Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

37 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Is there any chance WWE can get away with doing Rock v Roman at mania. But Roman doesn’t put the belt on the line, just the “head of the table” moniker. 

Could it take some heat of Rock if the fans know it’s not for the title?

No chance.

WWE definitely botched this.  I know hindsight is 20/20 but looking at what we know now I would have did Rock vs Roman last year at WM in Hollywood and have Roman vs Cody this year for the title.  Cody obviously wouldnt have won the Rumble last year for that to happen.   WWE shot themselves in the foot and I'm disgusted. 

Anthem fired Scott D'Amore and announced Anthony Cicione as new president of TNA.

https://tnawrestling.com/2024/02/07/anthony-cicione-named-president-of-tna-wrestling/

WTF is going on in the world of wrestling? The last 2 months were crazy. NJPW fired Ohbari and announced Tanahashi to be their new president. Then we get the troubles of All Japan. We got the Jericho allegations. Then NJPW announced, that Okada is leaving the company. Than we got the scandal of Vince/Laurinaitis/WWE. Then you got the drama around the booking of Rock vs. Reigns for WrestleMania. Than Stardom fires Rossy Ogawa, who worked in the backgrounds on the creation of a new promotion, potentially poaching talents from Stardom, so nobody knows who is staying and leaving after this month. Then we got the sad news of the passing of Asahi from AWG. And now TNA fires Scott D'Amore.

Wild. That's just wild.

At this moment, there were no real reasons given by Anthem. To me it makes no sense to fire him. He built TNA back up and represented it like nobody else. The booking was good. There seems to be no reason for this move. So i have know clue, what is happening there within Anthem, that lead them to this decision. Those are crazy times we're living in.

Edited by Edge

On 2/6/2024 at 8:41 PM, Dr LBC said:

I don't know that they'll go fully the route that Mark Henry suggested, but like I said there are elements of Bubba's suggestion and Henry's suggestion that could be crafted together to work.

To Bubba's point, they need have Cody (not Rock... Cody) come out and say what Rock whispered to him and specifically WHY he elected to give his Main Event spot to Rocky.  It needs to be a crux of the presser, to be honest.  And you kick it off by Rock saying, just after he and Roman have been set down at opposite ends of the table for the press conference, that before they get started he needs to acknowledge someone.  And then Roman gets the youknowwhat-eating smirk on his face and Heyman gets his u sual smarmy look... and Rock says that he needs to acknowledge Cody Rhodes without whom he wouldn't be here.

Then you bring Cody back out at Rock's behest.  And we get Dwayne (not the Rock character) asking Cody to tell everyone what he said to him when Cody sought out his counsel.  And Cody goes on to explain how Dwayne expressed that he (Cody) of all people would understand when there were things that were bigger than championships and that like the intro to his entrance music says, "Wrestling has more than one Royal Family."  And he and Dwayne talked about what his father and the High Chief Peter Maivia might have talked about if there was someone in either's family that got to a point that servicing their ego with success started dragging the family name through the mud.  And that until someone from within the family knocked Roman from his high horse, he was going to keep exploiting the rest of the family to keep him on top, even if that meant fighting his fight for him to put a thumb on the scales.  If Cody is going to get a righteous shot at finishing his story "and not get cheated again," the old dog needs to take the young pup down a peg in Tribal Combat.

Now, Bubba has been flat out adamant (as I've been for a while) that the most appropriate place for Cody to finish the story is MSG.  Yes, they're not going to get the size of the gate they would at a JerryWorld or Levi's Stadium, but presently the UFC holds the MSG all-time gate record (so TKO knows how to get that), and it would be (ironically) a backhanded shot across the bow of Vince because of how much Vince used to value the Garden in his prime, if Hunter and TKO beat the record that beat his... without him.  That said, the way they went about executing this with the Smackdown segment and the reception it's received may have poisoned that well in that fans have convinced themselves - whether it's the case or not - that Rock swung his power around and cheated Cody out of what was rightfully his and we may have reached the point where perception is treated as reality, even if it isn't.

In the Bobby/Henry solution, Roman faces Rock in Tribal Combat (which should help protect Roky some anyway, similar to how Stone Cold was protected against KO with the stipulation in that "match") and Roman does what Roman does: Solo interference, possibly even (since he is a free agent now) a debuting Jacob Fatu getting involved, and Rock loses. Roman poses, Cody's music hits - Cody doesn't pause for the "Whooooa" but makes a beeline for the ring and get right up in Roman's face.  HHH's ends credits spot starts with a shot of the face-to-face, when rolls out of the ring and snatches a hot mic to call Roman a stupid SOB, because he may have cheated to beat "The Rock," but one of us is an employee and the other is Dwayne Johnson of the Board of Directors, and you can't cheat the Board.  And he announces the MSG event (they've got multiple dates in 2024 dog-eared right now but haven't committed to any as of posting) and on that night, Roman is going to realize just how much he just stepped in it, "Uce."

