What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

35 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I haven't cooked this yet, but let me tell you what I'm excited about.

My fiancee is babysitting in like 2 weeks, and she's going to be away over night. Means I get to make things I know she's not a huge fan of.

I just found out a local market sells full on Tomahawk steaks and I've been wanting to have one for myself.

I recently got a sous vide, and I have a large container, my cast iron is well seasoned, I am going to make a bleu cheese butter for it.

I. am. ready.

SO MUCH THIS!!!! That sounds INCREDIBLE! Can you get me your recipe for your bleu cheese butter?!?!?! 

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

SO MUCH THIS!!!! That sounds INCREDIBLE! Can you get me your recipe for your bleu cheese butter?!?!?! 

1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup-3/4 cup bleu cheese crumbles (depends on how potent you like the flavor, this will mess with the overall consistency alittle. I like mine a bit more flavorful)
A few spins of black pepper, nothing too much
1 garlic clove minced
Small amounts of both chopped basil and parsley

Should do the trick.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 5:41 PM, MKnight82 said:

So I’ve been trying new crockpot recipes.  Today I made a honey/ginger chicken that I slow cooked over 5 hours then served with rice and an Asian cabbage salad I made.  Turned out pretty good.  Anyone have any good recipes?

We do have a recipe thread...

1 minute ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup-3/4 cup bleu cheese crumbles (depends on how potent you like the flavor, this will mess with the overall consistency alittle. I like mine a bit more flavorful)
1 garlic clove minced

Should do the trick.

THANK YOU!

How high do you turn up the heat? Do you baste the steaks in them, or just finish them in it?

1 minute ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

1/2 cup softened butter
1 garlic clove minced

Should do the trick.

This sounds amazing. I've been doing something similar as a garlic butter for my fish dishes. 

2 cloves minced garlic

1/4 cup softened unsalted butter

basil

oregano

thyme

rosemary

black pepper

small bit of salt.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

THANK YOU!

How high do you turn up the heat? Do you baste the steaks in them, or just finish them in it?

I just finish them in it. I'll take a good scoop and put it on after I'm finishing in the cast iron, and just let the heat do the rest. Covers pretty well and its so good.

• Like 1

Just now, JoshstraDaymus said:

I just finish them in it. I'll take a good scoop and put it on after I'm finishing in the cast iron, and just let the heat do the rest. Covers pretty well and its so good.

I take it you just whisk it up/mix it up really good, or do you melt it completely in a sauce pan?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this back up ;

Last few nights cooked up ;

Lemon Garlic Alaskan Cod with Sun Dried Tomato and Feta Couscous

Beef Red Sauce Penne with a Cucumber Vinaigrette Salad and Homemade Focaccia Bread

Roasted Veg Bowls (Sweet Potato, Broccoli, Crispy Chickpeas,Spinach, and Sautéed Butter Mushrooms)

Chicken Tikka Masala

Honey Soy Ginger Boneless Chicken Thighs with Brown Rice and a Red Wine Vinaigrette Green Salad

I've just been eating a whole lot of beans and ramen, lately.  Hard to do that much when your usual cooking relies heavily on fresh vegetables and you suddenly can't go to the store whenever you want.

I'm about to tackle breadmaking, again.  I'm a good cook, but bread is a whole different animal.

Cross your fingers and/or leave tips for me yall.

• Like 1

Wife said she wanted something "earthy" so I decided on an onion soup recipe I adapted. Used cognac to deglaze the pan, a little white wine with butter to start softening the onions with, added mushrooms and instead of a beef stock I used a roast beef broth, used asagio and provolone cheese to top it off and sourdough (not homemade but still delicious) and everyone went nuts for it. Wish I would have made more, there are zero leftovers left. 

On 4/21/2020 at 3:26 PM, Daniel said:

I've just been eating a whole lot of beans and ramen, lately.  Hard to do that much when your usual cooking relies heavily on fresh vegetables and you suddenly can't go to the store whenever you want.

I'm about to tackle breadmaking, again.  I'm a good cook, but bread is a whole different animal.

Cross your fingers and/or leave tips for me yall.

While I am not an expert on breadmaking, a few YouTube channels that are good ones are

Quang Tran

Binging with Babish

And I have been a long-time fan of Alton's pretzel bread (though I like to use a garlic butter and add some herbs and cheese to it, and prefer them in twisted sticks rather than the regular pretzel shape). 

• Like 1