Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Derrick Brown is definitely the guy this year that people are overthinking.

Consensus stud, top 3-5 guy that is can't miss. Now he's "dropping boards" and random blurbs downing him. Happens every year.

Whoever gets him will be very happy.

To me it reminded me of two former prospects, Haloti Ngata and Star Lotulelei. Both panned out rather well, (the former more than the latter). In particular I remember Ngata being criticized for 'inconsistent motor.' Over the years its seems like its a criticism that is pretty consistent among interior linemen, probably due to the physical demands of the position and the fact few people pay attention to the position outside of draft time.

19 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Consensus stud, top 3-5 guy that is can't miss. Now he's "dropping boards" and random blurbs downing him. Happens every year.

I view Andrew Thomas the same way.  Top 5 pick all season and dropped after the season ended.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I view Andrew Thomas the same way.  Top 5 pick all season and dropped after the season ended.

Yeah that didn't make any sense. I was always on the "Andrew Thomas is Slightly Overrated" train, but there was some overcorrection, as is tradition. Thomas is still a premier OL and will be a stud LT for a long while.

18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah that didn't make any sense. I was always on the "Andrew Thomas is Slightly Overrated" train, but there was some overcorrection, as is tradition. Thomas is still a premier OL and will be a stud LT for a long while.

I think this abnormally good LT draft has lowered his stock because of the comp. Most draft he'd be even more of a no brainer. This year, some overthinking.

10 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I think this abnormally good LT draft has lowered his stock because of the comp. Most draft he'd be even more of a no brainer. This year, some overthinking.

Oh it definitely has. People are going to gamble for upside, but I don't know if you want to do that with the OT position.

Andrew Thomas mirrors speed better than any OT in the class and the most aggressive blocker in the run game. He has some sloppiness in the run game though.
Tristan Wirfs is the best fit for a zone blocking scheme. He has raw power. He is raw and plays too high in pass protection. Needs to work on some fundamental things.
Jedrick Wills is the best technician and pass protection anchor in the class. Wills is not the elite athlete some give him credit for, IMO. He's just technically sound.
Mekhi Becton is solid in everything and has an elite upside. He is untested in traditional pass protection and should be more dominant in the run game.

Take your pick. Thomas and Wills are the steady blind side protector types.
Becton is a wild card with A++++ upside.
Wirfs is the run blocking OL that DL and LB's have nightmares about.

Edited by BleedTheClock
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2020 at 12:29 PM, .Buzz said:

Now that we have the 13th pick from Indy. If teams want to drop Brown or Kinlaw I'm ok with that. I expect Brown to gone by the time we're on the clock so I'm looking at Kinlaw but hey either would be a great replacement for Buck. 

23 minutes ago, sherm said:

Now that we have the 13th pick from Indy. If teams want to drop Brown or Kinlaw I'm ok with that. I expect Brown to gone by the time we're on the clock so I'm looking at Kinlaw but hey either would be a great replacement for Buck. 

Ya'll could get Kinlaw or one of Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs and get immediate impact...then trade back from your 2nd 1st to get a few more picks and add depth.

Or trade back a bit from 13 and get even more draft capital and see who falls.  Either way, it's a great place to be sitting.

And as a Packers fan, I hate it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Ya'll could get Kinlaw or one of Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs and get immediate impact...then trade back from your 2nd 1st to get a few more picks and add depth.

Or trade back a bit from 13 and get even more draft capital and see who falls.  Either way, it's a great place to be sitting.

And as a Packers fan, I hate it.

Yeah I think the most common pick at  until we sign a wr will be one of the top 3 wr at 13. The 2nd pick will be the one most will see a trade back from...but you're correct in that pick 13 would be the pick if Lynch wanted to trade back and really add draft capital. 

Sucks to see Buck go but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:16 PM, NoDakViking said:

Does Terrell Lewis fit as a 4-3 DE (wide 9 likely)  or is he more of a 3-4 rush LB.

I think he is pretty raw.  Not sure he has the explosiveness to be a 9 but could be.  I think he could be either( 9-tech or 3-4 OLB) because he is so raw and also fail at either for the same reason.  He needs a season to learn his craft

I was checking the SPARQ archive today. If anyone wants a reference toward how bad this defensive line/edge crop is in relation to a typical year, it was front and center in those athletic testing numbers. In 2018 there were a combined 22 players who tested at 70% level or above, in comparison to the average NFL player at 50%. Last year there were a combined 25 players at 70% and higher.

This year there are 5

Granted, we had test skippers like Chase Young, and canceled pro days. Far fewer full performances to draw a SPARQ score. But 5 at this stage after a full combine is ridiculous.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2020/defensive-line/

23 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I was checking the SPARQ archive today. If anyone wants a reference toward how bad this defensive line/edge crop is in relation to a typical year, it was front and center in those athletic testing numbers. In 2018 there were a combined 22 players who tested at 70% level or above, in comparison to the average NFL player at 50%. Last year there were a combined 25 players at 70% and higher.

This year there are 5

Granted, we had test skippers like Chase Young, and canceled pro days. Far fewer full performances to draw a SPARQ score. But 5 at this stage after a full combine is ridiculous.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2020/defensive-line/

People actually asked if this years crop could be better than last years. 2019 was one of the best and deepest EDGE classes I mean Maxx Crosby in the 4th? Not to mention the obvious dudes in R1!