Cut some time (and plenty of hype) to the MSG event (and Roman will have ducked out on having defended his title since Mania, because there's already a history of that, so it's an easy sell, except this time it's constantly talked about by commentary).  And credit to Mark Henry because this part is sheer brilliance, it gets announced just prior to the event that the whole Anoa'i (wrestling) family will be present to - and my bit I'd add to this, you have Roman be the one to assemble them saying he's going to show Cody that there is only "one Royal Family... and he's the head of it."  Except, one by one (not as noticeably at first; maybe just Jey and Ava at first in Cody shirts) it's clear that to an individual, they're on the side of Cody; Roman angered the Elders.  You have them all seated on either the hard-cam side (which is usually tarped off) or at the top of the ramp in folding chairs, Solo and both Uso's included.  And when Roman tries to call down Jimmy to help on his behalf, Rikishi puts his hand on Jimmy's shoulder and pulls him back down.  Same for when Jey tries to get up seeing Jimmy start to get up; Kish gives him that Dad look and tells him to "Sit his expletive back down."

Finally you get to Solo, sitting seething, watching as the tide has swung out of Roman's favor and Cody's already gotten a tight near-fall off a CrossRhodes.  Rikishi side-eyes him, but Solo's not going to be stopped.  Rocky get up and gets in Solo's face until... Afa and Sika both stand up, turn around, and give Solo looks that are part, "I was part of bringing you into this world, boy, I can still take you out," and "If you actually want to be that Tribal Chief apparent, don't you dare cross us, tama."  Then Roman, watching this from the ring, realizes no one is coming to help him... turns around into a Disaster Kick or Cody Cutter, then multiple CrossRhodes and gets stuck for the pin.  And you close the show with the belt being put around Cody's waist, while the photo of Dusty at the Garden with the WWWF title belt that was taken back from him on the Titantron.  And your closing shot is Cody (I'd have him holding his daughter as well as the belt) staring up at that photo that he reference that first RAW after Mania promo he did after arriving.

You are good lol. I love it.

Now the Rock says this press conference is going to be huge and get ready for the long game. I like that he said that. The thing about this society is people are impatient. They want stuff now. And we cant always put it on ADHD as to the reason why attention spans are so short. Its the lack of patience. Patience have to be practiced its not something you wake up and have. With wrestling especially under the Vince era everything was quick. HHH is different. He takes the long road to his storytelling. There is no such thing as too long as long as the story is compelling and have twists and turns. 

I think the bloodline story has been on fumes lately and now the Rock comes in to get it back to being compelling again. People jumped on the Cody story bc it was more fresh. I was disappointed he didnt win last year. I thought no way he gets any other title except for the belt Roman has. I was shocked he won the tag titles with Jey. Then I was even more shocked they lost it as quick as they won it. A friendly reminder, Cody doesnt have to win the Rumble next year to face Roman in the main event at Mania for the title. If he can politic his way to get Jey to Raw he can politic his way to Smackdown. Heck the Rock can politic him to Smackdown saying he owes him a favor for getting his spot this year. The Rumble winner more than likely will be Punk (he comes back healthy before then) and so he will be going after the belt Seth has. That clears the path for Cody v Roman at Mania next year if Roman still has the title. Or the draft happens and Roman can get drafted to Raw with Cody or Cody gets drafted to Smackdown with Roman. So my point is people that are saying no way Cody can win the Rumble three years in a row for another shot at Roman. Heck Cody could win the MITB this year and challenge Roman next year at Mania locked at loaded. So there are plenty of avenues for Cody v Roman for the title next year at Mania if thats the road to continue to go down. But I dont think it gets that far. I think Cody will win at MSG this year. Its significant. The WWE dropped the ball with not letting Zelina Vega beat Rhea for the title in her home in Puerto Rico where it meant the world to her. So the WWE wont drop the ball in allowing Cody to finish his story at MSG where it would mean the world to him. 

Also too if anyone is upset bc they thought they was going to see Cody v Roman at Mania this year then Ill say if you are going to the event just be happy you are going to the event. I went to Mania 30 when Daniel Bryan won the title in the triple threat. I saw Taker lose his streak to Lesnar. To me I was just happy to take in the atmosphere. The matches wasnt all that important to me. The results wasnt all that important to me. Just being at Mania and understanding the hype was real surrounding the event was important to me. So people getting upset saying they are going to sell their tickets if they dont get Cody v Roman then Ill just say just be grateful you are going. So many people who has never been but want to go would love to just go. Plus its not like Roman will be facing an old broken down Hogan. He will be facing the Rock. Still popular, his music hits you get hyped. Its still a show and plus the bloodline story is still there. 

