What would it take for the Giants to make the playoffs?

y*so*blu

30 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

You are never going to see a 2019 redraft article with Jones going in the top 20.

Still sure of that, huh? We may be revisiting comments such as this one a year from now...

33 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Its also OK that Jones was 'their guy' but you find a way to get value by trading down somewhere between 9 and 12 and still get him or you grab him at 17 and add a huge impact player at 6.

Please explain how that is not only an easy thing to do, but also guarantees they land Jones. 

• Like 1

Realistically?

- Eli to go back to what he was 5 years ago or for Daniel Jones to somehow come in and unexpectedly light it up as a rookie Deshaun Watson style.

- The Cowboys and Eagles to have disappointing years. This might include a Wentz and/or Dak injury.

- A bit of luck in close games.

- Barkley to really have a breakout year in a way that he'd be in the discussion as NFL MVP even as a RB.

- The defense and o-line to overperform.

Edited by Bolts223

55 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Still sure of that, huh? We may be revisiting comments such as this one a year from now...

Please explain how that is not only an easy thing to do, but also guarantees they land Jones. 

How sure am I?

• I have the same faith in Jones being a terrible pick at 6 that I had in Jamarcus, Brady Quinn, and Paxton Lynch as bad 1st round picks.
  • I have the same faith that Jones will be a bad QB that I had in Deshawn Watson being a good NFL QB.
  • I didn't like Rosen coming out of college and I like him even less now. I still think he is a better prospect than Jones.
  • I thought Lamar Jackson would not be a special NFL QB but the Ravens took him at #32 which is nothing like taking a guy at #6.

I don't usually have this strong a reaction to a draft pick. I wanted Howard or Allen over Barnett for the Eagles in 2017 and when Barnett recovered that Brady fumble I admitted I was wrong. (both the other guys have been good players so far). I also thought Barnett should have been drafted around 14 I just wanted a different player who I thought should have been drafted around 10.

Most Giants fans absolutely hated the pick in the same way that Jets fans hated the Pat Ryan pick in 1984.

If you don't know how NFL draft trades work then I won't be the one to teach you.

Everyone not named Gettleman or hack reporters fed info by Gettleman had zero buzz on anyone looking at Jones in the top 20.

• He lied about the DC draft board and they insulted him in response as the clueless fool that he was.
  • He probably made it up about Denver as well.
Edited by SkippyX

In short, the Giants don't make the playoffs this year.

However I do like how they're building their team. They have arguably the best RB in the league. A QB who amongst all the criticism and ridicule about where he was drafted, has looked capable in preseason, and a defense with a young nucleus who should get better as they gel.

So no they won't be challenging the Eagles and Cowboys this season unless they both have peculiar poor years, but do think in 2 or 3 years they will be back challenging for playoff contention.

Short term pain, long term gain. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SkippyX said:

How sure am I?

I don't care. And didn't even ask.

16 hours ago, SkippyX said:

If you don't know how NFL draft trades work then I won't be the one to teach you.

Everyone not named Gettleman or hack reporters fed info by Gettleman had zero buzz on anyone looking at Jones in the top 20.

• He lied about the DC draft board and they insulted him in response as the clueless fool that he was.
  • He probably made it up about Denver as well.

Please teach me about NFL trades. Particularly how a GM can automatically trade down, like, six spots just because he wants to. That'll be informative.

You can hate the pick all you want--hate it no matter what happens in the future, in fact. A lot of people are coming around on this kid, though. Including folks who had similar opinions as you do. 

Pretty much the same thing it takes for any team except elite teams to make the playoffs: staying healthy, division rivals to take a setback, young talent to stepup, good coaching decisions, and some good ol' fashioned luck. FWIW the giants lately seem to have their best seasons every 4 years.  

On 8/16/2019 at 1:38 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Wentz would have to go on injured reserve again, and the Cowboys would have to implode somehow, neither of which I see happening.  It's probably just going to have to be a rebuilding year for the Giants.  They are going in the right direction for the future, though, so even if they have a down year in 2019, they have a lot to look forward to.

Honestly, if they're right around .500, Daniel Jones plays and flashes some promise, and they're a watchable team, I'll consider it a good year xD

I think it's just a waste of time to say "for Eli to play really well" here because he hasn't played really well in several years. We're supposed to believe it's possible he'll suddenly have a really good year when they replaced the best WR in franchise history with Golden Tate? 

If Eli gets benched early and Daniel Jones is OROY level very early, if not right out of the gate, then that offense could be good enough to win 9 or 10 games paired with an overachieving defense.

1. Stay Healthy 

2. Eli/Jones must play average at worst and keep the turnovers down (thinking 12 Ints or less)

3. Their young defense needs to gel quickly and they need to be around middle of the pack or better, if they have a bad defense this year I don't see if happening 

4. Their schedule for their first 10 games is pretty favorable IMO (take a look at it) they have 6 home games in the first 10 (Game against the Jets in week 10 is basically an extra home game) and they get their bye during week 11. They must get off to a 6-4 start or 5-5 at worst because their last 6 look to be a tough stretch 

5. WRs must step up, they will get Golden Tate back after week 4 but after that guys like Cody Latimer, Russell Shepard, TJ Jones must raise their level of play and become a legit #3 WR or better

6. They need to find a reliable #2 RB, if they run Barkley into the ground early and often he may not have as much to offer later in the season and playoffs if they were to make it. I think this is a very underrated issue for the Giants currently that not many talk about 

7. Special teams needs to be special, Rosas will probably have a few opportunities to win some games at the end this season like most kickers. If he can make some clutch kicks maybe they knock off a team or two that they "weren't supposed to"

8. Oh yeah and if the O-Line can continue to improve that is always a plus 

Vegas has the Gains over/under at 6 wins this season, I am not predicting they are great or even make the playoffs but I can honestly see them getting 7-8 wins mainly because of how their schedule sets up. Time will tell 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

Honestly, if they're right around .500, Daniel Jones plays and flashes some promise, and they're a watchable team, I'll consider it a good year xD

I don’t think that’s that far fetched. Didn’t like Jones and thought he was overdrafted, but hard to be unhappy with how he has played in grain-of-salt type looks. There’s optimism for NYG. 

Just not playoff optimism. Not for this season, anyway.