2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

10 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'd say being (as McCarthy would say) multiple, helps the team.

I don't want to see all the receivers winning the same way, because it limits what you can do. If you don't have a speed guy then the defense can cheat up since they don't fear the receiver blowing past them with a deep ball. Now big receivers might give defenders pause, but not so they have to back off a step or two to avoid being beaten deep. Anyway, big receivers and Rodgers are not a perfect combination, since he can be risk-averse when it comes to tossing balls up for a receiver to out-jump a defender. Receivers can win with agility or craftiness or speed or size or strength...........or a combination of those. I'd like to see as many was many ways to win as possible, on the team.

I get that point of view, and I certainly know how risk adverse Rodgers could be sometimes . I’m just thinking if we had the significant size advantage , it would be impossible to match up, rather we take a smaller guy who defenses could easily match. 

The big guys can also run as well.

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Epenesa can play inside or out .. he did it at Iowa.  He's probably play inside more than out in GB, but both he and Z are versatile enough to log snaps at various positions. Epenesa is excellent versus the run, has the frame to be a perfect fit at 5T. 

I just think he’s a little light at 275 for the NFL in a 3-4. He’s going to have to go the other way with his weight than Z did.

Again, I’m not saying he can’t and I really like the player he was in college. But, you have 2 guys almost the same size in college. One gets smaller and has success. You going to want the other to get larger and expect he can have success because Z Smith did. That’s not apples to apples. Do you think Z could flourish long term at IDL?

Now if you think Epenesa can lose 15# and be a similar player to Z, that’s a more logical conclusion or comparison to make. 

By the way, I hope he can gain 25-35# and be the same player but that may be a stretch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

I just think he’s a little light at 275 for the NFL in a 3-4. He’s going to have to go the other way with his weight than Z did.

Again, I’m not saying he can’t and I really like the player he was in college. But, you have 2 guys almost the same size in college. One gets smaller and has success. You going to want the other to get larger and expect he can have success because Z Smith did. That’s not apples to apples. Do you think Z could flourish long term at IDL?

Now if you think Epenesa can lose 15# and be a similar player to Z, that’s a more logical conclusion or comparison to make. 

By the way, I hope he can gain 25-35# and be the same player but that may be a stretch. 

I think Epenesa would naturally get a little bigger as he ages .. he looks bigger to me than Z.  I see him more as a long term interior player, but would bring the kind of versatilty that the Packers seem to love.  There's a ton to like to like about this prospect. 

I think Z is primarily an edge rusher .. as is Gary .. as is Preston Smith.  I see Epenesa as an interior player in the pros, with enough versatility to play on the edge some as well.   

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

We could have $50m -$60m in cap space next year. Interesting to see what we are willing to commit to our players.

Bhak I'm torn on, great player not sure I like giving 3rd contracts out. if we extended him now to add another two years at $14m a year I could live with it.

I'm guessing Kenny wants minimum $16m a season.

Kevin King again I'm torn on, is he worth a $14m a year contract? I'm guessing that is what he is after, something similar to what Bradberry or Waynes signed this offseason.

Then there is Jones, there is talk he wants an extension. If he takes something similar to Austin Ekeler $6m - $7m I would do it. 

If we could keep Williams at around $3m a season I would do it. Linsley I'm less bothered about. 

Anyway depends how we view our own and whether they are giving any home discounts. I have a feeling they would want to retain all of them if the cash is there as it seems it is.

I'm completely fine paying Bakh a third contract. He'll be 29 by end of this one. A two year extension would be perfect, but I would mind giving him a 4 year contract.

Pay Kenny what he asks. He's really good and has unique pass rushing skills as a NT.

No way I'm paying King over 10 million a year. He's injured a lot and has never played a season close to being a pro bowl. Give him a 2nd round tender or let him go.

I wouldn't mind giving Jones a two-year 12-14-million contract (I wouldn't be ecstatic either). No more however. No way I'm paying 3 million for Jamaal. I'd be fine with letting both of them walk.

Let Linsley walk unless we can get him for cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

I'm completely fine paying Bakh a third contract. He'll be 29 by end of this one. A two year extension would be perfect, but I would mind giving him a 4 year contract.

