Kawhi Leonard signs with Clippers and Clippers trade for Paul George

49erurtaza

17 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I don't know if Thibs ever played basketball. Certainly not on a high level. Therefor he doesn't know how bodies work. hence poor coaching at times.

You don't have to play basketball at a high level to know not to play a guy 46 minutes per game and expect them to bust their arse offensively and defensively.  He knows he was running dudes into the ground.  It was just worth it to him because they were close to winning with some of those Bulls teams.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 8:01 AM, seminoles1 said:

A 2nd season with Westbrook happens. Kawhi called and George had a choice: stick it out with Westbrook or request a trade to play with Kawhi.

You choose Kawhi every time. OKC didn't HAVE to trade him, but that's a crazy haul they got offered. If they were smart then they'd see what Westbrook could get, but my guess is not too much.

I get why PG made the decision, I don’t get why OKC did, those 1st round picks are going to be late 1st rounders. They aren’t as valuable imo, maybe packaged later but not as is

8 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I get why PG made the decision, I don’t get why OKC did, those 1st round picks are going to be late 1st rounders. They aren’t as valuable imo, maybe packaged later but not as is

Unprotected picks are valuable assets no matter how you slice it, especially when they come from the west. Plus, who knows how good the Clippers will be 4-6 years from now. Leonard and George both have injury histories — in Kawhi's case it's something that may continue to get worse. Throw in a potential future star in Gilgeous-Alexander on top of all that, and I think it was a pretty unreal return for OKC.

28 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

Gotcha. Thought you meant for George's perspective.

I'm not sure why OKC pulled the trigger. However, even if they put him on the open market, I doubt anyone was topping the Clippers' package. It's been reported they'll explore trading Westbrook, but I think they'll be disappointed with the potential packages. Maybe they then turn around and try to overwhelm Washington for a Beal trade? I'm sure Beal would get bad flashbacks of playing with John Wall though haha.

40 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

The Thunder made the decision because they know it's time to blow it up and start over.  They made the wrong decision when they let James Harden walk.  That was the start.  After Durant left, they tried to continue to compete by bringing in Paul George.  They've been bounced from the first round year after year since Durant left and this past postseason was just a mess for them.  They realize they're not true contenders, so instead of being a treadmill team they are willing to bite the bullet and start fresh.

Gilgeous-Alexander is going to be a really good player in this league, IMO.  He has a lot of potential.  I think he's a really good get for the Thunder.  Also, those first rounders can be used to acquire more talent via the draft or in future trades.  If they can find a suitor for Westbrook and get some valuable assets, the rebuild can start. 

As @seminoles1 said, the Thunder weren't going to get a better package of assets for Paul George.  Ultimately, they made the correct decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, showtime said:

You don't have to play basketball at a high level to know not to play a guy 46 minutes per game and expect them to bust their arse offensively and defensively.  He knows he was running dudes into the ground.  It was just worth it to him because they were close to winning with some of those Bulls teams.

I don't know about that he ran some Minnesota players to the ground and they certainly weren't close to win anything. Even if he knows it's like winning the battle but losing the war. And this time he lost the war, it may not ever be hired as a head coach again

Edited by resilient part 2

9 minutes ago, tom cody said:

This Raptors fan wishes Kawhi all the best with the Clippers. Wish he had stayed but he gets to go home to play. Also he led the Raptors to a title which was great to see.

I'll be interested to see if Pascal Siakam can take the next step, who replaces Danny Green, and if OG Anunoby takes the next step as well. 

2 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Unprotected picks are valuable assets no matter how you slice it, especially when they come from the west. Plus, who knows how good the Clippers will be 4-6 years from now. Leonard and George both have injury histories — in Kawhi's case it's something that may continue to get worse. Throw in a potential future star in Gilgeous-Alexander on top of all that, and I think it was a pretty unreal return for OKC.

For the next 4-6 LAC will be nothing lower than a 4 seed. They still have talent aside from PG/Kawhi. The rest of the west is aging

Bron

Curry

Dame

the only young teams will be Nuggs and Jazz depending how they work their cap 

Edited by nlesthought