Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Majority of this gap came from LaFleur tonight. He called the most predictable half of football I've ever seen. Think I counted 6 straight series he went run,run,pass to open the 2nd half. Think he wanted to get the hell out of Canada, but subjecting Kizer to that was dumb, just throw Wilkins out there and have him mop it up.

He was more of run, run, pass in the first quarter too. So saying Kizer stuck because of it was wrong. Boyle had to do it too.

45 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Majority of this gap came from LaFleur tonight. He called the most predictable half of football I've ever seen. Think I counted 6 straight series he went run,run,pass to open the 2nd half. Think he wanted to get the hell out of Canada, but subjecting Kizer to that was dumb, just throw Wilkins out there and have him mop it up.

Agree.

I was posting the play sequences in the GDT to highlight their innocuous (and ineffective) nature. No way that playcalling stands up in the regular season with AR back there.....and against the defensive starters. It had the feel of a "run out the clock" playcalling that began way before its time.

I imagine by that time of the second half the OL was populated by a bunch of practice squad wanna-be's and the reference you made to Hundley (I think it was you....) was entirely apt as he'd suffered similar stretches of "this aint gonna work" behind a injury ravaged / preseason OLs. Not sure what you get from the film of such action....but I'm not an NFL coach.

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Objectively Boyle played better. He had a lot of help from his receivers this game and floundered for 1&1/2 quarters. I’ll be curious to see who runs the 2s this coming week.

Of what I saw (and honestly I couldnt watch the entire thing......) there were some really nice WR snags last night. Really "could go either way" receptions that we came down with....which is good for us and the WRs making those catches.

42 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

He was more of run, run, pass in the first quarter too. So saying Kizer stuck because of it was wrong. Boyle had to do it too.

No that was definitely not the case. Boyle attempted 25 passes in his half, Kizer 9.

Also sucked hard for JMon. They must be trying to hide him for the PS, otherwise he's got the raw end of the deal with us this PS too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

No that was definitely not the case. Boyle attempted 25 passes in his half, Kizer 9.

Also sucked hard for JMon. They must be trying to hide him for the PS, otherwise he's got the raw end of the deal with us this PS too.

JMon has no hands like Jeff Janis. I doubt anyone wants him at this point. I really think teams would be more interested in Lazard or Shepard.

20 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

They aren't meaningless, far from it, no help needed thank you.

First team guys should value reps almost as much as they low-end roster guys, and they fight for every. single. rep.

The difference is that first team guys should be working on gelling as a unit, while low-end roster guys are fighting to make the squad.

These three statements are just flat out wrong on many levels.

They are meaningless.

First team guys value reps in practice.  No need to risk injury in a game that simply doesn't matter.  First string guys do not fight for every single rep as they've earned the lion's share already.

First team guys gel as a unit during practice and off the field.  

The pre-season is there to develop the end of your roster and give reps to young kids who need them....while insuring that your key players are not exposed to needless injury.

Case in point...what if it was Rodgers that was lit up last night while scrambling by an overzealous safety with absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain?

To me, you are digging your head in the sand on this instead of just admitting what we already know.  The pre-season has changed significantly over the past few years.  Practices and games were used to get guys into playing shape.  Now?  Guys come into camp in shape.  It's a different game now.  Whether we want it to be or not.

Edited by vegas492

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I was about to type a reply to those of the opposite opinion to me, like @vegas492 and @Stevein2012 when @Greg C. pre-empted me with what he said.

This is not a cut-and-dried argument, if it were that obvious, no coaches would play their no.1s in preseason, and many do. So comments like 'if you think that way no-one can help you'             ( @vegas492 ) are just baiting. I respect the opposite opinion to mine on this, I just don't agree with it, and have posted many reasons why I think the way I do. Maybe it is time to let this die, as it is difficult to prove definitively either way and becomes just an opinion where proponents of opposite sides marshall and post the things they feel support their case as justification.

By now, we are down to just re-stating what has been aired earlier.

Sorry about the "no one can help you" comment.

I rephrase, if you can't understand how the NFL has changed over the past few years, then I don't know what to tell you.

You see what happened to Cam Newton?

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

This can't be true.  I'm catching up here and reading how these pre-season games are important for timing and to get the new offense down.

