The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Hopefully not long. Shepherd needs a ticket to the PS and Grant needs to start getting some work in the slot. By December, our top 4 WRs should be Adams-MVS-Lazard-Grant. I'd even put Kumerow ahead of Allison at this point. 

I think the Shepherd experience will end this week, or at least I hope it will.  He doesn't belong on this roster any longer .. too big of a stage for him at this point in time.  He let another one hit the turf last night and got us pinned at the 2 yard line.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think 4 or 5. Had a pretty solid year in 2017 with Washington with Cousins throwing the rock and got a pretty decent contract offer from the Ravens the following off-season but it was voided due to a failed physical. The guy can play, especially in the role we need.  

Strengths

• Excellent route runner with good quickness off the line
  • Reliable, strong hands. Can bring down contested catches in traffic
  • Position versatility, can line up as the x, y, or z receiver depending on the what is needed
  • Dependable on 3rd downs, 68% of career catches have gone for a first down
  • Consistently knows how to get open, cerebral player
  • High character, hard working locker room guy

Weaknesses

• Average athlete. Won’t ever burn corners or win any jump balls
  • Struggles with physicality at the line of scrimmage, not the strongest player
  • Doesn’t create much after the catch, will never scare a defense deep
  • Inconsistent blocker, effort is there just misses a lot of blocks due to size

Seems like a good depth guy if this scouting report is an indication. 

Edited by Howler

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

His name is Ryan Grant. People forget the Ravens offered this guy $7 mill per year after his best year in Washington. He's not a kid off the street. We just need to play him and quit showing loyalty to a guy like Shepherd because "he worked hard in camp." I think Grant can be at least a 2018 healthy Randall Cobb in this offense if given the chance. 

I hope your right. Just scares me that no team wanted him all off season if he was so good. 

13 minutes ago, Howler said:

If we come across a Lattimore or Gilmore, I don't trust Adams to win enough. And it's really unfair to him because he's not that type of receiver. Rodgers needs another capable body that can consistently win 1 on 1s because that's where the targets will be funneled to, when the chips are down. We can't trust MVS, since he's essentially a shot play decoy. Aside from surrendering a first rounder, Gutekunst has to be exploring the trade market. 

I don't think any corner is covering 'Vante 1:1 for any extended period of time.

Agree that another WR would be nice.  I just happen to think that we can win with what we have on offense.  Trench is solid.  We have other guys capable of making plays when we put them in the right position.  And MLF/Rodgers is just doing just that.

Look.  I'd love another WR.  But we just got one (Grant) and it's taken him quite some time to get up to speed.  

You get a DL and you just put him in there.  Our defensive trench is not solid.

I can be "sold" on another WR, though.  Just not as easily as I'm "sold" on a DL like Williams. 

I thought that Jordan Matthews was released.  He's another one that could function as a slot.

He's bounced around, too, despite some good early production.  I don't know what his deal is.  Kind of like Grant.  I more or less put them in the same category, so when you've got one of them, you probably don't need two.

22 minutes ago, Howler said:

If we come across a Lattimore or Gilmore, I don't trust Adams to win enough. And it's really unfair to him because he's not that type of receiver. Rodgers needs another capable body that can consistently win 1 on 1s because that's where the targets will be funneled to, when the chips are down. We can't trust MVS, since he's essentially a shot play decoy. Aside from surrendering a first rounder, Gutekunst has to be exploring the trade market. 

Do you trust any of our Wideouts? Like what more does Davante Adams need to do to get your trust? To say you dont trust him 1:1 against shut down corners is ludicrous especially with the way the NFL is tailoring their rules in favir of offensive players..

Edited by Nick_gb

12 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Do you trust any of our Wideouts? Like what more does Davante Adams need to do to get your trust? To say you dont trust him 1:1 against shut down corners is ludicrous especially with the way the NFL is tailoring their rules in favir of offensive players..

Not against the elite ones that can outquick and outrun him. He's not Julio Jones. 

Edited by Howler

When Gutenheimer trades away Davis he left a hole.  Needs to be filled now Shepard obviously is not the answer.  It was a blow to our special teams for sure.  Really hope they figure this out in the next few weeks.  Saw that they put Sullivan back on kick return duty.  He was OK better than Shepard.  Something has to be done to improve our return unit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Did we cut that one dude that was supposed to be a good KR? Used to be on the Chiefs but I'm blanking on his name.

Yup, and hes on our practice squad now.  Its the answer to the problem staring us right in the face.  He handled the KR deal more than reasonably the limited action that he had.

• Like 1