Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

5 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I feel like the thoughts on Kross (not saying from you) showing up at Smackdown now come off as a little bitter. Frankly, his main roster spot was ruined by McMahon and I think we can all agree to that. Never seen anyone complain about his NXT run and now suddenly everyone on Twitter makes him seem like he never belonged.

I know you're not calling me out but I've long been down on Kross. If this wasn't a 320 page thread I'd go find receipts saying I don't want him in AEW and what not. He's everything Bdon says Mox is except worse. Though he's bigger and has a much better head of hair.

38 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I know you're not calling me out but I've long been down on Kross. If this wasn't a 320 page thread I'd go find receipts saying I don't want him in AEW and what not. He's everything Bdon says Mox is except worse. Though he's bigger and has a much better head of hair.

If you're consistent about it I have no problem. But I remember all the photoshops "Killer Kross is ALL ELITE" and people being all about it, and now that he didn't end up in AEW (which honestly I didnt like the fit anyway) they're acting like he's some joke. If Gargano or Wyatt do the same (and alot of dirt sheets lean the way that that seems to be happening) then I wonder if they'll get the same treatment.

4 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

If you're consistent about it I have no problem. But I remember all the photoshops "Killer Kross is ALL ELITE" and people being all about it, and now that he didn't end up in AEW (which honestly I didnt like the fit anyway) they're acting like he's some joke. If Gargano or Wyatt do the same (and alot of dirt sheets lean the way that that seems to be happening) then I wonder if they'll get the same treatment.

I'm almost as anti-Wyatt as I am anti-Kross. Kross isn't a joke, he's just boring. He definitely has a place as a midcarder somewhere. I try to be consistent about everything. I think Cody is an egomaniac but I also think he's a great talent who hurt AEW by leaving. I was pissed when AEW brought in Claudio.

32 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I'm almost as anti-Wyatt as I am anti-Kross. Kross isn't a joke, he's just boring. He definitely has a place as a midcarder somewhere. I try to be consistent about everything. I think Cody is an egomaniac but I also think he's a great talent who hurt AEW by leaving. I was pissed when AEW brought in Claudio.

Big Claudio fan. Still don't understand the fit.

On 8/5/2022 at 10:15 AM, Dr LBC said:

Yeah, but that's not happening in the modern era.  Even for casuals, walkout music (ironically because of pro wrestling) is expected for any real or simulated combat sport.  Boxing, UFC, hell... even competitive eaters have walkout music nowadays.

For sure, it was certainly contextual. He had nuclear heat in one of the greatest programs in wrestling history until last man standing match 1 trillion. Wouldn't work without the boos from the crowd although I'm sure if they wanted to, they'd just plug them in anyway. 

Always a Ciampa fan, though. Long haired Ciampa was a guest trainer when I was at the Spike Dudley school and was beyond cool to learn from even then. Mike Bennett, too.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Probably why they stuck him in ROH

Feels like Tony has all but said that he originally brought Claudio in to be one of the Headliners for the new direction of ROH. 

His involvement with BCC was strictly a reaction to losing Danielson. 

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Feels like Tony has all but said that he originally brought Claudio in to be one of the Headliners for the new direction of ROH. 

His involvement with BCC was strictly a reaction to losing Danielson. 

he's the perfect bridge guy. Credible enough to showcase on national TV from time to time and has enough of a cult following to attract eyes to ROH. He is also a great worker for some of the greener ROH talent. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a semi-coach role backstage as well. 

Curious if HHH will allow/encourage KO to use package piledriver.
I like that it looks like cowardly heel Owens is officially dead, and now he'll hopefully just be vicious heel KO like he was in NXT.
Did not expect that Dexter Lumis/Sam Shaw cameo. Nice to see him back and wondering how they play out the lead up to his official wrestling debut. Not sure I want AJ involved with him, because AJ should be in the main event scene or at least secondary title scene, so hopefully that wasn't the first seed of a future rivalry.

Edited by Jeezla

Well we certainly arent in the Paint by Numbers WWE anymore

Sure, its Wrestling, so everything is a riff off of something old, but not a chance we get any of this with Vince. Atleast not the most recent/PG version.

He would never have the new WOMENS faction debut on the PPV. Very Unlikely we get someone out of no where interrupting the next PPV Main Event's first promo, especially taking out the #1 Contender. And I can not immagine him doing the Lomis thing last night, with no one on the broadcast highlighting what is happening.

At the minimum, its fun to watch because it feels new and exciting. Lets hope it continues.

20 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

For sure, it was certainly contextual. He had nuclear heat in one of the greatest programs in wrestling history until last man standing match 1 trillion. Wouldn't work without the boos from the crowd although I'm sure if they wanted to, they'd just plug them in anyway. 

Always a Ciampa fan, though. Long haired Ciampa was a guest trainer when I was at the Spike Dudley school and was beyond cool to learn from even then. Mike Bennett, too.

Yep.  I don't know the promoter that coined the reference, because I believe it was World Class Championship Wrestling in Dallas with the Von Erichs that was the first to actually make entrance music in wrestling "a thing" (and even then it was something reserved for upper-carders - most specifically the Von Erich boys and the Freebirds), but I remember Kevin (Sullivan) saying that it was a "territory thing" where sometimes you just let the heel's entrance theme be the seas of boo's and jeers he gets walking to the ring.  Where I can see that being an issue in any TV programming nowadays though, unless your TV truck guys are on their game in managing the tape-delay, is you're leaving space for a lot of stuff that goes well beyond TV-13/TV-PG language that advertisers (and by-effect shareholders) are not going to view favorably.

