2019 Trade Deadline/Rumors

BullsandBroncos

The Athletic: Marcus Stroman is off the board. What does that mean for Robbie Ray? The Mets got Marcus Stroman for a package so light it "shocked" one GM. But they also swiped one trade chip from the board without thinning the ranks of the buyers. Did that set a low price for Robbie Ray, or decrease the supply without disturbing demand?

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Its a slow trade season after two slow years of free agency in a row. Teams are just hoarding young prospects these days

It all comes down to numbers and for a few years those numbers have been saying that if you target and develop the youngsters, they can hold their own production-wise with the older guys.

9 hours ago, Slateman said:

They tried to get the Twins to include Buxon

While these discussions are ongoing, its tough to tell which part (or parts) or whats being reported is correct.

"According to multiple sources with knowledge of talks, the Twins discussed trade scenarios with Toronto about righthander Marcus Stroman before the All-Star starting pitcher was dealt to the Mets. They also inquired about Mets righthander Noah Syndergaard before being turned off by New York’s high asking price, which included outfielder Byron Buxton"

So that part appears to be accurate to some extent, but.....

"Their best option appeared to be Stroman, a charismatic ground-ball inducer having a solid season. The Blue Jays were looking for starting pitching in return, but they told the Twins that any deal had to include either shortstop Royce Lewis or outfielder Alex Kirilloff, who are ranked as two of the top 20 prospects in the game"

If thats correct - TOR moved Stroman for prospects only - so somebody must have changed their mind - or the reporting isnt totally accurate. Its tough to tell at this point.

Personally, I still think the smart play (if you're the NY Mets....) is NOT to trade Noah. Maybe move Wheeler and/or others - but you add Stroman to Noah and DeGrom (?) plus/plus........thats not too shabby a rotation IMO. 

But - I'm counting on the Mets to do the stupid thing and trade Noah. I just hope it'll be to some team like San Diego - who we may see in the WS some ten years from now :)

Cubs and Orioles talking Jonathan Villar, with Chicago also in talks for Jarrod Dyson as they look to add speed to their lineup.  

Additionally, Morosi is reporting the Orioles are discussing Trey Mancini with multiple teams.  My feeling is that he's going to be moved.  

My feelings are that the Tigers are going to waste another opportunity and sit on all their trade pieces.  Other than Castellanos, they still have them under contract but their value will do nothing but dip from this point on and none are part of the future here.

19 hours ago, Leader said:

The Athletic: Marcus Stroman is off the board. What does that mean for Robbie Ray? The Mets got Marcus Stroman for a package so light it "shocked" one GM. But they also swiped one trade chip from the board without thinning the ranks of the buyers. Did that set a low price for Robbie Ray, or decrease the supply without disturbing demand?

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

My feelings are that the Tigers are going to waste another opportunity and sit on all their trade pieces.  Other than Castellanos, they still have them under contract but their value will do nothing but dip from this point on and none are part of the future here.

I'm sitting here hoping a package of Denaburg, Garcia, Read, and Cate could pry Castellanos and Greene for the Nats.

@Slateman - Outside what I read, I couldnt tell you squat about the NYMet prospects....and I dont read a bunch of NYMet stuff - but - I think they got Stroman with a light offer.

I very well may think too highly of Stroman - but I wish the NYY had gotten him. A 4-5 pitch guy. No injury history. ALEast tested and proven. Not cowed by the big stage. A ground ball (vs fly ball) guy (and we've got the infield to back him up).

Since I cant grade the Met prospects - I cant come up with a similar talent level from the NYY - but I would've liked him to be pitching in The Stadium instead of Citi Field.

Part of me wishes the NYY engineer a (hidden) 3-team trade: Somebody gets Stroman from the Mets - with a prearranged swap to the NYY. So there "We wont trade with the Yankees" Mets!

Archived