The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

Looking at the teams in the playoff discussion I think we are talking Seattle, Minnesota, SF,NO, maybe Carolina I feel like I’m missing someone here but the point is they all run the ball effectively. This makes williams much more valuable to me than any receiver or running back.

On 25/10/2019 at 4:32 PM, Golfman said:

No brainer of all no brainers IMO. WORST case scenario is he signs somewhere else in the off season and we get a 3rd comp in 2021 after getting him for the push this year. Best case is we extend him and he's dominant for 5 more years for us. 

A lot less wear and tear on Clark too as he wouldn't be in as many passing situation plays either. 

I'd do a third and Josh Jackson to be honest and maybe we get a 5th back. 

If we don't sign any other free agents.

In reality based on Gute's way of doing things there is no compensation pick. Personally I'd only do it if you can agree an extension at a number the team is happy with. 

4 hours ago, Reaper said:

Looking at the teams in the playoff discussion I think we are talking Seattle, Minnesota, SF,NO, maybe Carolina I feel like I’m missing someone here but the point is they all run the ball effectively. This makes williams much more valuable to me than any receiver or running back.

Dallas. They're going to win the NFC Least...not Philly...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

If we don't sign any other free agents.

In reality based on Gute's way of doing things there is no compensation pick. Personally I'd only do it if you can agree an extension at a number the team is happy with. 

Not sure based on our cap situation we'll be able to go after free agents next year. At some point we have to extend Martinez. What about Bulaga? Then after 2020 you have to get guys like Linsley, Clark, King back in the fold or let them walk.

If we would extend Williams you can bet we're not going after free agents of any magnitude next year. The financials don't really allow it. 

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Not sure based on our cap situation we'll be able to go after free agents next year. At some point we have to extend Martinez. What about Bulaga? Then after 2020 you have to get guys like Linsley, Clark, King back in the fold or let them walk.

If we would extend Williams you can bet we're not going after free agents of any magnitude next year. The financials don't really allow it. 

We'll have money to sign at least one upper tier FA, whether that would be a guy like Leonard Williams or someone else. We have to extend Clark and we don't even have to do that this off season, but I'm guessing we will. Would be smart to resign Bulaga as well. Martinez is as good as gone, GB isn't, and shouldn't pay him any kind of top ILB deal. 

Packers are going to get a lot free cap once guys like Graham, Tramon, Taylor come off the books as well. 

All that being said, the ability to resign Williams wouldn't factor into my decision to trade for him...at all. If we're 7-1, essentially in control of our own destiny for a first round bye, you make the move. Losing one day 2 pick is well worth even a rental who can help you get to the Super Bowl. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We'll have money to sign at least one upper tier FA, whether that would be a guy like Leonard Williams or someone else. We have to extend Clark and we don't even have to do that this off season, but I'm guessing we will. Would be smart to resign Bulaga as well. Martinez is as good as gone, GB isn't, and shouldn't pay him any kind of top ILB deal. 

Packers are going to get a lot free cap once guys like Graham, Tramon, Taylor come off the books as well. 

All that being said, the ability to resign Williams wouldn't factor into my decision to trade for him...at all. If we're 7-1, essentially in control of our own destiny for a first round bye, you make the move. Losing one day 2 pick is well worth even a rental who can help you get to the Super Bowl. 

I'm not against trading for him and have said as much. I disagree on Martinez. First, I don't see him getting the big deal that some of the inside linebackers have gotten. He's in the second tier, solid but unspectacular. 

Tramon is off the books in 2020 so he's not figured into our 2020 cap situation as it stands. Graham and Taylor are probably both cap casualties this off season If King continues to play reasonably well I'd like to extend him this off season before he thinks he's worth 15 million a year. So IMO, we have to extend King and Clark this off season we well as re-sign Martinez and Bulaga. Bulaga is a risky re-sign but might be necessary. I don't see Matt Light being ready to handle RT full-time. 

