2019 Week 2 PACKERS vs vikings GAME DAY THREAD

Shanedorf

6 minutes ago, persiandud said:

i don't buy this. kirk is a pretty good QB. i think we need to beat up their pass pro and stop the run. kirk is a good QB, he can exploit defenses if he has time, unlike Trubisky 

Agree. Stop the run on early downs. Don’t give up big plays. Once the Vikings get a penalty or lose yardage on a blown up run and they have to pass, attack that rookie center and journeyman guard pair to make sure Cousins doesn’t get time on third and 6+. Do that and we should get off the field on defense and have a good chance at a W.

Edited by boratt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, boratt said:

Agree. Stop the run on early downs. Don’t give up big plays. Once the Vikings get a penalty or lose yardage on a blown up run and they have to pass, attack that rookie center and journeyman guard pair to make sure Cousins doesn’t get time on third and 6+. Do that and we should get off the field and have a good chance at a W.

for sure. need to exploit that OL. i like the matchup of our front against theirs

my main concern is the offense having a slow start again. lafleur keeps talking about establishing the running game (suboptimal philosophy in the modern game tbh) but i'm not sure we can get the run going against the vikes defense. at their best they are just as ferocious as the bears 

• Like 1

Vikings have some incredible strengths that make them very tough. 

They have a complete defense.

On offense they have a Probowl caliber running back, two Probowl caliber WRs, a very good TE and a quarterback who can deliver strikes when he has time..... and a couple good OL.

Their weakspot is up the middle of their OL mixed with the immobile QB. That’s a bad pairing for them. We need to blow up a run or two, get them into a passing down and take down the statue. Minnesota WILL get yards, but if we make them take the long route by not giving up any big plays, we’re built to crush them on third down. And we do have the splash defenders to get them to third down eventually so I like our chances.

Edited by boratt
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, persiandud said:

i don't buy this. kirk is a pretty good QB. i think we need to beat up their pass pro and stop the run. kirk is a good QB, he can exploit defenses if he has time, unlike Trubisky 

part of being QB is avoiding the rush.

but we need to stop the rush and make kirk beat us. if he throws it less than 15 times, somethings wrong

Edited by Malfatron

2 minutes ago, persiandud said:

if you mean avoiding the rush by making quick decisions, sure. but if you meant mobility, then i disagree. your QB doesn't need to be mobile. tom brady has won 6 SBs 

Very true. The Patriot offense has evolved very quick release timing by acquiring very smart players who can be counted on to run precise routes in tight spaces. Brady has perfected those short, accurate passes. They run the ball and then take shots deep. That’s an incredible offense, one of a kind. They also make very very few mistakes so they always seem to be in good down and distance. Just incredibly smart, disciplined offense. My favorite offense I’ve ever watched.

Cousins doesn’t get rid of it as quick. So he’s gonna be a sitting duck if we can get them to 3rd and long. 

10 minutes ago, persiandud said:

if you mean avoiding the rush by making quick decisions, sure. but if you meant mobility, then i disagree. your QB doesn't need to be mobile. tom brady has won 6 SBs 

making quick, good decisions under pressure.

we are going to have to get pressure and key in on the run. make cousins play qb in terms of making those good decisions on the fly and if it does so, tip your hat

47 minutes ago, persiandud said:

He folds like a cheap suit under pressure.  He is an average starting QB nothing special.  Need to get a couple of hits on him early shake him up.  Crowd gets into it he'll throw up a pick.  He's a little better then Trubisky not by much though.  Stop the run we will win the game.  Cousins won't beat us not with our secondary and on the road.

I watched the Vikings game Sunday and generally follow the team since I live in the TC.

Just due to game flow there aren’t a ton of great takes to be made from their Atl game (up 14-0 after an blocked punt and int after like 5 min).They will try to be more balanced this year rushing but the 10 passing attempts was more due to circumstances. They will run their fair share of 12 personnel, so it will be interesting to see how we align with that. Their line isn’t bottom 3 anymore but it still isn’t great. They have a J McCray sized hole with Pat Aflein at one G. I’m also  interested to see how their tackles do in a hostile environment on passing downs. 

On D I do think we can move it on them. Their D doesn’t travel as well as you’d think. Looking at yards per play (which is what most handicappers use) going back 2 years they have been crazy good at home and mortal on the road (4.5 yards per play at home which is elite vs 5.3 on the the road which is middle of the pack). This also shows up in the scoreboard (averaged about 22 ppg on road vs 17 at home the past 2 years). Atl moved the ball okay vs MN, just had turnovers. Between the lack of noise and AR being Uber conservative, they won’t be +3 in that category.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scoremore said:

When they lay out a point spread that is a very careful and thought out assessment of winning chances.  The odds maker is the expert.  I do pay attention to the line as it it usually a pretty good indication of the final results.  However this is my prediction for the game just as good as anyone.  We will have to stop the run in this one that is most important.  Cousins will have difficulty throwing against us.  Likewise the Packers offense will struggle again.  The Vikings have a very formidable D.  So expecting 10 pts from the O and either a pick six or special teams score.  The Vikings will struggle although think we will have difficulty with their run game.  They put up 13 on us.  There is that better?

Actually, the OP was great. And thank you for a good response to boot.

Re-reading my response to your post I can see how you may have thought I was dismissing your ideas as unthoughtful and that wasn’t what I meant. I like that you added the betting line to the conversation. The only thing I know about gambling, though, is that the line is meant to attract an equal amount of money to both sides of the wagering proposition. The oddsmaker’s feelings aren’t hurt if he predicts the outcome wrong, but his bottom line is affected if he fails to get money on both sides.

So, if you are looking at a narrow victory hinging on a ST/defensive score (thoughtfully so), and I am looking at a narrow loss due to a failure of the offense to be as effective as Minnesota’s, I suppose the oddsmaker is left to call it a toss-up. Not because HE thinks it’s a toss-up, but because he knows the betters are thinking it’s a toss-up—Thus the old three point home field advantage spread. 

• Like 2

Cousins' biggest weakness is that if the read isn't there, he has no freaking clue how to improvise.

I'm honestly scared for this game. This offense probably won't get going anytime soon with the defenses we're facing, and while that was a great defensive performance last week, it was against the Bears without their starting TE. This game will show us much better who we are.