Cowboys Extend OT La'el Collins 5 years, $50m - $35m GTD

Matts4313

It's an ok deal, not head scratching. Get to lock in an ok piece of their oline for the forseeable future.
(The state of line play is so poor in the league, everyone gets bumped up.)
Which makes more sense given you really have no idea how long you'll have Frederick, the LG spot is TBD with Williams and Tyron Smith has his injury issues.
Need to insure some stability, they now have the right side of their line locked in.

I think the issue would be could you not draft a guy this year to develop to take over next year, and match his level of play? I think you could.
Those are the gambles you have to take if you dont want to held out high and dry.

From a value perspective it probably didn't need to be done now either, but saved a little money getting ahead of it.

The player that made the most sense of this offseason was Dak, they missed that window. Byron Jones it made sense to sign now because of the big impending corner market.
They are getting ahead of the market on either non-premium positions, LB. Or non-premium players, Collins.
Puzzling way to go about it.

23 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

From a value perspective it probably didn't need to be done now either, but saved a little money getting ahead of it.

Collins is a $13m+ player on the free market. Teams would try him at LT knowing that he can fall back into OG, RT and be good enough. At $10m/yr I think its a really solid contract. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Collins is a $13m+ player on the free market. Teams would try him at LT knowing that he can fall back into OG, RT and be good enough. At $10m/yr I think its a really solid contract. 

I agree, in this market they shaved some millions off. Couple other OTs up for deals this next offseason too.

I think if you look at the caliber of player compared to all positions equally, no paying his level of talent $10 million isn't great. But that's not how it works>
Both LT and RT are premium positions with a lack of premium talent, it drives up the cost of them all beyond the talent valuation.

Cowboys want to just cash out with n ok player, knowing they have an all-pro guard next to him to absorb some of his mistakes...there are dumber ways to go about it.
They need a strong enough oline to run the ball the way they need to, and not be collapsed in too quickly to disrupt Daks game. 

I think the only negative of this is the creep of what has gotten them in trouble in the past, locking in mid-tier to lower mid tier talent to long term deals instead of letting them go on their way and replacing them with draft picks. Doing it at important positions like RT makes sense, but you hope it's just those cases.