Ok so here is my thoughts on the press conference:

They set up Rhea v Becky. That will make the Elimination Chamber already predictable I just want to see two great matches but we know Becky is going to win the chamber and Rhea is going to retain her title.

We dont specifically know whats going to happen with Bianca but we do know she will find a way to get on the Mania card. My thinking is she need to link up with Jade and challenge Kiari and Auska for the women tag titles. Thats really the only logical team that could take them away from Kiari and Auska. Then Bianca and Jade can go nearly a year dominating as the tag champs until Jade pulls a Shana on Ronda and that is screw over Bianca costing them the tag titles and setting up a feud that leads them to fight at Wrestlemania 41 next year. Of course Jade reason could be she wanted to get close to Bianca, study her every move, know everything about her that makes her the EST bc she knows who that B**** is she is that B**** and will show Bianca that on the biggest stage.

Now as for the Roman and Cody stuff. I think its all sealed that Seth will fight Drew for the World title. I do think Drew will win and finally get his moment in front of the fans but it will shortly be realized as Priest comes running down to cash the briefcase and beat Drew to become the new World Champ. Thats how I think that will go.

Roman v Cody will happen I just dont understand this Rock situation. The press conference made it worse. I thought the Rock was challenging Roman to determine who is the true head of the table. To help Cody take everything away from Roman. But this spin on Rock doing it for family purposes to show that their family is the royal family in wrestling and not Cody family. So will Rock v Roman still happen? Rock obviously is on Roman side so thats going to make it even harder for Cody to win. No doubt Cody will win bc if he loses then all that finishing his story goes down the drain. So Roman has Solo, Jimmy, and now the Rock in his corner. Just confusing especially since Cody said on Smackdown that he will face Roman but not at Wrestlemania. That was his words. Confusing but we have a few months until Mania to make more sense of it all.

But outside of this Roman, Cody, and Rock situation everything else made clear for me at least from this press conference.

3 minutes ago, Mox said:

Makes last week look ridiculous but great call to pivot. Atta boy Trips

Made the Rock seem stupid by how things went down. So basically Cody saying on Smackdown "not at Wrestlemania" means nothing anymore. People just dont forget.

And whats up with them making the belt Seth has seem useless? If they was smart they would have Seth v Roman. Stipulation is if Seth wins Roman have to vacate his title. Have Seth win and endorse his title saying he has the one that he sweat, bleed, and had suffered injuries defending. Then tell Roman if he want his title back he will have to work for it in a tournament against the best. Make a tournament similar to AEW continental classic. Where its top guys from Raw and Smackdown with no interference so Roman has to go at it alone. Whomever wins is crown the new champ. That way both belts will be on equal ground. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

Made the Rock seem stupid by how things went down. So basically Cody saying on Smackdown "not at Wrestlemania" means nothing anymore. People just dont forget.

He changed his mind because The Rock got disrespectful and Cody Rhodes realized The Rock (in kayfabe) would just be more of the same, another but even more powerful Tribal Chief.

Whether they pivoted or this was the plan all along, either way I thought they pulled it off.  The only way to save this was always going to require The Rock to be a bad guy, which I didn't think he would be willing to.  But yeah, safe to say I was wrong about that.

And if you want to turn Roman Reigns to a face in the future, Rock is the perfect guy for him to do it against.  Because The Rock is the one man who can make Reigns feel small, he's the only one who can usurp him as Tribal Chief and get the likes of Heyman and Solo to answer to him.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

He changed his mind because The Rock got disrespectful and Cody Rhodes realized The Rock (in kayfabe) would just be more of the same, another but even more powerful Tribal Chief.

Whether they pivoted or this was the plan all along, either way I thought they pulled it off.  The only way to save this was always going to require The Rock to be a bad guy, which I didn't think he would be willing to.  But yeah, safe to say I was wrong about that.

And if you want to turn Roman Reigns to a face in the future, Rock is the perfect guy for him to do it against.  Because The Rock is the one man who can make Reigns feel small, he's the only one who can usurp him as Tribal Chief and get the likes of Heyman and Solo to answer to him.  

That all make sense. I’m here for the ride to see how it all plays out. 

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Ok so here is my thoughts on the press conference:

They set up Rhea v Becky. That will make the Elimination Chamber already predictable I just want to see two great matches but we know Becky is going to win the chamber and Rhea is going to retain her title.

We dont specifically know whats going to happen with Bianca but we do know she will find a way to get on the Mania card. My thinking is she need to link up with Jade and challenge Kiari and Auska for the women tag titles. Thats really the only logical team that could take them away from Kiari and Auska. Then Bianca and Jade can go nearly a year dominating as the tag champs until Jade pulls a Shana on Ronda and that is screw over Bianca costing them the tag titles and setting up a feud that leads them to fight at Wrestlemania 41 next year. Of course Jade reason could be she wanted to get close to Bianca, study her every move, know everything about her that makes her the EST bc she knows who that B**** is she is that B**** and will show Bianca that on the biggest stage.

