Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

9 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Speaking of most overrated; I’m kinda bored so. 

Active Wrestlers only

1. Most under-appreciated- Karl Anderson (he isn't signed but he is considered active?)

2. Most overrated - Randy Orton

3. Best in ring performer- Johnny Gargano

4. Best Character work, Face- Drew McIntyre

5. Best Character work, Heel- Ciampa

6. Next big thing- Karrion Kross

7. Favorite Promotion- AEW/NXT, interchangeable to me.

8. Favorite Wrestler- Adam Cole

9.  Best Promo- Cody's I need my Brother Promo

10. Favorite match- WARGAMES 2018

11. Favorite finishing move- 630 Senton Splash

12. Unpopular opinion- Can we get Charlotte out of the main event for just a bit?

13. Deserves a higher spot- Ricochet

As I am doing this, I realize just how far am I from Wrestling. I used to be a weekly viewer then I become a every other week guy and now I just read twitter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Im not disagreeing, but I'd like to see you expand this thought. 

I don't think Kenny Omega appeals to the main steam with his wrestling personality. In Japan it's different. He got over because of his matches and his embracement of the culture. I believe a lot of people who like him in AEW like him because of his skits in Being the Elite, rather than what they see on Dynamite. I believe he's been out shined by pretty much everyone he's worked with thus far in a serious capacity. Hangman, Jericho,Pac and Mox all looked like the bigger star. And since AEW has started; Darby, Cody and Sammy all look like bigger stars. If you didn't know who Kenny Omega was before AEW, I bet he's not one of your favorite stars. He would not get the match time in WWE, and they wouldn't allow him to do his goofy stuff, and Idt he'd be convincing delivering prepared lines.

The Young Bucks would be dead in the water. He's not their cup of tea by a long shot physically. I'll echo the same thing as I think about Kenny, I don't think they are two guys who would deliver prepared lines well, they get over more so with their youtube show rather than their on screen persona. And I think with The Bucks is that they're so much better in a more intimate setting, like the smaller crowds at ROH, where there's a more personal touch than a large crowd WWE show. They probably would be booked on the pre-show and forced to do Vince's sh**** comedy. I also think their move set would be watered down. 

* The Bucks and Kenny wouldn't fit in the corporate and social structure of the WWE. They'd have so much heat on them. They def need thicker skin to work there being shot down time after time.

Cody wouldn't flop, but I don't think he would ever crack the Main Event Ceiling. He doesn't look larger than life, his promo style is very old school, and again works better in an intimate setting. I don't think he has the star power as he did in ROH and how he does now. He'd be in a better position than he was before though.

Hangman would have a shot. But they wouldn't call him Hangman for one. I think Hangman works best as a character, rather than him being a generic wrestler. I think he would have the best chance to being in the ME scene, but I wouldn't call it a given. I think he would have to be one of the higher-ups' guys.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What Cody matches did you like in ROH and NJPW? The only ones I can remember were vs Okada and when Daniels won the belt. 

He worked WAY too slow for me. Slower than Orton ( the most overrated wrestler of all time) . 

NJPW coming back the 15th!

I didnt see any ROH Cody matches. But all with NJPW I enjoyed. Just thought he worked so well there as a heel. And the style fit him and his character. He was slower and more deliberate. But using that time to work over the crowd and heel antics. Very old school feel to a lot of it.

14 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Speaking of most overrated; I’m kinda bored so. 

Active Wrestlers only

1. Most under-appreciated- EC3

2. Most overrated - Adam Cole

3. Best in ring performer- Okada

4. Best Character work, Face- Naito

5. Best Character work, Heel- MJF

6. Next big thing- MJF

7. Favorite Promotion- NJPW

8. Favorite Wrestler- Okada

9.  Best Promo- Mandy Rose

10. Favorite match- Okada Sanada

11. Favorite finishing move- Codebreaker

12. Unpopular opinion- WWE wanting to dress FTR up like Dr Seuss characters would have been better than the trash act we see out of them now.

13. Deserves a higher spot- Luchasaurus

• Like 1

I only think the Elite would flop in the WWE because they'd feel like such an attraction when in the spotlight with anyone else. They'd be by far more over with the crowd than any WWE produced talent, imo. They'd have no one to equal what they bring to a live crowd in WWE, and I feel safe in saying that given how many too sweet or elite chants we've heard in WWE crowds, enough even for HHH to feel insecure about at the HOF speech. 

But I guess that's my opinion.

