FA 2020

drfrey13

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Littleton or Schoebert. If not, Kwiatkowski as a MLB who can cover and play in a pinch. 1 year deal with incentives up to 8.

I've been watching broadcast tape on both and I like Schoebert better. In coverage, he reminds me of Sean Lee--the way he sprints out to take away passing lanes. I have to watch more, but he seems about league average against the run.

Littleton is more of a mixed bag to me. He plays the game "lazily." I'm not sure if that's a good thing yet. Against the run, he's very tough to block. He's not tough in a stack and shed way, but more in a slippery way. Also, he never seems to miss a tackle. Against coverage, I just see a guy who trots backward into a zone and is pretty much league average there. The defensive scheme doesn't really challenge him in coverage so it's tough to tell.

PFF grades Littleton way higher than Schobert, and I just think it's because Littleton lacks negative plays. He's a very clean player who never seems to make an egregious mistake or get himself out of position. That said, I can't see spending the $16+ million on him he will likely get.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

would make that cooper deal even better. Cowboys broke because of all their contracts and Cooper so we steal Byron Jones...

in reality would be Jones and 1st for Cooper 😁

“in essence” we’d get the first for Abrams and use the money that would have been required to resign Cooper to get Jones for 15/16m and Abrams for 3M.

for basically equal money I’ll take 1/2 a secondary over Cooper anyway 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I've been watching broadcast tape on both and I like Schoebert better. In coverage, he reminds me of Sean Lee--the way he sprints out to take away passing lanes. I have to watch more, but he seems about league average against the run.

Littleton is more of a mixed bag to me. He plays the game "lazily." I'm not sure if that's a good thing yet. Against the run, he's very tough to block. He's not tough in a stack and shed way, but more in a slippery way. Also, he never seems to miss a tackle. Against coverage, I just see a guy who trots backward into a zone and is pretty much league average there. The defensive scheme doesn't really challenge him in coverage so it's tough to tell.

PFF grades Littleton way higher than Schobert, and I just think it's because Littleton lacks negative plays. He's a very clean player who never seems to make an egregious mistake or get himself out of position. That said, I can't see spending the $16+ million on him he will likely get.

Schoebert is the cheaper option and makes the Raiders better. It's a win win, if we get him. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think that’s a pretty good take.  I also agree that’s too much money for Littleton.

Schobert at 10-12m and Simmons in the draft is my dream LB core.  

Advanced issue found

😐
Just now, Trojan said:

Trent Brown copy pasta contract for Byron Jones (4y/66)
Tyrell Williams copy pasta contract for Joe Schobert (4y/44)
Lamarcus Joyner copy pasta for DJ Reader (4y/42)

I have to watch more of Reader. I liked him coming out of Clemson. He and Maliek Collins were my late-round D-tackles I took in that old "Not-Mock-Draft" game. If I remember correctly he also played baseball and Clemson which I found weird.

Anyone have any concerns with Byron Jones in our division against the Chiefs? He has great arms (Nnamdi level) and size for press, and pretty good in man coverage, but he doesn't play a lot of speed guys in that division.

Although I'm probably nitpicking, any CB might have issues with the Chiefs. Byron/Mullen could be a Top CB Level Tandem and I can't wait for Free Agency. Mullen has so much potential. His hip fluidity is otherworldly. I mentioned that pre-draft he had the best hip fluidity of any corner. Even though I had him graded as a Late 2nd.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Anyone have any concerns with Byron Jones in our division against the Chiefs? He has great arms (Nnamdi level) and size for press, and pretty good in man coverage, but he doesn't play a lot of speed guys in that division.

Although I'm probably nitpicking, any CB might have issues with the Chiefs. Byron/Mullen could be a Top CB Level Tandem and I can't wait for Free Agency. Mullen has so much potential. His hip fluidity is otherworldly. I mentioned that pre-draft he had the best hip fluidity of any corner. Even though I had him graded as a Late 2nd.

B Jones did run a 4.43 forty, 6.78 3 cone drill.  He should be able to run with KC’s guys just as well as any other CB in the league.  By that I mean There aren’t many guys who can do that but Jones would be one of the better ones to attempt it.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I thinking using his size to press at the line might help. But in all honesty who can keep up with that track team they have? Their offense is stupid good, it’s a good thing they don’t have a running back. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 7:15 AM, Darbsk said:

It depends on what you're looking for - if you're looking to buy a team of stars through FA then you're going to have a lot of disappointment. If you're looking to supplement your best players and young draft picks with seasoned vets and a few good value scheme fits it can make a huge difference. Few of the really big money FAs ever play up to their price tag but many under the radar free agents bring excellent value.

I pray they don’t get Jonathan Taylor in round 1.

And let’s also pray that Hill catches another case and they have to release him, while we’re at it.

Edited by jimkelly02