We've got about 33.5 in cap space right now to do that with. Graham and Taylor give you 12.5 additional so we're at 46. In this hypothetical we'd be on the hook this year for 8 million of Williams salary in 2019. Now you're down to 38 million next year. 

That is tough sledding to get all those guys back. I'M still in on getting Williams. It can be done if the deals are structured correctly. 

59 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We're going to have 24.5 million in cap space as of now.

Cutting Graham gets you to 32.5.

If you decide to go that direction Lane Taylor gets you to 37.

Bring back the EFRA's and the Draft Class and you're down to 30.

+++

Depth Chart going into the year assuming you pick up the EFRAs (Bold needs a lot of work):

QB: Rodgers/Boyle

RB: Jones/Williams/Williams

FB: Vitale

TE: Tonyan/Sternberger/Baylis

WR: Adams/MVS/EQ/Kumerow/Lazard/Sheppard

LT: Bakhtiari/Light

LG: Jenkins

C: Linsley/

RG: Madison/Pankey

RT: Turner

+++

1T: Clark/Lancaster

3T: Adams

5T: Lowry/Keke

Edge: Z. Smith/P. Smith/Gary/Williams/Roberts

ILB: Burks/Summers/Bolton

CB: Alexander/King/Brown/Jackson/Sullivan/Hollman

S: Amos/Savage/Greene/

P: Scott

K: 

LS: Bradley

+++

Free Agents are:

Bulaga (Need a RT from somewhere. An upgrade over Turner fixes RT and RG. )

Tramon (Need a CB4 from somewhere)

Crosby (Need a K from somewhere)

Allison (Need a WR3 from somewhere, might already be on the roster. Might be a draft pick.)

Lewis (Need a Y from somewhere)

Jason Spriggs (Gone or vet min)

Grant (Doesn't matter)

Ibraheim Camptbell (Doesn't matter)

Kyler Fackrell (OLB4 probably doesn't need a sub. But I feel a little better if Gary is playing better)

BJ Goodson (Could probably use an ILB3, his body is as warm as anybody's)

Danny Vitale (Need a FB, should be dirt cheap)

Malcolm Johnson (I have no idea who this is)

Lucas Patrick (If you let Taylor go, he becomes your first interior sub)

Blake Martinez (Need an ILB1. Likely a free agent if you're not willing to write the check for Martinez)

Jake Kumerow (EFRA)

Robert Tonyan (EFRA)

Chandon Sullivan (EFRA)

Will Redmond (Should be dirt cheap)

Tony Brown (EFRA)

Tyler Lancaster (EFRA)

Allen Lazard (EFRA)

+++

Bulaga probably costs you 3/40ish if you're willing to write the check.

Martinez probably costs you 3/35 if you're willing to write that check.

Lewis is probably worth another contract if this is the offense you're going to be playing. Maybe 2/5

if you're not drafting the Kicker, that's a 3/10 contract you're writing. 

+++

This front office now finds itself with an offseason like Thompson was facing the last few years. Let the home grown guys walk, and try and build it through Free Agency, or keep the same pieces and hope the draft picks push you over the top. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

55 minutes ago, Norm said:

You're the only one on this tip man 

Well let's see. What do we know? First, we know the Packers don't value that position, hell, it's actually been a complaint of mine for years that they don't. Second, we know ILBs have been getting paid big recently. So which is it...is Martinez a top end ILB who is going to get paid big by a team who doesn't value ILBs or is he overrated meaning he wont see a big payday, which would give him a chance at coming back? 

People need to make up their mind. If you think Martinez is that good you cant possibly believe GB is going to shell out that kind of money for him based on his position alone. Another team will outbid us, easily. If you've come to terms with him being a slightly above average ILB who is going to get a slightly above average ILB contract, then I could see the Packers being interested. 

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're going to have 24.5 million in cap space as of now.

Cutting Graham gets you to 32.5.

