Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

35 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

They had him do the record-scratch bit a couple bars into his theme - but that was legitimately built into his outward/stated gimmick.

Yea I think just a true bad *** may be the only person who could get away with the no entrance theme or someone just with the kind of look that could make it work. I don't think ciampa has the stature and he already has done too much to use it or have it incorporated. God willing big e ever gets back, he could pull it off in a heel turn as anti new day. Totally dark and joyless 

1 hour ago, Dr LBC said:

Thing with AJ is, considering his age, as much as almost all of us love him for the past - what the company needs right now is to establish new stars who have 10+ year viability; AJ's 45 and i'm not sure I can see him doing this into his 50's.

I know that, but AJ is still so damn good, and the best wrestlers should have belts, or be competing for them, until they are no longer physically able to keep up with the young lions. Definitely need to create new stars, but that doesn't mean you can't reward your all-pro vets with a title run either. AJ and KO deserve title runs for constantly being great in the ring/the best at what they do, regardless of the crap the writers give them or how green the opponent is.
Titles should rotate from vet to new star. AJ wins it, then Theory beats him.  KO beats Theory, then Montez Ford beats KO. Sami Zayne beats Montez, then loses to Kross Etc.

Edited by Jeezla

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

I know that, but AJ is still so damn good, and the best wrestlers should have belts, or be competing for them, until they are no longer physically able to keep up with the young lions. Definitely need to create new stars, but that doesn't mean you can't reward your all-pro vets with a title run either. AJ and KO deserve title runs for constantly being great in the ring/the best at what they do, regardless of the crap the writers give them or how green the opponent is.
Titles should rotate from vet to new star. AJ wins it, then Theory beats him.  KO beats Theory, then Montez Ford beats KO. Sami Zayne beats Montez, then loses to Kross Etc.

to be fair, he did have the tag team belts for 4-5 months late last year.  I think AJ is perfect for the US.IC title.  The old Cena US challenge role(not the same set up obviously) where he just makes people look better win or lose

9 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

to be fair, he did have the tag team belts for 4-5 months late last year.  I think AJ is perfect for the US.IC title.  The old Cena US challenge role(not the same set up obviously) where he just makes people look better win or lose

Yea that was bad. The only time AJ should be in a tag team is Survivor Series or War Games (which will hopefully become a once-a-year main roster PPV with HHH at the helm) or as the 3rd man in a trios match. Let the man put on a 30 minute singles bout clinic at your PPV's. 

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Well, except what you just stated is an entirely subjective statement.  Whoever drives the most money into the coffers of the company should have the belts because the belts = the greatest exposure.  The most over and effective-drawing individual in the company right now (and it's not really disputable) has had one of the titles for over a year... AS HE SHOULD HAVE, particularly given there isn't anyone younger who has built his star high enough to make a case that he is more of a draw and more marketable than Roman.  "Best Wrestler" is a holistic term that isn't simply limited to work rate or in-ring ability, otherwise Randy Orton would be the one with the threat to Flair's record instead of Cena.

AJ shouldn't be moved from the upper card, but his use in the ME (i.e. the tippy-top of the card) should be extremely limited to instances wherein - with a very clear truncated (i.e. 3-4 month MAX) timespan set for it with the design that he's elevating a new star by putting them over for the title.

The reality is that the audience for pro wrestling as a whole has shrunk, notably, over the past 20 years.  AEW does a good job catering to the remaining fan base, but they've been extremely poor at growing it - argue it till you're blue in the face, but any of you know I'm right.  Part of that is a very vocal section of their fanbase who refuses to accept that any perspective but their own could even conceivably be correct.  No, "you're entitled to your opinion," instead it's "you're wrong/you just don't understand."  And there is a segment of fans who stopped watching when Vince became the only show in town because Vince went over to doing again what he did when he bought out most of the territories one-by-one.  WWF/E-truthers would have you believe that Vince was doing something and selling out venues that hadn't been done before - which isn't true.  Vince made PPV's a mainstay - that's about it - and then he sold that up the river as soon as he could personally benefit (whether it benefited his company or not).  But he also played up the "it isn't real" bit (Thanks, Kevin Dunn!).

And I'm not saying it should be real, but there's a clear line that can be drawn between Vince's initial trend toward murdering kayfabe and certain levels of work that goes on today where the quality-control in terms of making the moves look believable (much less proper selling) is a long-gone relic.

But ultimately, it goes to the same old adage that, no, Savage/Steamboat should not have been the main event of Wrestlemania 3 just because it was "the best worked match" on the card, nor should either one of them have had the title because they were the best technical wrestler on the card.  The main event and title did and always should have belonged to Hogan for that event because he did more in the lead-up to put butts in the seats and eyes in front of TV's.  And he certainly wasn't the best in-ring wrestler in the company at the time; far from it.

18 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

But ultimately, it goes to the same old adage that, no, Savage/Steamboat should not have been the main event of Wrestlemania 3 just because it was "the best worked match" on the card

Creative needs to figure out how to make the best workers also the most popular personalities. How do we make Savage and Steamboat as popular as Hogan outside of the ring? Instead of just having Hogan on lead vocals and bunch of dudes battling to be the best 2nd fiddle.
Star Power is star power, so you can't go wrong with Hogan in the Main Event, but maybe you could have made Macho Man around the same level of notoriety as Hogan? 

Edited by Jeezla

Honestly, AJ should be used to push Logan. Have him mentor him for a bit, Logan turns, and they fight at next years WM. It's a premier match for AJ, and Logan gets to work with and learn from one of the best to ever do it.

People are going to complain because Mox bled again last night but the reality of the situation is that was a technical match down until the end, and it was great. Mox can deliver Japanese strong style, technical, American brawling, and hardcore. He's so much more diverse as wrestler than people give him credit for.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Honestly, AJ should be used to push Logan. Have him mentor him for a bit, Logan turns, and they fight at next years WM. It's a premier match for AJ, and Logan gets to work with and learn from one of the best to ever do it.

People are going to complain because Mox bled again last night but the reality of the situation is that was a technical match down until the end, and it was great. Mox can deliver Japanese strong style, technical, American brawling, and hardcore. He's so much more diverse as wrestler than people give him credit for.

I don’t mind blood, but it used to feel special.

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I don’t mind blood, but it used to feel special.

Mox bleeds too much but my point was that fact that he bled doesn't make that match a hardcore match. People think he's a one trick pony and it's hilarious.