Pay Kenny what he asks. He's really good and has unique pass rushing skills as a NT.

No way I'm paying King over 10 million a year. He's injured a lot and has never played a season close to being a pro bowl. Give him a 2nd round tender or let him go.

I wouldn't mind giving Jones a two-year 12-14-million contract (I wouldn't be ecstatic either). No more however. No way I'm paying 3 million for Jamaal. I'd be fine with letting both of them walk.

Let Linsley walk unless we can get him for cheap.

Why would you mind paying him until he’s 33???

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Why would you mind paying him until he’s 33???

Agreed. He hasn't had the kind of injury history Bulaga has had and he's been the better Tackle.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Epenesa would naturally get a little bigger as he ages .. he looks bigger to me than Z.  I see him more as a long term interior player, but would bring the kind of versatilty that the Packers seem to love.  There's a ton to like to like about this prospect. 

I think Z is primarily an edge rusher .. as is Gary .. as is Preston Smith.  I see Epenesa as an interior player in the pros, with enough versatility to play on the edge some as well.   

Agreed. My only caveat with taking Epenesa(if he's there) is that we drafted Datone Jones and tried to get him to do the same thing. Granted, Epenesa's the better prospect coming out far and away, but we could probably take Raekwon Davis or Madubuike at 62(if he falls) and be just as fine.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

Agreed. He hasn't had the kind of injury history Bulaga has had and he's been the better Tackle.

Agreed. My only caveat with taking Epenesa(if he's there) is that we drafted Datone Jones and tried to get him to do the same thing. Granted, Epenesa's the better prospect coming out far and away, but we could probably take Raekwon Davis or Madubuike at 62(if he falls) and be just as fine.

Maybe so.  I think the Epenesa is already a pro .. Datone never figured that part out.  I feel Epenesa is a very safe pick .. he's going to give you everything he's got all the time, and by all reports he's a real student of the game and is a high IQ player.

28 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Maybe so.  I think the Epenesa is already a pro .. Datone never figured that part out.  I feel Epenesa is a very safe pick .. he's going to give you everything he's got all the time, and by all reports he's a real student of the game and is a high IQ player.

Hopefully, Packer brass has a good handle on their draft this year.  They don't need more projects/maybe have a huge upside/fit the round hole type player into a square hole position.  Such a crap shoot .. 

42 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Agreed, just worry about fit; that's all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Regarding Espenosa.....6'5''  275.  I guess the very little I've seen him, and it is just a little, he reminds me of a power end.  He's got some of that "old man" strength in him.  Kind of like Justin Smith (49ers end).  Justin was 6'4'' 285.  And I think he played end, not the interior.

Always admired Smith.  Great pro.  Game aged well.

I see some of him in Espenosa.  

And despite that, I don't think he works for our scheme.  He can't drop or more like P.  He isn't quick to rush like Z.  So though I like him, I just don't see him being a fit in GB.

Daniel Jeremiah -  I talked to 2 GMs in last 24 hours and both believe UGA OT Isaiah Wilson will go in the 1st round. That’s too rich for me but it looks like it’s going to happen. Betting on the upside.

• Ross Uglem -   If that's true, it's a name to watch for the Packers who are definitely in the right tackle market.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Regarding Espenosa.....6'5''  275.  I guess the very little I've seen him, and it is just a little, he reminds me of a power end.  He's got some of that "old man" strength in him.  Kind of like Justin Smith (49ers end).  Justin was 6'4'' 285.  And I think he played end, not the interior.

Always admired Smith.  Great pro.  Game aged well.

I see some of him in Espenosa.  

And despite that, I don't think he works for our scheme.  He can't drop or more like P.  He isn't quick to rush like Z.  So though I like him, I just don't see him being a fit in GB.

That's exactly who I was thinking about when I thought Epenesa could move inside. Another guy would be Brett Kiesel who played at that same weight as well.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ross Uglem -   The idea that Mims leading the country in contested catches = can't separate is silly. He was a high volume target asked to run an almost exclusively vertical route tree.

Devil's advocate: those numbers may have skewed the counter-cultural opinion on Mims. The idea that he can't separate is because he's not a physical receiver.

Edited by Joe