What Did You Cook for Dinner?

MKnight82

On 13/05/2020 at 8:09 PM, Shady Slim said:

gonna get a batch of shady's healthy nachos up for dinner tomorrow which i haven't done for a while, excited to get them up and running because there's nothing better than eating in luxury while treating your body right

Healthy =/= Nachos tho...

Sooo...

I look forward to seeing or hearing about it all, and i'd like some.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Healthy =/= Nachos tho...

Sooo...

I look forward to seeing or hearing about it all, and i'd like some.

i'll put a pic up next time i do them but essentially

• start with a leaner mince such as pork mince or chicken mince. pork is my personal favourite but chicken is great too.
  • for carbs, the base of the meal, i like to use mission yellow corn tortilla strips which have about half the sodium of american doritos and a gram less of saturated fat
    • interesting aside: the doritos here (australia) also have about three-quarters the sodium of american doritos. america is a bizarre haven for salty things.
  • don't add any salt in the cooking process. you just, don't need it. the strips have enough already, it's in the meat already, and chances are any seasonings will have some too.
  • i only use 1tsp of oil there and there abouts and use extra virgin olive oil which is the healthiest too. by having a non stick pot you can really cut down on oil used in all dishes tbh
  • onion, capsicum, are essentials. brown onion and red capsicum. the rest of the veg is up to you but include a lot hey! whether you're a beans guy, lettuce, tomato, chuck it in there!
    • if you do want tomato for the chili, make sure to buy and chop and pulverise your own tomato to dodge the salt and preservatives from the tinned stuff
  • the seasonings for the chili i use are cayenne pepper (lots), paprika (lots), italian herbs and some garlic. a sprinkle of packaged taco or nacho seasoning's fine just don't add too much
  • we love the spicy stuff and also add in half a teaspoon of carolina reaper relish for three serves of the dish. wouldn't recommend unless you're as big on spice as i am because the reaper is quite literally the hottest chili
  • mozzarella cheese is the cheese to go with, and you don't need to overload on it either.
  • a bit of avocado or guac on top finishes it all off. unlike vegetables, where eating a lot of them doesn't compensate for eating crap the rest of your diet, good cholesterol or high density lipoprotein actually cleans your arteries and blood vessels of the gunk and build up of bad cholesterol. obvs you don't want to have too much HDL still and that's bad but in moderation it does you brilliantly.

so that's it really, the crux is portion control and picking healthy options for every ingredient. obviously this is all out the window for example if you lunk 250g of pork on your plate to go with the entire pack of tortilla strips, but it's a great healthy twist on a classic. the chili itself, this chili, also works for burritos etc as well! use wholegrain if you can for a burrito

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

• start with a leaner mince such as pork mince or chicken mince. pork is my personal favourite but chicken is great too.
  • for carbs, the base of the meal, i like to use mission yellow corn tortilla strips which have about half the sodium of american doritos and a gram less of saturated fat
    • interesting aside: the doritos here (australia) also have about three-quarters the sodium of american doritos. america is a bizarre haven for salty things.
  • don't add any salt in the cooking process. you just, don't need it. the strips have enough already, it's in the meat already, and chances are any seasonings will have some too.
  • i only use 1tsp of oil there and there abouts and use extra virgin olive oil which is the healthiest too. by having a non stick pot you can really cut down on oil used in all dishes tbh
  • onion, capsicum, are essentials. brown onion and red capsicum. the rest of the veg is up to you but include a lot hey! whether you're a beans guy, lettuce, tomato, chuck it in there!
    • if you do want tomato for the chili, make sure to buy and chop and pulverise your own tomato to dodge the salt and preservatives from the tinned stuff
  • the seasonings for the chili i use are cayenne pepper (lots), paprika (lots), italian herbs and some garlic. a sprinkle of packaged taco or nacho seasoning's fine just don't add too much
  • we love the spicy stuff and also add in half a teaspoon of carolina reaper relish for three serves of the dish. wouldn't recommend unless you're as big on spice as i am because the reaper is quite literally the hottest chili
  • mozzarella cheese is the cheese to go with, and you don't need to overload on it either.
  • a bit of avocado or guac on top finishes it all off. unlike vegetables, where eating a lot of them doesn't compensate for eating crap the rest of your diet, good cholesterol or high density lipoprotein actually cleans your arteries and blood vessels of the gunk and build up of bad cholesterol. obvs you don't want to have too much HDL still and that's bad but in moderation it does you brilliantly.

so that's it really, the crux is portion control and picking healthy options for every ingredient. obviously this is all out the window for example if you lunk 250g of pork on your plate to go with the entire pack of tortilla strips, but it's a great healthy twist on a classic. the chili itself, this chili, also works for burritos etc as well! use wholegrain if you can for a burrito

Wait...people are making "nachos" with like...Doritos as a base?

No wonder everybody has diabeetus.  Yikes.

On 5/12/2020 at 12:24 PM, JoshstraDaymus said:

Does anyone have experience in cooking a exceptionally large tomahawk? I think I've asked this before and when I wanted to do it it didn't come to fruition but I just bought one at the grocery store.

Sear on the BGE and then raised it up to slow cook it.  I don't think you have one though.  The oven might be the best bet for you, but I'm not sure how to do it that way.  I followed this method using my BGE instead of the PK360 

Yesterday for breakfast I had a loaf of brioche that was turned into some amazing french toast, and also I did very thick slices of bacon in a pan with butter, brown sugar, and black pepper.

Guys.

That was the best bacon I've had since Bacon on a Stick at Camden Yards.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 5:43 PM, Shady Slim said:

The few times a year I make a batch of chili (or my mother does) it's always a huge amount so we can freeze it, share it, etc.  One of the meals I do is kinda what you are saying and making nachos out of it.  Definitely turns out well.  Those mission chips are the best too. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Yesterday for breakfast I had a loaf of brioche that was turned into some amazing french toast, and also I did very thick slices of bacon in a pan with butter, brown sugar, and black pepper.

Guys.

Please don't remind me.  I've already known about Old Bay hot dogs from Roma in the store (the sausage stands), I'm looking into making my own pretzels so I can have cinnamon pretzels (the pretzel stand) and I do plenty of my own BBQ.  I don't need to add bacon on a stick.  

Seriously, when/if we have an opening day, I am inviting my friends over who go to games with me and I'm doing all of it.  

37 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Guys.

Josh is completely changing my culinary life on this site!