10 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Curious if HHH will allow/encourage KO to use package piledriver.
I like that it looks like cowardly heel Owens is officially dead, and now he'll hopefully just be vicious heel KO like he was in NXT.
Did not expect that Dexter Lumis/Sam Shaw cameo. Nice to see him back and wondering how they play out the lead up to his official wrestling debut. Not sure I want AJ involved with him, because AJ should be in the main event scene or at least secondary title scene, so hopefully that wasn't the first seed of a future rivalry.

Thing with AJ is, considering his age, as much as almost all of us love him for the past - what the company needs right now is to establish new stars who have 10+ year viability; AJ's 45 and i'm not sure I can see him doing this into his 50's.  In a way, I kind of have always viewed AJ like an older (albeit industry-forgiving in such ways) Philip Rivers... and it's not just the accent.  Around the time his daughter hits her teens, he'll probably retire or go part-time, at best.  And unfortunately, AJ is such a good worker and can make pretty much anyone look good in the ring, his likely future is going to be putting over the big to-be guys in the organization, because he's still always going to maintain the popularity with the fans that he won't lose heat or pop - and similarly he's likely not doing more than maybe 1 or 2 more heel runs for his career, I'd bet.

Great heels help establish great babyfaces and help young babyfaces get over.  That's easily part of what we're seeing with re-directing KO's character, and conversely, the best way to get young heels over is with beloved veteran babyfaces.

My reason for hoping they don't give a long run to any AJ/Lumis feud is because Sam doesn't really promo as Lumis (it's a core component of his character) and AJ's promos when carrying the entirety of a feud and not having anyone to volley off of (especially as a face)... well, they grate and get stale pretty quick.  What could be a AJ and Gargano but one of them would have to be the heel and even if he was booked as a heel, Johnny's gonna get face pops from crowds for at least the first 3-4 months of his career even if storyline dictates that he injures a fan-favorite.

That's the thing, a lot of the NXT "bring-backs" are folks I can see being brought in a babyfaces, because they're going to be received as such regardless.  That's kind of why I feel like Hunter's opening moves were with the heels who had effectively been heels the last time they'd been on WWE TV (Kross and Kai - and Io had darker personality, had previously been a heel, and wasn't dependent on her promos to get her over as a heel to begin with).  But Bronson Reed, if and when he's back, is gonna be booked as a face.  Dijakovic, when he gets his character change away from "T-Bar," will probably get a babyface booking to start, because it does the most to just shift any and all focus as far away from his old, crappy gimmick.

I'll be honest, I don't expect Roderick Strong to be brought up.  He'll probably get a Rumble spot or two, but I don't think he actually wants to come up just to come up.  Dude's always been a Florida boy, plus his wife works for the other company - also based in Florida - and their kid is still pretty young.  He's someone I can see Shawn as having latched onto as one of the in-ring producers and coaches and doing everything he can to keep Roddy in Tampa/NXT.  I also won't be surprised if Roddy doesn't become their new Regal (in whatever capacity Shawn isn't) - in the sense of being the guy with the Rolodex full of independent promoters who has an eye for talent that they can send around to scout and recruit.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Timothy Thatcher brought back specifically because he can work easily as a heel.

And while I'm not the biggest fan of "authority figure" characters - particularly when you know who is actually calling the shots - rather than ever seeing Brand Commissioners ever again, I wouldn't be shocked to see someone introduced as a "Head/(on-screen)VP of the Women's Division to both give the division its own sense of individuality and specialness - a role not unlike that of Gail Kim's with Impact (which is part of the reason I believe this, since I could definitely see JJ bringing it up to Hunter).  Now, whether that individual would be Paige, I'm 50/50 on because Hunter, while known to be a huge fan and support of Paige, also couldn't keep his damn smug mouth shut and made some comments I could see putting her off wanting a working relationship with him.  But it's a role that Beth could definitely do, same with Molly Holly as she's working as a producer backstage anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr LBC said:

Yep.  I don't know the promoter that coined the reference, because I believe it was World Class Championship Wrestling in Dallas with the Von Erichs that was the first to actually make entrance music in wrestling "a thing" (and even then it was something reserved for upper-carders - most specifically the Von Erich boys and the Freebirds), but I remember Kevin (Sullivan) saying that it was a "territory thing" where sometimes you just let the heel's entrance theme be the seas of boo's and jeers he gets walking to the ring.  Where I can see that being an issue in any TV programming nowadays though, unless your TV truck guys are on their game in managing the tape-delay, is you're leaving space for a lot of stuff that goes well beyond TV-13/TV-PG language that advertisers (and by-effect shareholders) are not going to view favorably.

didn't they have ziggler not have entrance theme for a couple months when they had him doing the anti anything corporate stuff

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

didn't they have ziggler not have entrance theme for a couple months when they had him doing the anti anything corporate stuff

They had him do the record-scratch bit a couple bars into his theme - but that was legitimately built into his outward/stated gimmick.