Now as for the Roman and Cody stuff. I think its all sealed that Seth will fight Drew for the World title. I do think Drew will win and finally get his moment in front of the fans but it will shortly be realized as Priest comes running down to cash the briefcase and beat Drew to become the new World Champ. Thats how I think that will go.

Roman v Cody will happen I just dont understand this Rock situation. The press conference made it worse. I thought the Rock was challenging Roman to determine who is the true head of the table. To help Cody take everything away from Roman. But this spin on Rock doing it for family purposes to show that their family is the royal family in wrestling and not Cody family. So will Rock v Roman still happen? Rock obviously is on Roman side so thats going to make it even harder for Cody to win. No doubt Cody will win bc if he loses then all that finishing his story goes down the drain. So Roman has Solo, Jimmy, and now the Rock in his corner. Just confusing especially since Cody said on Smackdown that he will face Roman but not at Wrestlemania. That was his words. Confusing but we have a few months until Mania to make more sense of it all.

But outside of this Roman, Cody, and Rock situation everything else made clear for me at least from this press conference.

Bianca and Jade feel just poorly cobbled together - like Sasha and Naomi initially did.  Hunter also takes tag team wrestling more seriously than Vince ever did, and even in spite of the majority WM tradition, Jade absolutely shouldn't be losing her first non-battle-royal match.  I could see them have her and Bianca have some last minute heat started up with Nia after Nia does the job to Rhea in Perth.  Gives either of them a chance for a Mania moment with an impressive feat of strength spot.  Honestly, I wouldn't even be totally shocked to see the two of them booked against one another.  Jade is a better heel than babyface and greener talent tend to start out as heels anyway, because it's typically easier to get over as a heel.  Also, Bianca doesn't really get hurt by taking a loss, while if they do decide to stick with tradition and basically pull and AJ/Jericho redux, Jade taking a loss isn't quite so bad if it's to a former multi-time champion.

If the women's Chamber is predictable, it's not the worst thing in the world, because the depth of women healthy enough to go in the Chamber with Becky that aren't already either a champion or booked on the card already isn't that great.  If Zoey doesn't go over Liv (which is entirely possible because Liv has the just-returned momentum), Stark/Baszler is the best established team to take the belt off Damage Control if them dropping the titles is the direction they want to go.  We'll probably see Piper in the EC because they need a big bruiser and Rhea/Nia is already booked.  Ivy Nile's a decent possibility to be in there too, but I'm not counting on it.  I'd wager we see at least 2 from Smackdown, too - which is probably where Bianca comes in (I would book her "desperate to get herself booked on Mania" the same way Seth was booked two years ago and let that be Jade as the "surprise" opponent) and probably Tiffany Stratton (if they go 3 Raw and 3 Smackdown, the 3rd SD lady should be Naomi) for a sake of some comedic element in the match, but also to be able to showcase she can actually work and isn't just a Barbie gimmick.  Take it down to the last two being Becky and Bianca and Becky gets the better of her, leaving Bianca still despondant at how to get her spot at Mania.

I'm not sure how much heat a Priest cash-in actually has right now; dude's get zero reaction.  And he and Finn are going to be defending the tag titles (odds-on favorite opponent has to be DIY or Awesome Truth).  And if that match doesn't open N1, I'm not confident we see N1 end with a Priest cash-in.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see Priest ultimately be a failed cash-in and that that along with his still having a soft spot for Truth, could be the reason for his ouster from the stable.  If we (safely) assume that Cody beats Roman and goes to Smackdown, with Seth and Punk injured, they're running out of viable babyface contenders to a Heavyweight champion Drew (yes, there's Sami but past that, not a lot).  A pseudo-double-turn could be the answer; have Priest cash in on the RAW after Mania, but it be thwarted by Judgment Day backstabbing Priest and allying with Drew.  Drew doesn't need a stable, but if/when Punk comes back in the fall, if Drew does have a stable you've got 2-3 guys he'd have to run through to get to Drew (and one of those is a match house show folks have already seen so it's an easy get-back-on-the-horse which is Dom and another is a dream match for a lot of folks that being Punk/Finn).

Also, good logic says that if you're going to weaken two or more of your factions at Mania (as looks to be on the docket with Bayley and Cody strong hopefuls to win), you should strengthen one of the others ASAP and the night after Mania RAW would be perfect for that.  Plus, if Priest get swerved and screwed over, he's able to come back with sympathy but still as something of a badass babyface.  But I've had a feeling for a while that ever since he was saddled with the lousy "Senor Money in the Bank" that his cash-in was destined to be lackluster.