Around the League: 2019 Edition

jetskid007

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

Seriously?  That is how we got to where we got right now.  Which OT would you offer big bucks to?  Good OT especially starting caliber LT rarely are available in FA.  If they are, it is because they are old and expensive or just not good.  We need a young quality OL even is is just a prospect.  That only happens via draft or in rare cases, via trade.

Mitch Morse, Matt Paradis, and even Erek Flowers seem to be working out well for their respective teams. Don't can a strategy because it didn't work for us.

17 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I would rather sign OL in FA than draft them. It takes sometime for the OL guys to get it and there is a huge bust factor with them. Give me a guy that can play right away at an average level. We don't even have avenger level guys. 

Total opposite of what you should do.  Good OL don't hit FA.  Ask NYG fans how they feel about their prized LT in FA a few years back.  They are now looking to cut him he's been so bad.

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Total opposite of what you should do.  Good OL don't hit FA.  Ask NYG fans how they feel about their prized LT in FA a few years back.  They are now looking to cut him he's been so bad.

To be fair, the year that Solder became a FA, I believe he led the league in pressures given up. Luckily, he had Brady to mask the sack number despite the pressures. He was never an elite OT.

That said, can we please trade for Trent Williams.

How many people on this board said before the season started  the Jet have a bad roster, AND ALL THOSE PEPLE WERE RIGHT. It sure looks like Douglas and the rest of the Jets front office feels the same way now. I would not surprise me at all if everybody on the roster no matter who they are could be traded and that goes for Adams also. Darnold is the only one that is safe, only because what we gave up to get him. They is no question next year will be another rebuilding year. Right now we are to busy with what is going on with Jets to talk about Darnold, but I am getting a little concern about him.

4 minutes ago, Jetfan66 said:

To be fair, the year that Solder became a FA, I believe he led the league in pressures given up. Luckily, he had Brady to mask the sack number despite the pressures. He was never an elite OT.

That said, can we please trade for Trent Williams.

By the time this team is good he'll be on the decline.  Don't think we are in that position unless they would take Robby straight up.  

We need to do this thing right and build through the draft.  FA is for complementary pieces, not building blocks.  Great thing is Sam has just finished his 1st season (16 games played) and is only 22.  Most QB's are 23 when they first come out so we have time to build this right.  Bad news is we waste his cheaper years with poor drafting.  I thought maybe we could retool but that seems like a bandaid for a bullet wound.

Sources: Jets looking to trade Le’Veon Bell before 4 pm deadline.

I hope this is true.  It's amazing that Maye was shot down according to reports and Bell is on the market.  

Hope we really move some people soon.  

Robby for a late 2 or early 3
Bell for a 2
Maye for a 3
Beachum for a 4th/5th

Make it happen Doug.

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

By the time this team is good he'll be on the decline.  Don't think we are in that position unless they would take Robby straight up.  

We need to do this thing right and build through the draft.  FA is for complementary pieces, not building blocks.  Great thing is Sam has just finished his 1st season (16 games played) and is only 22.  Most QB's are 23 when they first come out so we have time to build this right.  Bad news is we waste his cheaper years with poor drafting.  I thought maybe we could retool but that seems like a bandaid for a bullet wound.

Understand the non-competing aspect. However, development aspect is more important. As it stands, Sam cannot develop behind this line. Trent Williams should have 2 years remaining after this year (assuming this year doesn't count). No reason to think those won't be at a high level, considering he is a top 3 LT in the league. We can use Trent as a stop gap. This is extremely similar to the Rams and Andrew Whitworth. Before the Rams signed him, they weren't a juggernaut but more a team trying to compete and develop their QB. And Whitworth was in his mid 30s.

Trade for Williams, sign other holes, draft Chase Young, draft OL. Then next year, we can use a 2nd rd pick on a LT of the future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

Man, Bell has been a great locker room guy. Him and Adams were setting the culture. Hopefully he's on board with this because I agree he's being wasted, but I really don't want to keep spurning every great player we get.

I was always pro-Bell during his holdout because I understood it from a business prospective. Never realized what a great guy/teammate he was, media did him dirty  

1 minute ago, Jetfan66 said:

Understand the non-competing aspect. However, development aspect is more important. As it stands, Sam cannot develop behind this line. Trent Williams should have 2 years remaining after this year (assuming this year doesn't count). No reason to think those won't be at a high level, considering he is a top 3 LT in the league. We can use Trent as a stop gap. This is extremely similar to the Rams and Andrew Whitworth. Before the Rams signed him, they weren't a juggernaut but more a team trying to compete and develop their QB. And Whitworth was in his mid 30s.

Trade for Williams, sign other holes, draft Chase Young, draft OL. Then next year, we can use a 2nd rd pick on a LT of the future.

They want a first round pick though.  What are you trading for him?  A second and more?  This draft is deep on the OL (this year).  Good chance a starting OG is sitting there in the early part of round 2.  Give me that over a 2 year window for a LT.  Top of the draft may have two elite LT prospects (Thomas/Wirfs) lets not get cute trading for 30+ year old linemen.  Be smart and invest in the OL in the draft.

Edited by Rockice_8

5 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Bells deserves better than the Jets

Yeah, you are right, did you see Bell's stats for is first seven games I posted yesterday with the Jets, they are horrible. If that don't tell the front office how bad our O line is  I don't know what will.

Bell has been everything we could ask for and then some, but I would absolutely trade him for a 2nd if it were offered. He signed a glorified "2 year deal" with us, but with the looks of it, we won't necessarily be contending for a SB next year, making his stint with us a publicity stunt. 

Adding a 2nd round pick and an additional $15.5 million in cap next year > 28 year old Le'Veon Bell for 1.5 seasons.