Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

16 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

One other note from SS, I was disappointed to see Max Dupri back. Not because I dislike him, but because LA Knight is an elite gimmick, and that’s how he should be used (even if it is as a manager)

I agree 100%. The Dupri stuff is absolutely awful. Bring back LA Knight. I'm hopeful that HHH will eventually do that since he brought him to NXT.

21 minutes ago, Livewire said:

I agree 100%. The Dupri stuff is absolutely awful. Bring back LA Knight. I'm hopeful that HHH will eventually do that since he brought him to NXT.

I was originally hopeful, but seeing him pop back up in the promo (that I did actually laugh at) makes me think we wont get it. He was written off, they had the perfect opportunity, but didnt take it.

My only hope now is that its the long con. That he plays this out till they arent successful (most of these dont last too long) and then its alittle program where he goes to Trips, rips off the more bejazzled outfit they have given him, and is like "What in the Hell is all this Dupri crap you have me doing? Im G** D*** LA Knight!"

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 5:21 PM, beekay414 said:

Good lord, the JAS "appreciate us" is such a ripoff of "acknowledge me" and they call their fans the AEW Galaxy? LMAO c'mon man.

Chris Jericho doesn't have original ideas.  He hasn't since before the turn of the millennia.  He's more or less a fraternity trying to come up with their annual rush advertising campaign: "What widely-known, successful product gimmick can we knockoff this time?"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Well that wasn’t a great match for flair to go out on. But whatever that’s his choice. However Jarrett looked great. Kinda wish WWE would use him in ring

I honestly do think they are testing the waters with him as a on air Authority figure. Hes now SVP of Live Events right? So hes going to be there.

Triple H isnt likely to ever be back in a role where he takes any real bumps (atleast not any time soon) and it would probably be better that he focus' on ALL the other responsibilities he has. Steph is alittle too important now to be out there cutting promos with other talent. So JJ in a Sgt. Slaughter type role, where he can walk out there on TV, call someone a Slap Nuts, and lay down the law would be great. 

Now that hes sober, under contract, and looks that good in ring at 55, he can take and give a few bumps here and there.

Edited by StLunatic88

On 7/30/2022 at 10:51 PM, beekay414 said:

Best PPV of the year so far. I wonder what they do with Ronda now. I got a feeling she'll get a "suspension" for putting the ref in an armbar. The only issue I had with that fight was how weak it made the champ look. Though, it was probably scripted the best it possibly could've been without Ronda going over Liv. 

And sometimes you've got to sacrifice for the big earner to preserve their ego; this was "Hulk's not going over, so let's keep Hulk from pitching a fit" booking 101 for Ronda.  Liv initially got over, way back when, in a match where she got the everloving crap kicked out of her but she was willing to not back down from the woman (Shayna) who had just mowed through all the rest of the competition in the (Chamber) match like they were Oompa Loompas.  I think they knew Liv could survive this so long as she still had the belt come next Friday.

Ronda probably gets a Brock-style vacation till the next of the Big 4 (so probably Survivor Series), and this gives them some wiggle room so that if she can't control her Twitter fingers again and gets into social media dustups with fans again, she's primed to come back as a heel anyway.  As I'd brought up before, the money is in Ronda/Becky at Mania, but they need Ronda as the heel and Becky as the face, because heel Becky will eviscerate Ronda on the mic worse than Charlotte did.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 7:01 AM, StLunatic88 said:

Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber and Money in the Bank were all on Saturday as well.

Most PPVs, sorry "Premium Live Events", should be, they draw better live crowds that way, and since its all on the Network anyway, dont need to worry about the home crowd as much

Not to mention it establishes a precedent early on going into the fall season.  They want the numbers/views first and foremost to wave in front of NBC and their shareholders, but they'd also prefer live views to recall/tape views, because then they can point to those along with the real-time live social media engagement numbers for their advertisers.  And, frankly, they'll do better numbers going against primetime college football in the fall than they will against Sunday Night NFL Football (which was as much of a thing when PPV's were as much a thing in the 80's and 90's).

