NFL Lead Investigator Recommended No Suspension For Elliot

Broncofan

Just now, IDOG_det said:

Could be both, although based on the NFL's statement, it seems more like the former. They reviewed this with four (I assume independent) advisors and reviewed a seemingly substantial amount of evidence. It wouldn't be the first time the US justice system failed a victim by not properly reviewing enough evidence.

Or it's neither. Criminal cases have a higher standard.

Just now, BroncoSojia said:

How did the NFLPA let something like this happen? Suspending someone for a crime they weren't even charged for? This is unbelievable.

That is not at all unusual.

It isn't remotely a crime if I go around praising my company's competitors to customers, but I sure will be fired fast.

Most players deserve much worse than they get.

30 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Literally all the NFL had to do a few years ago was set a precedent by choosing to defer to the courts. They could've easily deflected any criticisms from fans about playing alleged perpetrators towards the court system.

THIS^

And it SHOULD be on the legal justice system to get the attention if/when people feel justice wasn't served. Goodell taking this upon himself was the dumbest move possible

The woman admitted via text that she fabricated these allegations as an extortion attempt against Zeke. 

If this suspension is based solely on that "incident", this is absolutely an asinine decision by the league. If all it takes are mere allegations to get a player suspended, what's to stop some rival fan or anyone else with a grudge to bring allegations against someone? 

I'm all for taking a stand against domestic violence, but when other players have actual proof against them and are handed a lesser punishment, it wreaks of hypocrisy and some underhanded tactics by Mara. We all know he and Goodell are buddy-buddy. I'm done with the NFL if this suspension stands.

8 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Different standards of proof necessary. Criminal needs beyond reasonable doubt. The NFL uses a Civil standard of preponderance of the evidence

So we should be seeing a civil suit then?  Would seem the logical next step if criminal court isn't going to happen.

7 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

How did the NFLPA let something like this happen? Suspending someone for a crime they weren't even charged for? This is unbelievable.

By negotiating a CBA that allows the NFL to suspend players that aren't charged with a crime.

Just now, mse326 said:

Different standards of proof necessary. Criminal needs beyond reasonable doubt. The NFL uses a Civil standard of preponderance of the evidence

I get that.. but it's hard to imagine a dozen witnesses, a thousands texts, and multiple photos somehow not meeting the threshold for reasonable doubt while at the same time the NFL figured they had enough to suspend a budding star for 6 games. 

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

So we should be seeing a civil suit then?  Would seem the logical next step if criminal court isn't going to happen.

1. If she wants to put herself through that. And I know you aren't going to like this part but there are things that can come out in the discovery process that neither the police nor the NFL are capable of getting that would change where all the evidence lies on the spectrum.

2. It may not be worth the money. Despite what people think you can only get so much in punitive damages and it is normally based on how much higher than compensatory damages are. If there really aren't any compensatory damages you aren't going to get that much.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I get that.. but it's hard to imagine a dozen witnesses, a thousands texts, and multiple photos somehow not meeting the threshold for reasonable doubt while at the same time the NFL figured they had enough to suspend a budding star for 6 games. 

How? It's very easy to see how inconsistencies can prevent it from being possible to say beyond reasonable doubt while at the same time still be enough to say by a preponderance of the evidence which only means more likely than not.

That's how OJ gets acquitted but still loses a multimillion dollar law suit.

22 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

By negotiating a CBA that allows the NFL to suspend players that aren't charged with a crime.

27 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

That is not at all unusual.

It isn't remotely a crime if I go around praising my company's competitors to customers, but I sure will be fired fast.

Most players deserve much worse than they get.

Of course but their has to be some consistency right? Tramaine Brock was just cleared of domestic violence charges and teams are lining up to sign him. Is the NFL going to spend a year investigating his case like they did Zeke's?

Perplexing to see anyone speaking on the case with any confidence whatsoever, if you ask me. I assume not every piece of information involved is available to the public. Obviously the NFL's inconsistencies are just absurd at this point, but the impassioned pleas for Zeke's innocence are weird and unnecessary.

3 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Of course but their has to be some consistency right? Tramaine Brock was just cleared of domestic violence charges and teams are lining up to sign him. Is the NFL going to spend a year investigating his case like they did Zeke's?

Was Brock employed by an NFL team during his incidents? That makes all the difference in the world.

Archived