2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I’m just saying the WRs for the last ten years have been good in the NFL but not one QB.

If that doesn’t scream system QB to you I don’t know what does.

Alabama has never had a QB like Tua before. They've not recruited QBs in the past like Tua. He's the first QB they've had with a first round draft picks skill set. 

The argument is boring. What other QBs has Alabama had that rival Tua? McCarron had no arm talent and was drafted late. Croyle (2005) drafted 3rd had no arm talent either. What other QBs has Alabama had that received a draftable grade not counting the guy currently at OU.

At this point in time i wouldn’t take Tua. The injury scares me, because his mobility is a big part of his game. Plus if the Raiders took him with their second pick that would mean bypassing either a WR or a defensive player. I don’t think the Raiders can pass on either at this point especially because they don’t have a second. I’m sure Gruden will be very tempted but hopefully he can be swayed into building the team. I’d rather have a strong team and then trade up for a guy like KC, HOU and Bal did. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

At this point in time i wouldn’t take Tua. The injury scares me, because his mobility is a big part of his game. Plus if the Raiders took him with their second pick that would mean bypassing either a WR or a defensive player. I don’t think the Raiders can pass on either at this point especially because they don’t have a second. I’m sure Gruden will be very tempted but hopefully he can be swayed into building the team. I’d rather have a strong team and then trade up for a guy like KC, HOU and Bal did. 

My only issue with these type post is they don't account for free agency. In which, I imagine the Raiders will look to inject some needed defensive talent. So hard to gauge until you know what needs are addressed in FA.

On Tua, medicals will need to check out. But doctors say he'll make a 100% recovery and the hip won't be an issue. The scare was him having happen whatever medical jargon happened to Bo Jackson. In which his doctors have said he has a better chance of getting mauled by a bear.

Last thought. I only bring Tua up as an example before every starts attaching him to my name. I am 100% on board for WR/DT in the draft currently. But you can argue that if said QB was healthy and an option for the team in the draft that it would be a tempting upgrade over a guy like Carr. It has franchise altering potential when you're talking about QBs. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Alabama has never had a QB like Tua before. They've not recruited QBs in the past like Tua. He's the first QB they've had with a first round draft picks skill set. 

The argument is boring. What other QBs has Alabama had that rival Tua? McCarron had no arm talent and was drafted late. Croyle (2005) drafted 3rd had no arm talent either. What other QBs has Alabama had that received a draftable grade not counting the guy currently at OU.

Can you not see how that’s a valid concern?

5 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Can you not see how that’s a valid concern?

No. Because I look at talent and how it will translate to the next level. Not cliches about what school or system they played in. Same argument happened around Mahomes. He was "just a product of Texas Techs system". No TT QB ever excels in the pros. But he had legit arm talent, could throw from any angle and was athletic though a little raw.

Now, I have concerns with how he's played against top ranked defenses. And his medicals would need to check out.

But he has things you cannot coach. His touch and accuracy are second to none in college. His ability to throw on the run accurately is a speciality. He's tough as nails. Teammates rally around a guy who will tough it out when hurt. He has an it factor as a leader.

I compare him to another guy every slept on, Dashawn Watson as a leader and playmaker. His arm is similar to Watson. He doesn't have a huge arm, but ability to make all the throws with touch and accuracy. But unlike Watson, his frame is more that of Russell Wilson. 

Why I could see Gruden liking him - Gruden's offense relies on timing and accuracy. Both pluses for Tua. He values toughness and ability to make throws outside the pocket. He's a natural leader on the field, smart and instinctive. He's a perfect system fit for what Gruden likes in his QBs. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

This Tua talk a waste of time. Thank you, next 

I'll remember this on when you flipflop like always. Also.. quoting Ariana Grande? Are you a 16 year old preteen? 

Oops... forgot, you won't flipflop on this. Carr is from Fresno and you'll ride him until he retires because Fresno that's why. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'll remember this on when you flipflop like always. Also.. quoting Ariana Grande? Are you a 16 year old preteen? 

Oops... forgot, you won't flipflop on this. Carr is from Fresno and you'll ride him until he retires because Fresno that's why. 

He has been posting on this board far to long to be a pre-teen.  If he is 16 then you started arguing with a nine year old back in the day.

5 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

This Tua talk a waste of time. Thank you, next 

I've been as big of a supporter of Carr as yourself and even I wouldn't rule out Tua being our pick...

Now before you blow a gasket, hear me out. Tua is not playing next year it's DC. Then he would compete with DC his 2nd season but probably lose out by a hair. 

We CONTROL where he or DC goes. If Tua looks good but still doesn't start in 3rd season you offer the 20/25 mil per contract that starts after his 5th year option so locking him down for 5 years after his 5th year option. He signs that then you trade or let DC walk depending on extension discussions with DC or tags. It's about keeping QB's away from our rivals and keeping contracts in check to build a better team around whoever we have. Tua is red shirting his rookie season and will want to prove himself so if not starting by DC's last year he may sign a deal giving him 100 mil over 5 years after his rookie deal and DC will probably be getting 35/40 under a franchise tag by then or an extension, so Tua now sitting with the plan to keep and control both is actually really smart and not an emotional reaction. It also gives us a great back up for injuries in case a 2016 happens again. I'd even use our first 1st on Tua if I'm thinking long term and think he'll recover 100%. I also have a feeling DC and Tua would get along but still push each other. With Ried and Mahommes in KC do we really want Denver or Chargers getting Tua?!? Or god forbid the PATRIOTS!!!

So there is an argument for drafting Tua from a Carr supporter. Check my history, as I've always had his back and always will, but I'm rational enough to understand the bigger picture and Tua with our first 1st might be cheaper than a lesser quality back-up his first 4 years. CBA can throw a wrench into all of it too so who knows.

• Like 1