I have a hard time believing that our head coach would just want to get out of Canada.

-insert sarcasm-

Looking at the 33 players who did not play last night.

Roster Locks: Rodgers, Adams, Alexander, Savage, J.Williams, Amos, A.Jones, T.Williams, Martinez, Z'Smith, Linsley, Taylor, Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Bulaga, Turner, MVS, P.Smith, Lowry,  Clark, Graham

Injured but roster locks: Vitale, Burks, King, Hollman, Sternberger

Not sure on: Lewis, J.Jones

Injured and on the bubble: Ento, Campbell, Roberts, Gilbert, F.Brown

For the those who played. Here are the snap counts:

QB: Tim Boyle [46], DeShone Kizer [26]
RB: Tra Carson [33], Keith Ford [18], Dexter Williams [17], Malcolm Johnson [11], Darrin Hall [4], Tommy Bohanon [2]
WR: Trevor Davis [48], Allen Lazard [47], Darrius Shepherd [40], Jake Kumerow [20], J’Mon Moore [15], Equanimeous St. Brown [12], Teo Redding [2]
TE: Robert Tonyan [48], Evan Baylis [41], Pharoah McKever [2]
OL: Adam Pankey [72], Justin McCray [61], Lucas Patrick [57], Cole Madison [47], Alex Light [46], Yosh Nijman [26], Gerhard de Beer [26], Anthony Coyle [25]

DL: James Looney [44], Kingsley Keke [43], Deon Simon [42], Montravius Adams [28], Olive Sagapolu [23], Tyler Lancaster [22]
OLB: Randy Ramsey [53], Markus Jones [47], Kyler Fackrell [31], Rashan Gary [25]
ILB: Ty Summers [77], James Crawford [35], Brady Sheldon [23], Curtis Bolton [19]
S: Tray Matthews [56], Natrell Jamerson [53], Mike Tyson [36], Will Redmond [34], Raven Greene [24]
CB: Chandon Sullivan [64],, Nydair Rouse [31], Tony Brown [24], Josh Jackson [24]

My observations:

• Interesting to see Tony Brown start and Tramon Williams rested. I would've thought he jumped ahead of him on the depth chart.
  • Marcedes Lewis has barely played any preseason snaps. Either he is a lock to make the final 53 or he's just a training camp body. He barely did anything last year so I would've thought the coaches would try to make him prove himself to show he still has what it takes. Unlike Rodgers he's not THAT important to our team to require being held out of preseason games.
  • By making Taylor inactive this all but confirmed that he is a lock to make the roster.
  • The only reason Carson is getting so many snaps is because he is assignment sure. I don't think he will make the roster but i do concede he could be the one surprise candidate that makes it.
  • Doesn't appear Malik Taylor got a single snap. Safe to say he isn't making the roster along with Bohanon, Redding and McKever. Sagapolu too.
  • Pankey's high snap count was due to his versatility. Started at tackle and I suspect when Nijman and de Beer entered the game he was rotated in at guard. He has shown he is the most versatile and that might secure him the 8th or 9th OL spot.
  • I think Gute should've attempted to fill the 90th roster spot earlier in the week, possibly a body at linebacker so that either Gary or Bolton wouldn't have had to play.
  • On defence the players who are likely to land on the final 53 were taken out hence the lower snap numbers namely Lancaster, Adams, Redmond, Greene, Brown, Jackson. It's interesting to see Sheldon have a low number of snaps....does that mean he is ahead of Summers? 77 snaps is a large amount and i'm surprised he wasn't rotated out more.
  • I was in the Kizer camp but now I have to concede that I think Boyle has secured the backup QB job. However I still think we will keep both.
  • Shepherd, Davis, Kumerow, Lazard, they all showed up. Moore is done. I don't think the final preseason game will save him now.

Pretty much agree with all of that post Chili.  Well done sir.  I don't think there ever was a question of Taylor making the 53 unless he was traded though.  The question is does he or Jenkins start.  I would place my money to start the season with Taylor.  Oh, and I hope we carry 2 QB's.  Especially since as it sits right now we only have one.

I didn't think we would but we may now carry 7 WR's on the 53 until we can place EQ on IR.  Even a high ankle sprain could dictate that move. 

Edited by 15412