2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Wouldn't be shocked at all If Carr is an early retiree. I remember when Carr got concussed his rookie year in the preseason and you could tell he was shook afterwards, which is obviously understandable. He had a quote after that where he brought up his son and family and wanting to play with his kids for a long time after football, which is smart on his part.  But he never struck me as a guy who just loves the game unconditionally and will play for a long time, risking his body. 

He watched his brother get beat down Deebo style for years. He got his money already, him and his family is set for life. If we part ways with him this off-season, I can see him trying to make it work for maybe a year or two with another team then calling it quits. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

He watched his brother get beat down Deebo style for years. He got his money already, him and his family is set for life. If we part ways with him this off-season, I can see him trying to make it work for maybe a year or two with another team then calling it quits. 

It's easy to want to quit if you suck at something. 

Carr's detractors are being a little harsh now and just piling on. Carr is a solid QB,  you can't really argue that. He's not as bad as some of you are making out. 

He's a 10-20 range guy depending on the day. He has games where he plays like a top 10 QB in the league. But his bad games, he looks really bad. He's inconsistent, but that isn't new. 

He's shown he can be a solid starter and you can win games with him. But he's not shown ability to beat good teams.

It was seen as a make or break year for him this season. At 6-4 he looked right on schedule running Gruden's offense. The last 4 games he's unraveled. Albeit with help from his teammates. If he's a fighter, we'll see him finish strong in the last 2 games and punch a ticket to Vegas. It just won't be as wide open for him at starter as years past. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Carr's detractors are being a little harsh now and just piling on. Carr is a solid QB,  you can't really argue that. He's not as bad as some of you are making out. 

He's a 10-20 range guy depending on the day. He has games where he plays like a top 10 QB in the league. But his bad games, he looks really bad. He's inconsistent, but that isn't new. 

He's shown he can be a solid starter and you can win games with him. But he's not shown ability to beat good teams.

It was seen as a make or break year for him this season. At 6-4 he looked right on schedule running Gruden's offense. The last 4 games he's unraveled. Albeit with help from his teammates. If he's a fighter, we'll see him finish strong in the last 2 games and punch a ticket to Vegas. It just won't be as wide open for him at starter as years past. 

Meh he was barely winning games tho see den, sd, cinci etc 

carr was looking decent cause he didn’t self destruct he’s his own worst enemy 

45 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh he was barely winning games tho see den, sd, cinci etc 

carr was looking decent cause he didn’t self destruct he’s his own worst enemy 

The 6 teams that we've beaten this year have a combined record of 27-56-1 (32 Win%) and none of the teams that we've beaten currently have a winning record. When the season ends Carr will be 4-30 against playoff teams in his career. 

1 hour ago, Justwinning said:

At the very least, Carr needs serious competition. I want him to be our guy so bad, but man these last 4 games have been awful (whole team included). 

Carr's not the type of player that's going to rise to the occasion if he has someone trying to take his job. He doesn't have that type of mental toughness.  

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr's not the type of player that's going to rise to the occasion if he has someone trying to take his job. He doesn't have that type of mental toughness.  

If we don't find a clear upgrade, then we're going to have to find that out. If Carr and his camp doesn't like it then tough luck for them.

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I must have missed those games because he hasn't gone over 300+ yards all season and only has one game with 3+ TD and we lost. 

You do realize we are trying to be a run first team right?

Not going over 300 yards once is pretty shocking, I admit, but Gruden wants to be a clock killing offence. 
Gruden seems to want Derek to throw the ball around 30 times a game.. 10 Y/A isnt going to happen very often. 

Week 1, 4, 5, 7(minus the crap fumble out of bounds), 8, 9 10 and 11 he actually played well. He was doing exactly what Gruden wanted out this offense. 

Sure he didnt go over 300, and in week 5 he didnt throw a TD. . but again, we are a RUN FIRST TEAM.

too add - by well, i mean boardline top 10. which is what you said you missed those games. 

Edited by BackinBlack
add

9 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

You do realize we are trying to be a run first team right?

Not going over 300 yards once is pretty shocking, I admit, but Gruden wants to be a clock killing offence. 
Gruden seems to want Derek to throw the ball around 30 times a game.. 10 Y/A isnt going to happen very often. 

Week 1, 4, 5, 7(minus the crap fumble out of bounds), 8, 9 10 and 11 he actually played well. He was doing exactly what Gruden wanted out this offense. 

Sure he didnt go over 300, and in week 5 he didnt throw a TD. . but again, we are a RUN FIRST TEAM.

too add - by well, i mean boardline top 10. which is what you said you missed those games. 

Do you think if we had a better quarterback our offensive philosophy would be the same? 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Do you think if we had a better quarterback our offensive philosophy would be the same? 

That is a fair question, and IMO I dont think so. 
It is a little tough to answer because, I believe if we had a Lamar Jackson type, Im sure Gruden would make changes to adjust to certain play styles. 
But i think the philosophy would be the same. 

I think we can all agree, our D needs help. .. easiest way to do that is to make the game shorter. You do that by running the football. 
Gruden loves physicality and beating up your opponent, so again, I think Gruden always wants to have a run first team. 

Gruden is also a fan of the west coast O, IE short throws designed for YAC. 
But he also needs a deep outside threat that keeps a D honest / scared. We dont have that, and it is crucial in a WCO. 
Right now Ds stack the first 20 yards, because we dont have a deep threat.