Baker Mayfield: “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones”

ClutchDJ

Just now, Broncofan said:

I really hope the NFL realigns and puts CLE & NYG in the same division now.  

As long as it gets Cinci out of the division so that I can actually watch MORE Browns games and LESS Bengals games, then I'm all for it. Every other market seems to have had it happen FOR them on an AFC/NFC split:

San Francisco/Oakland

Tampa Bay/Miami

Dallas/Houston

NY/NY

LA/LA

Pittsburgh/Philly (both PA)

...why they decided to ignore this way back in the day is beyond me. As long as the NFL is going to align TV to geography, then it should be equitable without buying a hundreds of dollars a month TV/Satellite plan.

Baker was caught up in the whole hive mind of stupidity that convinced people they can predict the future. One big mass delusion. This interview was probably done months ago while it was more fresh. He thought he was stating a fact everyone agreed with. 

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

First of all Hines Ward isnt even comparable to Baker. All Hines did was make plays and knock ppl the hell out with elite level blocking at the WR position.

Hines Ward was also on the right end of a SB victory.  As much as ppl might not like him, so was Ray Lewis. Baker doesn't have jack on them at this point in his career.

Yeah Lewis talked a lot of smack but it was generally directed at teams he was about to play. Baker talks for the sake of creating controversy and hearing himself talk 

Hines Ward was never an elite WR. Because he was in the Moss-TO-Bruce-Holt-Harrison era. 

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Jumping INTO the Dawg Pound after scoring a TD didn't exactly endear himself to Cleveland fans. Neither did the "Pepto Bismol" package to Leigh Bodden (who, btw, shut him down). Bryan Russell will NEVER have to buy another meal/drink in Cleveland again either, for the record.

Man, sports people are so serious haha.  I sometimes forget.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think that you said/described Baker mostly too. Brash, arrogant, chip on his shoulder, relatively good natured without a filter, has an ax to grind with media members like Colin Cowherd, etc. He's harmless and a pretty good guy, etc.

I have no problem with Baker.  Though i don't think he's always coming off as playful as Chad did.  There's just something about the way he says this stuff or something that makes people take him more seriously, even though it's not always meant that way.  Maybe it's because he's doing it at a younger age and people don't like young guys picking fights with the vets.  I don't know.

Just now, Ozzy said:

Really?  Wow, I watch as many as I can

Neither Browns game thus far was on TV by me, and it's almost like season ticket packages are a way to gouge fans for an extra 2 tickets that they don't want (thanks owners). 50% of the Rams squad didn't even travel to their last preseason game, but sure, it really means a lot. 

Just now, Ozzy said:

and Daniel Jones has not looked awful and has some more than a little promise,

Considering he was the 6th overall pick of the draft by the biggest market in the country, for his sake he'd better look good so far.

Just now, Ozzy said:

and again if Lawrence was picked there and Jones later in the 1st no one would of had a problem. 

Eeeeeeek. Lawrence as a huge DT in today's NFL, I would have berated that pick for sure...let alone the philosophy of "waiting" to get your franchise QB. I've seen the Browns do this for 20 years only to see it blow up every single time.

Just now, Ozzy said:

Jones has a nice release, can spin it well and throws a good accurate deep ball and obviously has the physical size and athletic ability for a QB. 

With a thin lower body, an average to below average release WITH a hitch/windup, forcing it into traffic regularly in college, major fumbling issues, and sloppy off platform footwork.

Just now, Ozzy said:

Sure Duke was not a dominating team but they did win 8 games this past year and the bowl game.  His receivers all sucked outside of TJ Rahming and arguably Erich Schneider his RS FR  year.  I did not have him as a high 1st rounder but bottom half of the 1st round was totally in question and 2nd round he would not have got past either.  Bet the Patriots are pissed he did not drop to them.  

The dropoff from what you want from a 6th overall to 32nd overall pick is significant, especially when the year before, Dave Gettleman said that he wanted "immediate impact/the best available" player in Barkley and then basically says Jones is going to sit...you can't have it both ways Dave, sorry.

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

A lot of those hot takes will age really well, just as Baker’s will. But It’s rare to see NFL players openly criticize other players, especially when there is no rivalry or affiliation between the two. There is usually a form of respect and classiness among players in all sports because they are peers. It’s not particularly surprising coming from a Busch league red neck like Mayfield. He seems to have a serious case of Napoleon complex. Between him, OBJ, Hunt, and some of their obnoxious fans, there is no team outside the NFCE that is easier for me to root against. Here’s to many more decades without a winning season for the Browns!

Image result for dr evil evil laugh gif

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

Man, sports people are so serious haha.  I sometimes forget.

We've had DARK days here in Cleveland. Days like that didn't help.

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

I have no problem with Baker.  Though i don't think he's always coming off as playful as Chad did.  There's just something about the way he says this stuff or something that makes people take him more seriously, even though it's not always meant that way.  Maybe it's because he's doing it at a younger age and people don't like young guys picking fights with the vets.  I don't know.

I think that it's part of his persona. He feeds off of the "no one believes in me/everyone who is an expert is WRONG!" because he's a 2 time walk on, undersized (short man syndrome) QB, who played with a chip on his shoulder and used that as fuel for himself, which in large part is exactly why he's been so successful to this point. He needs to learn when to shut his mouth and just smirk instead, but this is who he is as of now.

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

All Baker has proven is that he is better than the previous QBs the Browns have had. Beyond that he hasn't proven anything but the fact he has a big mouth and doesnt know when to shut up.

Maybe he has a great season this year but if he doesnt, his decision to question Daniel Jones is gonna look pretty God Awful. Idc why he did it, he needs to worry about himself and the Browns. 

hes proven that he threw more touchdown passes than any other rookie ever to play the game of football