The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

21 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think you're wildly overcrediting the thought process of young football players.

It's money, we're not talking about in depth thinking here, how can I make the most cash. You don't think the studs think about that? I do. I'm not talking suburban high school Jimmy deciding if he's playing D2 or D3, the 4*-5* guys. It's already happening. Look at the Combine numbers of RBs and ILBs compared with other positions. Bo Jackson and AP  type athletes  aren't playing RB in HS with the same frequency.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

With AR throwing things around, we're probably not gonna get into the high rent districts for RBs. 

Just did a quick check.......

DAL pays 1.57% of their cap to their 3 QBs. 29.36% to their 13 OLineman. 4.90% to their 3 RBs (not including Zeke's new contract).

GB pays 13.74% of their cap to their 2 QBs. 22.85% to the 10 OLineman. 1.02% to their 3 RBs.

It'll be interesting to see how Dak's new contract extension plays out going forward. Zeke's got his now.

Fair statement.  We don't know if GB will pay a top tier RB with Rodgers under contract.  We can speculate, though, and say that we don't think GB will pay a top tier RB while Rodgers is under contract.

I think they would...near the end of Arod's contract.  But.....we may find out sooner as opposed to later if Aaron Jones can figure out a way to stay healthy.

We will be knee deep in Arod's contract while at the end of Jones' rookie deal.  It'll be interesting.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Fair statement.  We don't know if GB will pay a top tier RB with Rodgers under contract.  We can speculate, though, and say that we don't think GB will pay a top tier RB while Rodgers is under contract.

I think they would...near the end of Arod's contract.  But.....we may find out sooner as opposed to later if Aaron Jones can figure out a way to stay healthy.

We will be knee deep in Arod's contract while at the end of Jones' rookie deal.  It'll be interesting.

They'll draft a RB high next year, and Dexter W. might develop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It's money, we're not talking about in depth thinking here, how can I make the most cash. You don't think the studs think about that? I do. I'm not talking suburban high school Jimmy deciding if he's playing D2 or D3, the 4*-5* guys. It's already happening. Look at the Combine numbers of RBs and ILBs compared with other positions. Bo Jackson and AP  type athletes  aren't playing RB in HS with the same frequency.

maybe, not sure I believe this without evidence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Gordon has underachieved behind a very good OL. Let him hold out.

This isn't even remotely true.  The Chargers line was nothing but awful in every year of Gordon's career but 2018 (5th, 26th, 23rd, & 31st).  In 2018 prior to his injury he was a 5 1/4 yard per carry back who averaged over 125 yards from scrimmage and a TD+ per game.  IMO Gordon's issue isn't production it's availability.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think he's struggling to see a second contract.  I think he doesn't like the reality that he isn't an elite RB.  RBs have a notoriously short shelf life, and he's averaged about 14 games played over the course of his career.  That's not going to get better as he gets older, he's going to be more likely to miss games.  Of the top RBs, his closest comp would probably be Le'Veon Bell, but Bell has been significantly more productive over his career.  That 4 year, $52M is probably the absolute ceiling that Gordon is going to get, and that's probably pushing it.  He's probably more of an $11-$12M/year player.

It's got nothing to do with being elite.  10 Million dollars a year puts him closer to Jerrick McKinnon than it does David Johnson.  Johnson's a guy with 1 season of quality production.  McKinnon is a 3rd down back who provided little to nothing as a runner in his last couple years in Minnesota.  I  see no scenario where Melvin Gordon isn't worth the same sort of contract that David Johnson has given the massive difference in career production. 

Edited by SSG
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SSG said:

This isn't even remotely true.  The Chargers line was nothing but awful in every year of Gordon's career but 2018 (5th, 26th, 23rd, & 31st).  In 2018 prior to his injury he was a 5 1/4 yard per carry back who averaged over 125 yards from scrimmage and a TD+ per game.  IMO Gordon's issue isn't production it's availability.  

I hand out footballs to counterpoints that include DVOA data like candy.