I do agree with Kenny's portrayal being weak if you weren't already aware of him but I think that's okay, too... because the AEW core fanbase is going to give Kenny the hero reaction regardless of his card position. In AEW's first year, we've seen almost everything lead to something (...except for the nightmare collective, we don't talk about the nightmare collective) and Kenny's time will come, and I think we can all rest assured he'll look like a star when it does. It's just kind of tough because he did the honors for Jericho and Moxley and it totally made sense to... but they're isn't the heel hot enough to program with Kenny. I mean, Kenny turning heel against Page might be eventually cool? I don't know, it's probably not even necessary. It's simply tough to make everyone look like a star in just a year. Maybe Kenny is the one to take the TNT title off of Cody.

19 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

1. Most under-appreciated-  Stu Grayson

Literally everything he does is spot on. 

2. Most overrated - AJ Styles

I just don't and have never gotten into anything he does. 

3. Best in ring performer- Will Ospreay/Pete Dunne

Every time I watch a match I go "Wow" multiple times. 

Every time I watch a match I go "That's why I got into wrestling" multiple times.

4. Best Character work, Face- Hangman Page

Kind of a tweener but man do I genuinely like the guy. I want him to win. I want to be his friend. 

5. Best Character work, Heel- MJF

I hate him and I love him for it. 

6. Next big thing- In my eyes... MJF As a mark.

I don't think you can actually be a "NBT" or a superstar as a heel but there's nobody who can do what he does better. I HATE him. I LOVE him. I think that's going to be the universal opinion. He'll be doing what he does at a high level for the next 30 years. 

Think Orange Cassidy, Jungle Boy, and Darby Allin are all going to be REALLY big with "casual" fans and future Champs. 

7. Favorite Promotion- AEW

8. Favorite Wrestler- Sammy G There's just something about this guy. He sells like nobody's business and I can tell he loves this stuff as much or more than I do. 

9.  Best Promo- MJF He makes me want to punch him and yet he's so good at it I just want to give him a knowing nod.

10. Favorite match- Firefly Funhouse 

11. Favorite finishing move- Don't have one.... Maybe...

One Winged Angel 

12. Unpopular opinion- Becky Lynch is utter garbage. Everything she does is terrible. EVERYTHING.

And/or 

Matt Riddle would be the best thing in wrestling as the douchey bro character if he wasn't actually such a douchey bro. 

13. Deserves a higher spot- Dolph Zigler Checks all the boxes. He's by far the best thing in WWE and should be the face of the company. 

Edited by wgbeethree

AEW thoughts. 

* strong first match for FTR. Very refreshing to see that type of tag match, and I hope it continues. Jericho and JR were certainly fans. Butcher and Blade is a very quality team. 

* The Bucks, FTR feud is a bit strange. I don’t dislike it , I’m interested in where they’re going. I hope we see a more prick-ish Bucks. They’re terrible faces.

* Loved the women’s match. I thought all 4 showcased their talents quite well. Even Statlander who I’m not the biggest fan ( I don’t care for the character . ) Shida having a lot of Nakamura influence makes me happy. Penelope is great and I’m glad she’s one. Her gear is realllyyyy distracting, like Charlotte Flair as well. 

* 6 man men’s match was good. I love the way they’re booking Hager. Excellent way to mask his weaknesses. Glad, Santana and Ortiz regained some coolness back. The beat down of Cassidy was alright, and I’m down for Jericho and Cassidy. 

* Mox and Cage had a solid segment . Now they’re getting physical so it’s heating up more. 

* Loved the Sammy , Hardy segment. That’s exactly the character I want Matt to play. Hope Sammy gets the pin over him.

* Main Event had the same issue with me. And I dont get it. 

I’m all for having guys like Marq Quen challenging for the TNT belt. I get it. However, guys get over in the US with more storylines than matches . When we don’t see Mar Quen for a few weeks, nobody is going to remember this match.  So what’s the point?  Seeing the belt every week is going to decrease it’s it’s prestige and the guys Cody is beating aren’t getting the bump. 

• Like 1

Not one of the better AEW shows. Butcher/Blade are a quality team like Rainmaker touched on. But zero wins. And theyve lost Bunny to Dustins tag partner. Dont see them doing anything but enhance other talent with such a major losing streak going. Was hoping they would gain some credibility as a heel team. Not happening.

6 man match was one of the most phony looking matches Ive seen. "I gotta run to this spot to take a move. Ok now I get up and run over here for one." Thats all I saw out of the majority of the match. It did not look like a fight was happening. It looked like guys running around, getting in position to take a move.

Ending of the show was terrible and I touched on that before. Inner Circle gets run roughshot over yet again. They need to dominate any spot all of them are out there to heel it up. They get beat up, tuck tail and stagger away looking all battered. Theyve gone from early NWO WCW, to NWO WWE.

And they have to quit showing Billy Gunn next to their active, pushed talent. I love some MJF. But it looked bad when hes out there and Billys making him look like a Mazda Miata parked next to Freightliner.

Rest of the show was decent enough and paced nicely.