The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Sure you can.

You just have to get some control over both lines.  Our OL is good enough already and getting better.  Our DL needs help.

Get control of that defensive line of scrimmage and that'll make us even scarier.

We will continue to scheme guys open.  And Adams will surely help out the spacing and coverages.  We can get by with those receivers.  It is the DL that needs the help.

Some of these other teams have elite corners that can completely nullify Adams. That's the core problem going forward.

Edited by Howler

Just now, JBURGE said:

If the Bengals have actually played hard to get with AJ Green to boost his value, I am in awe.

I wanted Sanu or Sanders badly. I would love to get Leonard Williams too, but at the same time we either pay him or let him walk. We have to pay Clark, ans we already paid Z and Preston. That's a ton of money on the DL. I am fine enough with the DL to let that be our top priority in the off-season tbh

I think with Rodgers aging and with how healthy this team is this year you need to gamble your future a bit to capitalize on a small window. 

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is the linebacker play sketchy because they aren't good, or because we seem to only have one on the field most of the time? I really don't know.  Did Burks or Goodson get on the field at all against the Chiefs? I saw what I think was a lot more Fackrell and Gary.

Yeah .. seems that Martinez is the only one that sees the field regularly.  I understand it last night .. the Chiefs don't run the ball .. they are pass happy.  The more DB's the merrier.  I guess I am not sure if Burks can even play at this point.  When it comes to adding a linebacker at the deadline I was thinking of a guy like Raekwon McMillan who has some time left on his deal and could push for a starting gig next year if Martinez walks in free agency.

As for the DLine .. they were playing Za'Darius Smith at tackle a ton, and using Fackrell and Gary on the edge.  I think the Packers could probably use another good option for the inside.  Z Smith is already pretty beat up .. rather see him on the edge.

31 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I can't disagree more. WR is a weak spot and we should be trying, as I'm sure we are, to improve there. We won't win with complacency. The 49ers, Pats, Eagles, Saints are all looking to get better or have. 

I take no offense to you disagreeing with me.

But you win and lose in the trenches first.

Adams will open up more space within the offense.  And we are utilizing all of our weapons.

Shore up that DL.  Get more stops, get a pass rush up the middle and everything will look better.

Better than trying to acclimate a new WR to our scheme and more importantly to Rodgers.

That's my take.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Howler said:

Some of these other teams have elite corners that can completely nullify Adams. That's the core problem going forward.

The way we've moved him around, they aren't nullifying him 1:1.  They can limit him with different looks, but that should open up more space for other guys.

There's no problem right now, we are scoring points.  The issue is stops on defense.  A DL helps the run game and the pass rush game.  

4 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

How long until Grant sees the field? He was inactive this week, correct? still learning the playbook? or just bad?

Hopefully not long. Shepherd needs a ticket to the PS and Grant needs to start getting some work in the slot. By December, our top 4 WRs should be Adams-MVS-Lazard-Grant. I'd even put Kumerow ahead of Allison at this point. 

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The way we've moved him around, they aren't nullifying him 1:1.  They can limit him with different looks, but that should open up more space for other guys.

There's no problem right now, we are scoring points.  The issue is stops on defense.  A DL helps the run game and the pass rush game.  

If we come across a Lattimore or Gilmore, I don't trust Adams to win enough. And it's really unfair to him because he's not that type of receiver. Rodgers needs another capable body that can consistently win 1 on 1s because that's where the targets will be funneled to, when the chips are down. We can't trust MVS, since he's essentially a shot play decoy. Aside from surrendering a first rounder, Gutekunst has to be exploring the trade market. 

40 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I'm with you but giving someone other than Clark on that D line would do wonders for this defense. I'm still on the Leonard Williams train. Make the contract work any way you can. Don't overpay for a boundary receiver but if you can find an underutilized slot receiver I would love that

His name is Ryan Grant. People forget the Ravens offered this guy $7 mill per year after his best year in Washington. He's not a kid off the street. We just need to play him and quit showing loyalty to a guy like Shepherd because "he worked hard in camp." I think Grant can be at least a 2018 healthy Randall Cobb in this offense if given the chance. 

36 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. seems that Martinez is the only one that sees the field regularly.  I understand it last night .. the Chiefs don't run the ball .. they are pass happy.  The more DB's the merrier.  I guess I am not sure if Burks can even play at this point.  When it comes to adding a linebacker at the deadline I was thinking of a guy like Raekwon McMillan who has some time left on his deal and could push for a starting gig next year if Martinez walks in free agency.

As for the DLine .. they were playing Za'Darius Smith at tackle a ton, and using Fackrell and Gary on the edge.  I think the Packers could probably use another good option for the inside.  Z Smith is already pretty beat up .. rather see him on the edge.

Which actually cuts against Martinez playing. He guy continues to be awful in coverage. The problem is, our ILB room sucks so bad, we can't trust anyone but Martinez to play. Burks was made for a game like last night against those faster skilled players for KC, but we must have so little trust in the guy, he can't even see the field. 

Edited by packfanfb

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Hopefully not long. Shepherd needs a ticket to the PS and Grant needs to start getting some work in the slot. By December, our top 4 WRs should be Adams-MVS-Lazard-Grant. I'd even put Kumerow ahead of Allison at this point. 

is ESB not coming back? i remember them putting him on IR but dont recall if hes done for the season or not. he showed as much promise as MVS did last season. i think you would agree that he would be a huge boost to this WR core. 

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

His name is Ryan Grant. People forget the Ravens offered this guy $7 mill per year after his best year in Washington. He's not a kid off the street. We just need to play him and quit showing loyalty to a guy like Shepherd because "he worked hard in camp." I think Grant can be at least a 2018 healthy Randall Cobb in this offense if given the chance. 

Isn't this guy on his 5th team?

3 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

is ESB not coming back? i remember them putting him on IR but dont recall if hes done for the season or not. he showed as much promise as MVS did last season. i think you would agree that he would be a huge boost to this WR core. 

He was put on IR before the cuts to 53 so he cannot return this year

5 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

ESB is done.

2 minutes ago, Howler said:

Isn't this guy on his 5th team?

I think 4 or 5. Had a pretty solid year in 2017 with Washington with Cousins throwing the rock and got a pretty decent contract offer from the Ravens the following off-season but it was voided due to a failed physical. The guy can play, especially in the role we need.