Oren Burks

Golfman

Had really high hopes for this kid last year and then he hurt his shoulder and it went down hill from there. Word out of OTA's is he's looking really good and is ready for that 2nd year leap. Anybody have any additional details on Burks in OTA's other than the few tidbits we get in interviews from players?

• Like 1

Burks is a total enigma to me, didn't know who he was and there was next to nothing with his college tape after we drafted him. I heard he was regarded more due to his athleticism than football IQ. 

I did hear he's looking good during OTA's  But most look good in shorts and no pads. Looking forward to seeking him in pads and hitting people that will be the true test. Burks and Josh Jones are the guys ill be the most intrigued with during mini camps.

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

Burks is a total enigma to me, didn't know who he was and there was next to nothing with his college tape after we drafted him. I heard he was regarded more due to his athleticism than football IQ. 

I did hear he's looking good during OTA's  But most look good in shorts and no pads. Looking forward to seeking him in pads and hitting people that will be the true test. Burks and Josh Jones are the guys ill be the most intrigued with during mini camps.

I agree with this.  Especially with a guy like Burks, who will look better than most in shorts.  I'm going to hold judgement until we see the preseason action where he has to work through traffic and take on some blocks.

• Like 1

All depends on whether he can "see" it. Burks has the athletic ability but so do 1,000 other guys who can't make it in the NFL. They all look good in shorts. At ILB, if you lack instincts and can't anticipate that first step to beat the Olineman to the spot, you're just another guy and always will be. Hopefully, he's ready to take that mental leap. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

What was wrong with Burks' play last year, anyone feel they have some insight?  I only watched the preseason games live, and I haven't looked at him specifically on any kind of All-22.  

Was having a really tough time with his fits which looks lousy with the line he had in front of him.

He also looked like he wasn't sure where he was supposed to be in coverage quite a bit. If he was asked to make a read, too often it was wrong. 

The biggest issue he had though was that he didn't get a ton of snaps. Josh Jones played a lot of the passing downs and Morrison played the run downs. Given adequate snaps to work through the growing pains, the game may very well have slowed down for him. We just weren't willing to ride through it.

• Like 1