• Like 1

I said in my SS running thoughts that I wish they would split back up the Two top titles, but if they really want to run Reigns all the way to Mania (or atleast Royal Rumble) without taking a loss (which honestly I dont hate) then we need to get some other title as the most important championship for someone who is there on TV week in and week out. I would say they could have done it with the Intercontinental Championship due to its historical significance, but your current title holder didnt even make it on to you second biggest show of the year... so thats where that Title stands.

So what do you think is more likely for Hunter to do for the "Other" Top Title in the company;

1. De-Unify the WWE Championship
  2. Bring Back the World Heavyweight Championship
  3. Create another New Championship

I personally would like them to keep the Unified Championship, just refer to that one as the Universal WWE Championship, and then bring back the WHC. They own the best looking Title in all of Wrestling and its just collecting dust in a box in the back. You can have your other title with the giant logo on it to sell as a toy to kids, but just one classic looking title would be amazing to have

Edited by StLunatic88

On 7/30/2022 at 5:36 PM, Totty said:

They need to get rid of big time becks.  Bring it back to the man or some version of her bad assery.  

It's a bit of a toss-up.  They're not going to go back to "The Man," I'm fairly certain, unless she's just a permanent fixture on RAW (and it's looking like we're going to see more - righteously - brand-crossover going forward), because FOX ain't gonna go for that.  Big Time Becks is not all that different, gimmick-wise, from Hollywood Rock - minus that he's been saddled with some shoddy writing she's had to overcome and doesn't have a stable/Vince visibly backing her up.  But as a heel gimmick went, it was a classic riff and gave Becky the chance to show some character range - and frankly (again, something Fox wasn't going to go for) as long as Ronda was being showcased as the Baddest Woman on the Planet as a babyface, they weren't going to sign off on there being a similarly booked "badass" female babyface.  (And this, oh dear Young Bucks fans, is why alignments like babyface and heel still very much do matter in the industry today - and it's not just storyline, it affects all aspects of the product and its ability to turn revenue).  There was too much similarity between Becky and Ronda's real lives (recently having kids, etc) to have them working similar gimmicks on the same alignment even if they were on different brands.  For one, Vince and the writers haven't been creative enough to figure out how to book two separate storylines like that while keeping them each individual and unique, at least not for like 15 years, and they are in a different position than they were 15 years ago anyway, with regard to stewardship to stockholders and being a publicly traded company, that bleed-over from similar programming could have too much adverse affect on revenue.

Remains to be seen if Trips is still as, tragically, devoted to kitschy slogan monikers as Vince was (what ever will Michael Cole yell 10x  segment if those go by the wayside? lol), but Becky's got more than enough personality that she's shown on appearances on G4 stuffs as well as semi-WWE programming (UUDD, Fox Sports stuff, and the like) that what her gimmick is called is largely inconsequential.  She can be an effective cocky babyface who doesn't necessarily have to frame herself as a "badass" (and, if we're going off believability, outside of Ronda - who should be a part-timer - the only "badasses" on the women's roster are Shayna and Tamina - Rhea plays one well, but other than being big and athletic, she's no more actual "badass" than Kevin Nash was).  Honestly, I think Becky has more current ability to get over as a Shawn-type babyface than her husband does.

On 7/31/2022 at 7:16 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

Well that wasn’t a great match for flair to go out on.

Understatement of the year.  Sorry, the last 10 minutes of that match were uncomfortable to watch and I was convinced that at some point one of Jarrett, Lethal, or Andrade were going to end up having to give Ric CPR.  The finish itself was a mess - Flair didn't have enough juice to even properly "torque" the Figure-4 so it was like the worst version of a MIz F4 and Flair couldn't even really hold himself up so his shoulders were on the mat as long as the opponent's were.

30 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

I miss the Blackheart theme though.  That thing was a banger (especially live).  This new one is very random CAW-ish.

I'm just glad he's finally getting his main roster push. Dude is too good to waste away on the roster.