If you decide to go that direction Lane Taylor gets you to 37.

Bring back the EFRA's and the Draft Class and you're down to 30.

+++

Depth Chart going into the year assuming you pick up the EFRAs (Bold needs a lot of work):

QB: Rodgers/Boyle

RB: Jones/Williams/Williams

FB: Vitale

TE: Tonyan/Sternberger/Baylis

WR: Adams/MVS/EQ/Kumerow/Lazard/Sheppard

LT: Bakhtiari/Light

LG: Jenkins

C: Linsley/

RG: Madison/Pankey

RT: Turner

+++

1T: Clark/Lancaster

3T: Adams

5T: Lowry/Keke

Edge: Z. Smith/P. Smith/Gary/Williams/Roberts

ILB: Burks/Summers/Bolton

CB: Alexander/King/Brown/Jackson/Sullivan/Hollman

S: Amos/Savage/Greene/

P: Scott

K: 

LS: Bradley

+++

Free Agents are:

Bulaga (Need a RT from somewhere. An upgrade over Turner fixes RT and RG. )

Tramon (Need a CB4 from somewhere)

Crosby (Need a K from somewhere)

Allison (Need a WR3 from somewhere, might already be on the roster. Might be a draft pick.)

Lewis (Need a Y from somewhere)

Jason Spriggs (Gone or vet min)

Grant (Doesn't matter)

Ibraheim Camptbell (Doesn't matter)

Kyler Fackrell (OLB4 probably doesn't need a sub. But I feel a little better if Gary is playing better)

BJ Goodson (Could probably use an ILB3, his body is as warm as anybody's)

Danny Vitale (Need a FB, should be dirt cheap)

Malcolm Johnson (I have no idea who this is)

Lucas Patrick (If you let Taylor go, he becomes your first interior sub)

Blake Martinez (Need an ILB1. Likely a free agent if you're not willing to write the check for Martinez)

Jake Kumerow (EFRA)

Robert Tonyan (EFRA)

Chandon Sullivan (EFRA)

Will Redmond (Should be dirt cheap)

Tony Brown (EFRA)

Tyler Lancaster (EFRA)

Allen Lazard (EFRA)

+++

Bulaga probably costs you 3/40ish if you're willing to write the check.

Martinez probably costs you 3/35 if you're willing to write that check.

Lewis is probably worth another contract if this is the offense you're going to be playing. Maybe 2/5

if you're not drafting the Kicker, that's a 3/10 contract you're writing. 

+++

This front office now finds itself with an offseason like Thompson was facing the last few years. Let the home grown guys walk, and try and build it through Free Agency, or keep the same pieces and hope the draft picks push you over the top. 

Other than Bulaga, that FA list is meh....all replaceable backend guys with the exception of a new kicker. 

Lewis and Allison dont even get another offer from me. Tramon is gone. Couple of those guys like Patrick should come back cheap. Martinez I top out around $5 mil. If he gets more than that elsewhere, bye. I'll draft a replacement. 

Pettine can make the call, I'm telling him he can have Martinez or a FA DL and the other will be a rookie we draft. He can choose where the money is spent. I've had enough of the FO determining what position is more important, let the guy who runs the unit make that call and then the FO negotiates from there.

I'd throw 2/28 at Bulaga and see what happens, I don't want that 3rd year, if he gets that offer and is set on it, then I let him go and Pettine can have both Blake and a DL and I'll have an offensive heavy draft.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Pettine can make the call, I'm telling him he can have Martinez or a FA DL and the other will be a rookie we draft. He can choose where the money is spent. I've had enough of the FO determining what position is more important, let the guy who runs the unit make that call and then the FO negotiates from there.

I'd throw 2/28 at Bulaga and see what happens, I don't want that 3rd year, if he gets that offer and is set on it, then I let him go and Pettine can have both Blake and a DL and I'll have an offensive heavy draft.

Yes, all of this.  Let’s empower our field generals, not handcuff them!