith play a power end, more or less in a 4-3?

I don't recall him playing inside near the guards.  And we really don't have that type of scheme.  And that's my fear, the scheme fit.  I think the player is useful in the right system, I just don't see it here.  I think we'd put him inside and regret the pick.  And he cannot flip outside, just doesn't have the movement.

• Like 1

I think we all want to see OT/WR/IDL taken in the 1st 3 rounds, but I wouldn't be the LEAST bit surprised to see the Packers value CB/OC higher then what we may atm. I'd bet one of those 2 positions trumps 1 of the 3 that we see feel they should take in the 1st 3 rounds and if I was a betting man? It's WR. OT/CB/IDL is my guess for the 1st 3 rounds.

7 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Epenesa would naturally get a little bigger as he ages .. he looks bigger to me than Z.  I see him more as a long term interior player, but would bring the kind of versatilty that the Packers seem to love.  There's a ton to like to like about this prospect. 

I think Z is primarily an edge rusher .. as is Gary .. as is Preston Smith.  I see Epenesa as an interior player in the pros, with enough versatility to play on the edge some as well.   

I’m not sure I share your optimism. Like I said, I like the player but he may be more of a 4-3 end than a 3-4 DE. Someone compared him to Smith from the 49ers. Justin Smith was 10# heavier so I think Epenesa needs at least that much weight probably more as Smith was freaky strong. You could be right on him though and I would oh are the pick. Guys with his mentality usually find a way to get it done and be a winner. Darien never came across that way to me. Didn’t want to play the position we needed him to play. Hopefully Epenesa would.