The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

Dammit, did I ever miss Kiley at Fangraphs.  They've got some J2 stuff up already.  Yankees are predictably landing the biggest fish, and he looks freaking awesome.  Jasson Dominguez, a Dominican OF.  A's are picking up Robert Puason, the studly Dominican SS prospect that got the Braves in so much trouble for negotiating with when he was 14.  Both of these guys are expected to get $5 million.  

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/updated-july-2-prospect-rankings/

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Dammit, did I ever miss Kiley at Fangraphs.  They've got some J2 stuff up already.  Yankees are predictably landing the biggest fish, and he looks freaking awesome.  Jasson Dominguez, a Dominican OF.  A's are picking up Robert Puason, the studly Dominican SS prospect that got the Braves in so much trouble for negotiating with when he was 14.  Both of these guys are expected to get $5 million.  

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/updated-july-2-prospect-rankings/

This is definitely me being wary after Gilbert Lara busted, but the number of J2 prospects who have swings purely built for showcases is crazy. Dominguez's swing has so much load on his back foot in that video it's crazy. I'm sure he's really good, but it goes to show you those guys are building swings for the 5 minute youtube clip and not for games.

I'm interested to see how International Free Agency starts to play out now with the hard cap and everyone except the Braves out of the penalty box.  Do the Buscones still control the process and direct their players to specific teams, or can any team really swoop in now with more money since 2-3 teams can't just go nuts and sign 5-8 high priced guys each?

Not going to toot their horn too much yet, especially sin Scott Stricklin can screw up anything, but Cole Wilcox and Emerson Hancock are both Georgia Bulldogs that are ranked 1 and 2 on the 2020 draft board for fangraphs right now. We will see what we have with Wilcox. He was a sure fire first rounder in June before saying he was going to Athens. He will be the midweek starter to start the season. Hancock was pretty good at times as a freshman last year, and is pounding the zone at 97 so far today in the opener through three innings. His curve has looked pretty good so far. 

• 3 weeks later...